News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What service to use after May 15th 2014 with my Obi110? [noob alert!]

Started by logicliker, April 15, 2014, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadesofidaho

I only used my OBI to make outgoing calls. I have no other service on it and do not even know or care about my google voice phone number.No text no messages. I call a few people and tell them not to call me on that number if they see it on their caller ID.

Sooooooo I have been reading until my brain is totally plugged up with confusion. I see Callcentric will not work for me because the people I call use Cell and land line phones.  I do not mind paying some$$ But 250 minutes for the other service is not usually enough for me. I call Mom and a few friends on a cancer support group. Never know when they or ME needs the support. I do not need the 911 service We still have a land line. Have to keep it for the internet. GGGRRR

I am also a NOOB on this phone deal. I did have MJ but hated it.

Thanks for any direction here.  Chris

AlanB

Shadesofidaho. If you only make outgoing calls and don't need 911 consider CircleNet.

7Priest7

Quote from: shadesofidaho on May 01, 2014, 02:32:14 PM
We still have a land line. Have to keep it for the internet. GGGRRR

Are you sure about this?
Providers have improved their internet only policies over time.
I have comcast internet with no T.V. and no extra fee.
May be worth checking with your ISP/considering a new ISP.

shadesofidaho

7Priest7

Yes I am sure about the need to keep the land line. We live in the middle of nowhere. We are lucky to have high speed internet. Was not so a few years ago. internet is through monopoly phone company. If I want to dump the phone the internet will cost me over $100.00. This phone company serves small areas in a few states. they hold the reins. We just had Dish installed yesterday and they have internet. BUT I did a speed test while he was here and he said we will get no where near the speed through dish. 6 years ago my only internet option was dial up. EEEEEEKKKKKKK With two of us online dial up becomes a cussing match. Heheheh since He got my hand me down computers mine would leave him in the dirt .NOW he is equal to mine so it is good we do have high speed.

I am really not a fan of cell phones. I carry ours when I have to drive the 200 miles round trip to the hospital or 90 miles to the chemo lounge on back roads just in case some thing happens. Otherwise  we never use it.

The price you pay to live in God's Country. ;)

MsCint3

I copied this from Obitalk news release dated, Tuesday, March 18, 2014. It reads..............................

For those who want to continue to use their Google Voice number with a newly configured OBiTALK ASP partner's service, there are a couple options.  The first is to port the Google Voice number to the service provider's network.  This may incur a porting fee and take time to complete. The second way to keep using a Google Voice number is easy and instant. The OBi owner enters a new phone number assigned by the service provider into the Google Voice "forwards calls to" phone settings.  Once this is done, calls to the OBi owner's Google Voice number will be forwarded directly to the OBi device, ringing their attached phone normally. When making calls, if offered by the ASP partner, OBi customers will be able to set up a custom outgoing Caller ID number, e.g. their Google Voice number, during the sign-up process on the ASP partner's website.
I hope that this allay some trepidations.
I chose to do the latter and it works beautifully. 
May the force be with you all :).................................................................................................

Tesla

Quote from: MsCint3 on May 03, 2014, 08:11:19 AM
I copied this from Obitalk news release dated, Tuesday, March 18, 2014. It reads..............................

For those who want to continue to use their Google Voice number with a newly configured OBiTALK ASP partner's service, there are a couple options.  The first is to port the Google Voice number to the service provider's network.  This may incur a porting fee and take time to complete. The second way to keep using a Google Voice number is easy and instant. The OBi owner enters a new phone number assigned by the service provider into the Google Voice "forwards calls to" phone settings.  Once this is done, calls to the OBi owner's Google Voice number will be forwarded directly to the OBi device, ringing their attached phone normally. When making calls, if offered by the ASP partner, OBi customers will be able to set up a custom outgoing Caller ID number, e.g. their Google Voice number, during the sign-up process on the ASP partner's website.
I hope that this allay some trepidations.
I chose to do the latter and it works beautifully. 
May the force be with you all :).................................................................................................

thank you for this! Very helpful. Could you please answer my question below?

Under Obi I have SP1---GV, SP2---blank. I plan to do the following:
-Sign-up for phonepower under SP2
-get a new local number from phonepower
-Set up the newly phone number in GV and fwd my gv calls to that instead of Chats
-Set-up my GV # under phonepower account as outgoing caller id. btw is this possible with this provider (they seem to have the best offer)
-On May 15th my SP1 will stop functioning, do I need to do anything about that? btw what are these Sp1 SP2, like phone lines?

Thank you so much in advance!

ant17

Quote from: shadesofidaho on May 01, 2014, 02:32:14 PM
I only used my OBI to make outgoing calls. I have no other service on it and do not even know or care about my google voice phone number.No text no messages. I call a few people and tell them not to call me on that number if they see it on their caller ID.

