News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring Google Voice to ring directly to OBI 110, not forward calls.

Started by JustinH, April 28, 2011, 04:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinH

I thought this would be pretty easy to setup, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I use google voice as an extra line to avoid using minutes on my cell phone.  I configured the OBi 110 device to make calls using a cordless phone and google voice.  It works great.

I want people to be able to call my google voice number, and it will ring the cordless phone hooked to the obi device.  It is currently forwarding to my cell phone number and eating up minutes.

I tried to remove the call forwarding in google voice but it says that there must be at least one phone setup to forward google voice calls to.

Is what I'm trying to do possible with google voice, or do i need a new provider?

thanks,
Justin

RonR

It sounds like you haven't made at least one call from your Gmail account yet.  Adter doing so, you will have a Google Chat phone listed in Google Voice that can be selected.  It's this entry that will ring your OBi.  At that point, you can uncheck your cell phone in Google Voice and only your OBi will ring.

jimates

As RonR stated you will have another forwarding option in your google voice after you place a call from your gmail.
See page 6 of the guide
http://www.obihai.com/docs/GoogleVoiceOBiTALK.pdf

After you check the google chat for forwarding you can just uncheck your cell phone and calls will not be forwarded to it. You can't remove your cell phone completely because you must have one physical phone in the account.

JustinH

Thanks so much.  The problem was that I didn't have the google voice chat checked in the forwarding section.  I checked that box, now it is working properly.