News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Another "what to do about gv xmpp shutdown" thread...

Started by paladyr, April 17, 2014, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paladyr

So I basically am looking for someone to tell me what to do.  I love having all my calls go through gv, and I use Anveo's E911 at the moment.  If I sign up with an ITSP and get a new number, then forward calls from gv, does that create some sort of delay when speaking?  Like is the voice traffic going from caller -> gv -> itsp instead of caller -> itsp for the entire conversation, or is it just the initial ringing that is delayed?

DennyNC

I share this concern. I have used GV in the past to forward calls to a cell phone and there is a delay (to the point of being unusable.) I'm hoping forwarding to a VOIP number is better.

gderf

I forward my GV number to a Callcentric DID. I haven't noticed any audio problems or excessive lag.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

paladyr

Yea from what I'm reading the only delay is in the initial time to ring the destination phone.  That's not a big deal to me.

The phone power unlimited plan is enticing.  It looks like callcentric is expensive.  .02/minute or 7/month for 500 minutes?

DennyNC

Quote from: gderf on April 17, 2014, 08:48:05 AM
I forward my GV number to a Callcentric DID. I haven't noticed any audio problems or excessive lag.
Thanks for that info!

I see some are choosing CallCentric for inbound and Circlenet for outbound. Is trying to see the benefit of that vs. just using CallCentric for both. (Outbound rates I'm guessing?)

aopisa

Quote from: 7Priest7 on April 17, 2014, 09:53:21 AM
Quote from: paladyr on April 17, 2014, 08:27:24 AM
So I basically am looking for someone to tell me what to do.

Get a Callcentric free NY DID, fill out information that is outside the U.S. to avoid 911 tax, unless you really want 911 service.
Get a localphone account, add some money on your localphone account.
Setup the free NY DID and LocalPhone accounts(on may 15th.)
When setting up LocalPhone click the default for outbound calling box.
Setup Google Voice to forward to Free NY DID .

Enjoy free inbound calling and half a penny per minute outgoing.
If you insist on having 911 keep a junk/old cell phone lieing around for that.
A cell phone is far more reliable in a emergency, SIP has three ways it could be down, power, ISP, and SIP Server.

A cell phone does not provide e911 service. It will not give emergency services your exact physical location. If you cannot speak or if the person calling 911 does not know your address it could have serious consequences. It is true that in the case of a power or internet outage your e911 voip service will not be available. It is not an exact replacement for a hardwired POTS line, but it is a step better than calling 911 from a cell phone under most conditions.

I signed up for Vestalink. Still on the fence about the service. I have the land line phone in order to have true e911. I did find that forwarding my GV number caused delays or some calls to go directly to voice mail. I had to port to remedy that issue.

paladyr

Get a Callcentric free NY DID, fill out information that is outside the U.S. to avoid 911 tax, unless you really want 911 service.

A cell phone is far more reliable in a emergency, SIP has three ways it could be down, power, ISP, and SIP Server.

Thanks for the details!  That's a good point about 911 reliability, I'd feel better though having all options available for 911 :-/.  I can still get 911 service this way right?

aopisa

Quote from: paladyr on April 17, 2014, 11:55:40 AM

Thanks for the details!  That's a good point about 911 reliability, I'd feel better though having all options available for 911 :-/.  I can still get 911 service this way right?

See above.

CLTGreg

Cell phone is good but is Anveo's E911 bad at .80/month? I'm paying them twice which isn't good. I could really use that $9.

pas777

Quote from: DennyNC on April 17, 2014, 10:46:18 AM
Quote from: gderf on April 17, 2014, 08:48:05 AM
Thanks for that info!

I see some are choosing CallCentric for inbound and Circlenet for outbound. Is trying to see the benefit of that vs. just using CallCentric for both. (Outbound rates I'm guessing?)

I Circlenet reliable??

SteveInWA

Why do we need another "what do do..." thread at all?  This has already been answered over and over.

Really, the problem is, some users want somebody to just give them one answer, and so here you go... as has been explained, repeatedly:

• Pick a SIP VoIP service provider. Don't get wrapped around the axle debating which one is better or cheaper; just pick one.  A lot of us use Callcentric, because they are in the sweet spot of reliability, great customer support, and fair prices (not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for).  If you want to pay less, use Callcentric just for its free NY DID (inbound number) and also use Localphone for outbound calling.
  • Log onto your GV account, here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones
  • Add and verify your new SIP number, and remove the check mark next to your Google Chat forwarding destination.
  • Replace your existing GV SP configuration on your OBi with your SIP provider(s)
  • There are other details, depending on your SIP provider, but that's essentially all there is to it.

I'm going to avoid the E911 debate, since it gets strangely opinionated.

Durbhasa

SteveInWA:

Is there a thread which provides details on the Callcentric+Localphone setup?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Durbhasa on April 21, 2014, 01:35:15 PM
SteveInWA:

Is there a thread which provides details on the Callcentric+Localphone setup?
Durbhasa:

Like many other "how do I configure my OBi to do this or that?" questions, there are unfortunately several different answers, depending on various people's clever ideas and different opinions.  It also depends on which model OBi you have (how many SPx settings it has, two or four, and if you are using other service providers, too).

