News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie Support

Started by Diane, April 15, 2014, 09:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane

Baby boomer needs help with basic set up.
I've converted all of my household wifi to ethernet via 5 port ethernet hub (health reasons).
Switched remote landline to corded style too.

Getting rid of Comcast cable TV soon and plan to discontinue Comcast phone service.
Need to  keep internet service through Comcast via ethernet via Comcast issued modem.   
Modem only has one ethernet line, and two phone line ports.

What OBi device would best meet my need to have Vestalink phone service, ethernet to two laptops, ethernet to hp fax machine? 

Do I need to order any adapters for the corded phone I'll be using?

Does anyone know if Comcast will block the alternate phone service as I've read in other postings?

mo832

I would call myself a "seasoned newbie" or a "sophomore". So don't treat this info as gospel, but my sense from the info you provided is that you would need a separate router with no wifi plugged into your comcast modem, and that would give you multiple ethernet ports. Then, you could use ANY Obi device from 100 on up to plug in to one of your router slots, and sign up with Vestalink.

If my understanding is correct with regard to external routers as other threads here have talked about, you should not have a problem with comcast "blocking" your Obi phone service as it is just treated as data at that point.

Again, I stand to be corrected if something I've written is not accurate.

EDIT: I just noticed the part about your 5-port ethernet hub. That most likely takes care of the "router" that I described. All you need to do is plug your Obi into the hub, and any standard modular phone cord into the Obi.

Diane

Forgive my lack of understanding of the components, but if I have a ethernet (5 hub) plugged into the back of the Comcast modem via an ethernet cable, then into each device from the hub, do I still need a router?

mo832

Most likely, no. See the paragraph after the "Edit" portion of my previous post.

The only reason you might need a router is if the "hub" has no router features of its own AND your modem blocks certain addresses. But that is unlikely and you can always try that later if and when your first try doesn't work.

drgeoff

1.  If the 5 ports of the 'hub' are all labelled the same way eg 1 through 5, it is probably a 5 port ethernet switch with no routeing capability whatsoever.  If it is older than about 10 years it might even be an ethernet hub (in the strict technical meaning of 'hub').  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub.

However if its ethernet sockets are actually grouped as 4 + 1, labelled something like LAN1 through LAN4 and Internet or WAN on the odd man out, then it would be a router.

If you can find a maker and model number, we should be able to give a definitive answer.

2.  I'm not familiar with Comcast modems.  If it has no inbuilt Wi-Fi then its single ethernet socket almost certainly indicates that is has no routeing capability and will need a separate router (not an ethernet switch or ethernet hub) to support more than one PC, OBi etc.

KAura

I see no reason to get rid of the wifi router unless
you absolutely don't need it.  Most routers add an
additional layer of security to your LAN.

Under 'most' circumstances you can simply connect
your devices via ethernet and turn off wifi totally.

giqcass

Vestalink has an alternate port recommendation that should deal with the Comcast hardware.  I think it's a matter of their hardware using port 5060 not blocking it.  

Can I assume the 2 laptops and the fax machine all work correctly when connected to your 5 port hub?  If they do you probably don't need to worry about upgrading it.  In which case the following recommendations apply.

1 phone line with up to 5 phones connected to it.  Obi100 should work fine.

I find this chart useful when deciding what you need.  Don't worry about the 300 or 302 they are meant for the commercial market.  The FXO port is for use with a landline service.  If you plan on ditching your current phone service you don't need that. The FXS ports are where you plug your phone in.  You only need 2 if you plan on 2 lines that will work independent of each other.  Otherwise 1 port with a splitter will work.  The Obi 202 is the only consumer product obihai makes that has it's own wired routing capability.  With the Obi202 you could plug the Obi in between the modem and your hub to take advantage of it's Quality of Service settings.  That is part of it's routing capability.

Long live our new ObiLords!

Diane

The name of what I was referring to as a "hub" apparently is not.  It is a "switch" purchased at local Radio Shack: "Linksys 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch - Plug and Play - Insant wired connectivity for up to 5 devices."

We were not able to get an internet connection on one of the laptops with the (above) configuration.  Called tech support and spent time on computer programming without success.  Also took Dell and did not work either.
Only one of the laptops is connecting to internet as is fax machine.  (Still don't know why 2 devices work and 2 don't) but...

Seem that replacing the (above) ethernet "switch" device and replacing with a standard router with 4 ethernet ports is what is necessary according to popular opinion, then purchase the OBi as described in earlier post?  I hope there are routers that I don't have to hook up wifi which was the original goal.

