News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vestalink: Set-up Instructions for Replacing Google Voice

Started by Chris, April 15, 2014, 09:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I was able to successfully set up Vestalink on my Obi to replace my GV service. I like it. The voice sounds clear. Best of all, it is one of the cheaper alternatives available. You can pay $29.99 for 1 year or $49.99 for 2 years. It seems like the service is simple and there are not much other charges. I hear Avneo will nickel and dime you.

In any case, here is how to set up Obi so that your GV phone calls will be forwarded to your Vestalink.

1. Go to www.vestalink.com to familiarize yourself with the service.
2. Watch the following video on YouTube. While it is promotional, it actually contains important details on how to set up Vestalink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGrbnevPNh4
3. Go to the bottom of the www.vestalink.com website and sign up for an account.
4. On Page 1 of the sign up, enter you e-mail address and password for the Vestalink website.
5. On Page 2 of the sign up, enter your zip code and pick your desired Area Code and City. Click Continue.
6. On Page 3 of the sign up, enter your E911 dispatch info. Click Continue.
7. On Page 4 of the sing up, select this option: <Bring your own device / Softphone / Smartphone / Tablet / Obi Adapter. Then click the blue bar that says "Select Bring your own device /Softphone/ Smartphone / Tablet/ Obi Adapter - Click Here"
8. Page 5 will be skipped.
9. On Page 6, click the box that says "I hereby acknowledge that i have read and consent to the Intelafone Terms of Service..."
10. On Page 6, your also need to verify your identity by confirming your phone. You will need to put in a phone number (cell phone or non-voip landline) . Once you enter that number, they will call that phone and call a confirmation number. Type this number into the website.
11. Click "Start Your Free Trial".
12. You will now be presented with Vestalink's website.
13. On Vestalink's website, go to Devices and click Softphone/BYOD.
14. There are 2 ways to configure your Obi. The Easy Setup did not work for me so I went to the manual setup.
Look at the Vestalink Sip Credentials. You will need this information to manually set up Obi.
16. Log in to www.obitalk.com
17. Go to OBi Dashboard and click the picture of the cog (gear).
18. Click the cog (gear) to the right of SP2.
19. Click the Next button on the OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers section.
20. Click Generic Service Provider.
21. Then enter the information given on the Vestalink Sip Credentials. Hit Submit.
22. RESET YOUR Obi by unplugging it for 3 seconds and plugging it back.
23. Go back to the Vestalink Customer Web Portal and go to Numbers, then click Spoof Caller ID. This process will allow you to make your Google Voice number appear when you are calling from Vestalink. Enter your Google Voice number. Vestalink will call this number and give you a 2 digit code. You then have to enter this number.
You are almost done.
24. Now we need to forward Google Voice phone calls to Vestalink. Go to Google Voice settings and click add phone number. Enter your Vestalink number. Then Google will call your number and you need to put in the 2 digit code.
25. Finally, go back to back to ObiTalk.com and go to Obi Dashboard. Then click the cog (gear) icon. Then we will delete your Google Voice account in Obi by clicking the trash can beside Google Voice.

JH2011

So far, so good  :) It's all great until you start making any changes here or there. I say "here or there" because I can't remember the specifics of my experience but basically, when I made config changes in the Obi or VL config screens - nothing translated (or migrated) from one to the other. It seemed like the "engine" under VL's hood simply wasn't up to the task and it became disjointed.

What was really disconcerting was the complete removal of the online chat feature on VL's website.

VL's vision is great, I just don't think they're "there" yet.

I agree with your Anveo comment.

TonyTib

That's why I like manual setup - it's easy to make changes (for example, I've setup a codec profile for only G729, since that works better for me).

I've had an Anveo DID for a couple years, and like it, but they are a business oriented a-la-carte ITSP.

So far Vestalink has been working fine for me, and more importantly, my wife.

duile

@Chris - Thank you! Your instructions were very useful. I was able to quickly, and with no hassle, get a free 30 day account with Vestalink, and set it up with my OBi and our Google Voice number (btw, Vestalink is not that easy to remember as a name; Obivoice was easier to remember).

Questions for anyone with knowledge to answer:

QUESTION#1: At your Step#24, when we added the new Vestalink number to Google Voice, should I UNcheck "Forward calls to Google Chat" now, or never? Or wait until after May 15 to uncheck it? Or leave it checked?

QUESTION#2: How do I set up Vestalink, with the Callcentric free NY number as well, to use free incoming from Callcentric? I am hoping people who call us at our landline (ported to google voice#), will get forwarded to the Callcentric free #, so that we get free incoming.

My use: My parents use the OBi + Google Voice for the free calls, which were especially helpful for the long calls to and from Canada. I contacted Vestalink, and Ryan says that they have free calls to Canada (I emailed him because the spreadsheet with the international rates, on their support site, says Canada is $0.02 per min. for most area codes). Still, I think that Vestalink's basic "Lite" plan that everyone is talking about on this forum (1 year for $$29.99) is only for 500 min. total, for both incoming and outgoing, and they count 1-800 numbers in that total. My parents already say that's not enough minutes for them, for what is essentially our landline, which they use a lot. I'm hoping to find a free incoming # (like Callcentric's free DID number with NY area codes), and somehow have all the google voice/landline calls forwarded to the free #. Is this possible? Recommended? Not recommended?