I've seen some discussions that answer your question spread around the forum, but it's hard to just find one good answer for you.

If you have a two-SP OBi (models 100 or 110), or you only care about two SPs, then you can simply sign up for service with Callcentric (get a free NY DID from them), and sign up for "Internet phone" outbound calling with Localphone.  Then, configure SP1 for Localphone,  and put a check the box to make it the "primary line for outgoing calls".  Then, configure SP2 for Callcentric.

You'll also want to set up Localphone to "spoof", or use your Callcentric number's caller ID for outbound calls.

I'm sure others will chime in with details I chose to leave out, or other suggestions, but that's it in simple terms.

N7AS

Just to add a comment using Callcentric Free NY DID, You can forward the CC DID to Localphone via SIP URI so you don't have to setup Callcentric on a SPx on the Obi.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Durbhasa

Thanks, SteveInWA. I tried searching the forum for Callcentric and Localphone, but was having trouble finding something which clearly looked like setup instructions.

I indeed have a 110 OBi. Thanks for the pointers on the Callcentric+Localphone setup. My general plan was to have my current GV number forward to the Callcentric number (so I can keep my GV voicemail); Localphone looks good simply because we don't do much outbound (US domestic) calling, and I'm really looking for the cheapest possible setup.

Cheers again.

SteveInWA

Quote from: N7AS on April 21, 2014, 08:10:32 PM
Just to add a comment using Callcentric Free NY DID, You can forward the CC DID to Localphone via SIP URI so you don't have to setup Callcentric on a SPx on the Obi.

I don't see a real-world benefit to this at all.  It is easy to set up the Callcentric DID as a SP.  Why re-route Callcentric inbound traffic through the world-hopping extra point-of-failure route of Localphone.  It doesn't save any money, either, since the Callcentric free NY DID is...wait for it...Free.  If a SP port is available, that's just nuts.  

SteveInWA

Quote from: Durbhasa on April 21, 2014, 09:03:53 PM
Thanks, SteveInWA. I tried searching the forum for Callcentric and Localphone, but was having trouble finding something which clearly looked like setup instructions.

I indeed have a 110 OBi. Thanks for the pointers on the Callcentric+Localphone setup. My general plan was to have my current GV number forward to the Callcentric number (so I can keep my GV voicemail); Localphone looks good simply because we don't do much outbound (US domestic) calling, and I'm really looking for the cheapest possible setup.

Cheers again.

You hit the nail on the head.  That is exactly the combination that quite a few folks are migrating to now.  Good luck.

steelmans1980

All suggestions tend to combine callcentric with localphone, then forward GV number to one of them. While this might work, why not consider a provider which gives you all these features? You can also port your GV number to the provider, using Local Number Portability, which is available for any US number, as mandated by FCC regulations.
For that reason, I would vote for http://www.freelycall.com/. you get to set up your own caller ID, port in your number for 15USD, or purchase a number for 5USD then pay 1USD/month, or even get a free Washington DID (206, 256, 425 area codes), as for outbound, you can do cheap calls between 0.003 and 0.007 to US/Canada, in addition to international rates very competitive (0.009 USD/min to India for instance).
For redundancy, since you have 2 SIP accounts available on your Obihai, just put another provider as backup.

Obihai standard SIP settings here: http://www.freelycall.com/devices/obihai-obi100/

nitzan

Quote from: steelmans1980 on April 22, 2014, 01:57:16 AMFor that reason, I would vote for http://www.freelycall.com/.
Yes, of course you would "vote for them" - considering you ARE freelycall, lol! I've never heard of "freelycall" until now, but looking for reviews the only review I could find was written by a company employee. Then there is "steelmans1980" spamming them in various forums. Just google steelmans1980 freelycall or even just steelmans1980 and you'll find tons of posts spamming his service. Buyer beware.

There are plenty of honest providers out there - read reviews first. A good place to start would be: http://www.dslreports.com/gbu/
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation
http://www.future-nine.com/

SteveInWA

Quote from: nitzan on April 22, 2014, 02:39:26 AM
Quote from: steelmans1980 on April 22, 2014, 01:57:16 AMFor that reason, I would vote for http://www.freelycall.com/.
Yes, of course you would "vote for them" - considering you ARE freelycall, lol! I've never heard of "freelycall" until now, but looking for reviews the only review I could find was written by a company employee. Then there is "steelmans1980" spamming them in various forums. Just google steelmans1980 freelycall or even just steelmans1980 and you'll find tons of posts spamming his service. Buyer beware.

There are plenty of honest providers out there - read reviews first. A good place to start would be: http://www.dslreports.com/gbu/
And, of course, you've also been repeatedly engaging in self-promotion yourself, first on DSLreports, and now, here.  Glass houses, you know.