Thanks for all the advise and support!

giqcass

Most routers will have WiFi but it should not be difficult to find one that allows you to turn WiFi off.
Is this the switch you have?
It has Quality of service which is good but it doesn't appear to have everything you need unless you used it with an Obi202.  With the Obi202 connected between your router and the switch you would have the routing capability that appears to be missing in your current network.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MurrayB

If you cancel your phone service from Comcast you no longer need to rent the modem from Comcast. They charge $ 8.  per month probably plus tax. I replaced my rental modem with a Motorola Surfboard I purchased for about $ 100. it has four Ethernet ports and WiFi which you can disable. In less then a year you will have amortized the purchase.

Good Luck!

sailing

A cable modem only connects you to the internet. You may be able to connect one device to the modem without a router but that's it. You need a router to connect multiple devices. (If the modem has routing capability, it would have more then one ethernet port on it.) The router has a built in firewall which is something you definitely want. If you plug that hub/switch into the router, then you could add more devices to the network through the hub.

All routers come with wifi now. Just turn it off. I know the new Linksys routers (probably all) come with a cd to help set up the router.

drgeoff

On ebay you can probably find a cheap wireless router that is only 'b/g' Wi-Fi.  Few people want these now that 'n' Wi-Fi is available.  However, if you are going to be turning off the Wi-Fi, then 'b/g' is not an issue.

Diane

Quote from: giqcass on April 15, 2014, 08:49:48 PM
Most routers will have WiFi but it should not be difficult to find one that allows you to turn WiFi off.
Is this the switch you have?
It has Quality of service which is good but it doesn't appear to have everything you need unless you used it with an Obi202.  With the Obi202 connected between your router and the switch you would have the routing capability that appears to be missing in your current network.

Yes, that is the one.

Diane

Quote from: MurrayB on April 16, 2014, 04:08:21 AM
If you cancel your phone service from Comcast you no longer need to rent the modem from Comcast. They charge $ 8.  per month probably plus tax. I replaced my rental modem with a Motorola Surfboard I purchased for about $ 100. it has four Ethernet ports and WiFi which you can disable. In less then a year you will have amortized the purchase.

Good Luck!

Very interesting!  Then, if I move, I can still take the Surfboard with me to a new location and use there as well I assume.
The 4 ports you mentioned on the Surfboard....would that "replace" need for router to or just the modem rental (which sounds great!)
When "turning off wifi feature" is that generally a flip of switch so to speak, or something more detailed?

Diane

giqcass - re: comments near posted chart

I could probably save some $$ with the Obi100.

What is Quality of Service settings with the Obi202 that I would be sacrificing if I went with an Obi100 (not familiar w/QoS term and function(s)?

Since the ethernet "hub" (switch) that I purchased seems to need a router or router feature, would either of the above serve as a router? (Obi100 or Obi202).  If so, I can see if it has the number of ports I need, then I can return the ethernet hub I bought.

drgeoff

OBi100 has no routeing capability.

OBi202 has an inbuilt router but only 1 LAN port.  You would need your 5 port Linksys.  That would give you a total of 4 ports for wiring to your PC(s), smart TV. etc.

I've never seen or heard of a Wi-Fi router that has an external (or internal) switch for turning off the Wi-Fi.  You use a web browser to access the router's configuration pages and untick a box or select an option from drop-down choices.

MurrayB

The  Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 is the model that I have. It has four Ethernet ports which eliminates the need for a router. You can turn off the wireless by accessing the unit via your web browser that will give you complete control of the device. I turned off the WiFi in the Surfboard via the browser because I use a different high power device with repeaters. Yes, the modem is yours to do with what you wish. However, when you install the modem you have to contact Comcast tech support to activate the modem on their system.

Hope this helps!

dudly

I canceled Comcast voice as they were going to up my fee.  I returned the Arris modem that had voice included and a rental fee of $8.00.  I purchased a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 for about 70 or 80 bucks from Amazon.  I only needed the modem as I already have a fast router. 

You can activate the modem with Comcast by yourself or with Comcast's help.  I decided to do it myself and it went smoothly.  If you do it yourself, remember to connect the modem directly to the computer until you have it activated and then you can add the router back.  Once you have the new modem connected to your computer, open a browser and go to comcast.com/activate and it will walk you through the process.  As I remember, I only needed my account number and the telephone number I was using with Comcast.  If that does not work, call Comcast and they will have you up  and running in just a few minutes.

Diane

When I get the OBi, and want to keep my phone number that I've had forever, do I connect the OBi first to import the number before cancelling it from my current phone Co. (Comcast)?   (If I cancel first, then I'll lose the number, correct?)

I'm so appreciating all of your advice!

AlanB

Quote from: Diane on April 16, 2014, 03:39:23 PM
When I get the OBi, and want to keep my phone number that I've had forever, do I connect the OBi first to import the number before cancelling it from my current phone Co. (Comcast)?   (If I cancel first, then I'll lose the number, correct?)

I'm so appreciating all of your advice!
You will first need to set up account with new provider. The use that providers method to port your current phone number. Do NOT close your old account until the port is 100% complete.