News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Explain like I'm 5, please: How to set up Phone Power

Started by jerryinforum, May 02, 2014, 12:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryinforum

I currently have GOOGLE Voice forwarded to my Ting (Sprint) mobile phone and Google Chat.  It rings into my Obi.  (I forget how that happens--I set it all up a couple years ago. Remember: I'm 5 years old!)

I want to sign up with Phone Power.  What is the URL to do this to get the OBi Lite $34.99/year package?  I am looking at https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/services/itsp?i=phonepower&d=461708&sp=1 but I cannot select a Device or Service Provider Slot to be able to click the button at bottom right that says "Sign up at PhonePower.com!"

Seriously: I cannot get to Step 1.  When I went to Phone Power and chatted, they said I have to do this through "OBI Portal"?  Where is that? 

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Quote from: jerryinforum on May 02, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
I currently have GOOGLE Voice forwarded to my Ting (Sprint) mobile phone and Google Chat.  It rings into my Obi.  (I forget how that happens--I set it all up a couple years ago. Remember: I'm 5 years old!)

I want to sign up with Phone Power.  What is the URL to do this to get the OBi Lite $34.99/year package?  I am looking at https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/services/itsp?i=phonepower&d=461708&sp=1 but I cannot select a Device or Service Provider Slot to be able to click the button at bottom right that says "Sign up at PhonePower.com!"

Seriously: I cannot get to Step 1.  When I went to Phone Power and chatted, they said I have to do this through "OBI Portal"?  Where is that?  

Thanks in advance.

The link you gave us is the place on the Obi Portal that you need.

On my screen there are little pull-down menus for the "device" and "slot". If, when you try to pull down the "device" menu, nothing happens, you aren't logged in to Obitalk with an account linked to your device. (The Obi dashboard should show the device too, under "My Obi Devices".)

Or maybe there is something odd with your browser compatibility, like a setting for cookies or javascript. Try using a different browser or even a different computer, to see if that makes any difference.

Until you get the Device selected, the "Slot" menu won't work (since it won't know which of possibly many devices you are choosing a slot on). You probably have to select a device even if you only have the one... That's pretty silly, even for a five-year-old.

If you try to pull down the menu for "slot" but it is empty, it might be that all (both?) of your slots currently have something in them. (A "slot" corresponds to the SP1 or SP2 or ... in the Obi Dashboard.) In order to have an account set up, you will need an empty SPn slot for it to be set up on. Hint: Google Voice will stop working directly with your Obi in a few days, so you might as well bite the bullet and delete it from its slot. Make sure it is ringing your cellphone (for example) so you can still get calls while you are setting things up, which might take a few hours, or even days if you run into trouble.

If your Obi Dashboard shows empty slots (that is, SP1 or SP2 or ... doesn't have anything in it), but the pulldown menu on that signup page doesn't let you choose one, it is a problem with their web page that only Obi Support can resolve, ultimately.

The process is dead simple when you can use the drop-down lists to pick a device and slot. I'd recommend to Obi that they set up a fallback option on that page so the pulldown lists don't show just "empty", but offer helpful information like "go free up a slot" or "something's wrong, please contact support". They might also want to include something that indicates a "slot" corresponds to SP1 or SP2 or whatever on the device.

jerryinforum

OK, thanks.  I'll try and figure out what the problem is with not being able to select anything in those boxes.

jerryinforum

My problem was that the 9 digit number in Dashboard was different than the one on the bottom of my OBI 100.  I "Added a New Device" and then I was able to make selections on the page to get signed up for Phone Power.  All done!

Thanks.

zorlac

Quote from: jerryinforum on May 02, 2014, 01:08:20 PM
Great blog article on the process by the way:  http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobilewireless/23823/obi-google
That is a great synopsis, thanks!
I was leaning towards PP for my parents and that seems to have sealed the deal.  ;)