News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please, in the simplest possible terms, explain what this means ??

Started by vtsnaab, April 17, 2014, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 02, 2014, 11:23:30 AM

As of now my thoughts are to go with some cheap and/or free services, get a new incoming number and leave the GV stuff sort of off to one side (just as it is) to receive SMSs & VMs at the very least, and if I am able to make it work on an Android phone as well (via Wifi) I will do that.

I wish GV's SMS was a bit more reliable and/or universally available. And I really wonder about their philosophy that their GV/Hangout/Messaging apps on smartphones use the phone company's SMS, which is excessively expensive most of the time, rather than the free internet SMS we can do from our desktop GV.

Ever since I learned about the GrandCentral/GoogleVoice options, I've been trying to make that the primary number I give out. I tend to agree that it might be too much to hope that all those features will continue to be available (that is, that they will continue to contribute to Google's profitability), but I have only found a subset of the features I'd like to have on the VOIP/SIP providers.

I suppose I should keep repeating the mantra to myself: "If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product." That would suggest that all of us who don't consider ourselves "product" get a contract with a reputable company and pay the going rate. Of course, even the most reputable VOIP providers might discover that their business with us isn't profitable. (See also: Sipgate)

It also appears that Google's vision of the future is that people will be switching over their calls to Internet calling (frequently including video) via browsers, and away from separate single-purpose phone instruments closely controlled by various governments. If they are right, and it does seem plausible, we're only trying to keep a legacy communication system going until that new and glorious future arrives. There's still some life left in the old phone, and there are issues still to be resolved (e.g. 911 calls from one's browser? Accessibility?) for the new one, and some interesting overlap to play with, but still, it might be good to keep our eyes on the horizon...

vtsnaab

Hi Terry.
The whole 'total convergence' thing is really not for this old guy - yes I have PCs, and yes I use phones - but I am really not into the whole phone-as-a-PC idea.

Tiny screens are not enticing to me, and those who watch videos on them are just...baffling to me.

So desktop PC it is for me - with a HUGE monitor so me old eyes can read it well enough - and I'll tolerate having an eeny-teeny-weeny screen on ONE phone, of necessity...for a while...maybe.

Best of all I prefer my ordinary cordless handsets and those are what I've used with GV - and what I'll continue to use most for voice calls.

As for SMS - there's really only a couple of folks I do that with and we may have to adjust that a bit.

All things considered, your point is very well made (thank you !!) still - though I am grateful for the services that GV has provided - I'd ALWAYS rather be the client than the product.