Sooooooo I have been reading until my brain is totally plugged up with confusion. I see Callcentric will not work for me because the people I call use Cell and land line phones.  I do not mind paying some$$ But 250 minutes for the other service is not usually enough for me. I call Mom and a few friends on a cancer support group. Never know when they or ME needs the support. I do not need the 911 service We still have a land line. Have to keep it for the internet. GGGRRR

I am also a NOOB on this phone deal. I did have MJ but hated it.

Thanks for any direction here.  Chris

Just courious what company requires you to have a land line for Internet. ATT sure doesn't. I use callcentric for free incoming calls.

MikeHObi

Quote from: ant17 on May 20, 2014, 07:56:39 AM
Just courious what company requires you to have a land line for Internet. ATT sure doesn't. I use callcentric for free incoming calls.

Some people live in regions where all they can get is DSL service which is over phone lines. 
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

shadesofidaho

ant17 our phone company is MTE communications.  http://mtecom.net/  We are in Midvale,ID.  I know it is hard to believe we have such restrictions here on the phone and internet. The internet speed is good:
Download Speed: 4120 kbps (515 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 41909 kbps (5238.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

and I think it is under $65.00  a month for both phone and internet.

I was busy with other things and did not get my OBI switched over and I also discovered it is still working with GV. Thought I would drop in and see if it was also working for others.  Still undecided what to do.

Rick

I think that a company is not allowed to REQUIRE you to have a landline if you have DSL.  They have to provide DSL without a landline, which is called "naked".  HOWEVER, nothing stops them from charging more to just have DSL, vs. DSL and a landline.  They can price things how they wish.

shadesofidaho

I am computer Tech challenged. I am not sure we have DSL. We have a fiber optic line to the house and the wireless modem?( Small Black Box)  is connected to it. It does not come through the phone line now. It used to come through the phone line. We do loose the internet when the power goes off.

I know it is hard for people to imagine the kind of area we live in in Idaho. This is sticksville. 20 miles one way to a grocery store. Five businesses in town. Bar, post office and library. Well there is also the Fire Station all volunteer and ambulance connected to it or part of it. And then the telephone company and small small airport. We live with the oddities of small town life to enjoy the rest of the blessings. Been in this area 20 years and where we moved from was even worse. LOL Population 42. Oh hahaha I just checked and now the population there is SEVEN people as of 2012.

zorlac

"This is sticksville. 20 miles one way to a grocery store. Five businesses in town. Bar, post office and library. We live with the oddities of small town life to enjoy the rest of the blessings."

Dude, I know exactly what you mean, my Son lives in Sandpoint.
Me & the wife did 6200mi round trip from NJ on my Yamaha FJR1300 s/t last July to visit him.
Came in via Kalispell, MT & back down through Stanley, ID on the way back.
I couldn't decide if MT or ID was more beautiful!!!  ;)
I'm on 5.5 wooded acres in southern NJ so it's not too bad.

shadesofidaho

I totally forgot we also have a cafe. I am such a good cook we prefer to eat at home. We lived in Clayton 38 miles from Stanley years ago. Sandpoint is HUGE. Montana is Gorgeous but weather is better over here. Still get four seasons but usually they are not as brutal as Montana.

My OBI is still working. I am still undecided.   ???  ???  ???

zorlac

Quote from: shadesofidaho on May 21, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
My OBI is still working. I am still undecided.   ???  ???  ???
Personally, I'm riding that train till it derails.  ;D

Michael_Reeder

Quote from: Rick on May 21, 2014, 05:48:55 AM
I think that a company is not allowed to REQUIRE you to have a landline if you have DSL.  They have to provide DSL without a landline, which is called "naked".  HOWEVER, nothing stops them from charging more to just have DSL, vs. DSL and a landline.  They can price things how they wish.

I used to have DSL without a land line through Verizon.  Verizon refers to this as a "dry loop".  It was $29-$35/month a few years ago.

In addition to the sticks, some cities have horrible service.

At my house in Baltimore City, I can get Clear Broadband (4Mbps Down/1.3 Mbps Up) which is no longer offered to new customers, Verizon DSL (about the same speeds), or Comcast Internet at $70/month.   All other options are data-capped broadband wireless at $40-$70/month that you would not dare run Netflix on.

At my office in Baltimore City, things are "special".  No DSL service, and no official Comcast service (we can pay for a hook-up nearby then run cable technically just outside their service range).  Comcast "Business Class" was 7Mbps Down / 1.5 Mbps Up -- which is horrible.  I have Clear Broadband at this local via a special antenna tower on the roof to catch signal from a faraway tower.  There are NO good options.  I actually considered satellite!

I drive 2 miles outside Baltimore and marvel at Internet speeds in areas the companies care about.

-- Michael