News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Admin, please=> Day-to-day use...of this Forum ?!?

Started by vtsnaab, April 18, 2014, 08:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

Since there is no 100% general area here, I am posting this under this heading in hopes someone will help me, please.

I have email notifications turned on for some topics - but none are reaching me.

I tried to locate which email address this forum is using, just in case it is an old, defunct one - but I cannot find any such thing in the profile area.

How does one check and/or change which email this forum uses for them, please ???

Thanks.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: vtsnaab on April 18, 2014, 08:59:30 AM
I have email notifications turned on for some topics - but none are reaching me.
Yes, email notifications are not working for me either.

Perhaps you could change the title of your subject to mention forum notifications in the hope that one of the forum administrators sees this.

WI_John

I started using the forum earlier this week and the notifications don't work for me either.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: WI_John on April 18, 2014, 09:58:11 AM
I started using the forum earlier this week and the notifications don't work for me either.
They worked at one point. Last few months (from memory), they have not.

SteveInWA

Yeah, this is annoying.  Mine stopped sending notifications too.  I tried entering a different email address to see if it was going to spam, or if the setting just needed to be re-written, but it's dead.

Is this working for anyone at all?

vtsnaab

Since no admins or mods have shown any interest in this matter, it looks as if the only options now are to constantly check the 'Show new replies to your posts' and/or 'Show unread posts since last visit' links.

I would imagine that forcing folks to spend time here may be a goal in letting the emails stay dead - but I would imagine it is also taxing in terms of resources as well...?

Back to my OP - this query still stands:
How does one check and/or change which email this forum uses for them, please ??

Thanks.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: vtsnaab on April 19, 2014, 10:24:05 AM
Back to my OP - this query still stands:
How does one check and/or change which email this forum uses for them, please ??

Thanks.
Could be wrong, but I believe it uses your obitalk.com email. You can check that in your profile.

vtsnaab

I thought I checked everything - I'll have another look though...
Thanks Corporate_gadfly !!

AlanB

I'm no longer getting e-mail notifications either.  They were working.

I'm sure this is not the cause, but notice that this forum is powered by SMF 1.1.11.  Well, version 2.0.7 is the latest, although the SMF website says that 1.1.19 is still considered a current stable version.

I guess the admins have taken a "if it's not broke why upgrade" approach as well as "if it's broke, why care" approach.

SteveInWA

Quote from: AlanB on April 19, 2014, 03:59:51 PM
I'm no longer getting e-mail notifications either.  They were working.

I'm sure this is not the cause, but notice that this forum is powered by SMF 1.1.11.  Well, version 2.0.7 is the latest, although the SMF website says that 1.1.19 is still considered a current stable version.

I guess the admins have taken a "if it's not broke why upgrade" approach as well as "if it's broke, why care" approach.

+1

Or, more likely, as is the case with many businesses (sometimes wisely), "If it doesn't contribute to our revenue or gross profit margin, then don't spend any time on it."

carl

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 19, 2014, 06:25:24 PM

Or, more likely, as is the case with many businesses (sometimes wisely), "If it doesn't contribute to our revenue or gross profit margin, then don't spend any time on it."
It's highly unwise in this case because this forum ( and the VoIP tech chat on DSL forum) are a replacement for customer service . Especially now, with the approaching end of third party use of GV on which Obihai largely depended, it will be crucial for Obi to keep/attract SIP customers.

SteveInWA

Quote from: carl on April 19, 2014, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on April 19, 2014, 06:25:24 PM

It's highly unwise in this case because this forum ( and the VoIP tech chat on DSL forum) are a replacement for customer service . Especially now, with the approaching end of third party use of GV on which Obihai largely depended, it will be crucial for Obi to keep/attract SIP customers.
I didn't say it was wise, but that it was likely.  Consider a company that is faced with a declining revenue stream already, and likely a faster rate of decline to come.  That leads to belt-tightening, layoffs, and fewer resources to do the day-to-day work.  I do agree that they'll need to try harder to support their customers, though.  I just don't think the forum will be the primary support vehicle; it hasn't been so for years. 
I recently dealt with "Brand G" customer support.  I posted a question over on their forum.  A rep answered me very promptly, but simply told me to open a support ticket, which I did.  That ticket was promptly handled.  If some Obihai employee was at least scanning the forum and doing the same, it would be better than nothing.

carl

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 20, 2014, 09:31:09 PM
  I do agree that they'll need to try harder to support their customers, though.  I just don't think the forum will be the primary support vehicle; it hasn't been so for years. 
I recently dealt with "Brand G" customer support.  I posted a question over on their forum.  A rep answered me very promptly, but simply told me to open a support ticket, which I did.  That ticket was promptly handled.  If some Obihai employee was at least scanning the forum and doing the same, it would be better than nothing.

Wonder whether your question about "brand G" was strictly hardware related or had anything to do with set up/ programming/daily use of the product. For me , " Brand Y " would be probably the replacement for the case Obihai falters, although I would hate to go through the expenses of replacing the  the phone system .
Over the years many of us could not understand why Obi bets everything on GV and why they neglect the SIP customers. The manual is a horror, pre configured dial plans in the portal of questionable value, difficult for non expert to tweak it. And they actually chased out from the forum the only guy who was capable enough and spent enough time to function as a sort of replacement for tech support. Now the sledge hammer is coming down. ::)

vtsnaab

Geez.
I posted asking about the broken/inoperative email notifications here.

Seems obvious the admins/mods here are either absent or disinclined to address this query.

That being said, perhaps I should just hit the 'lock' button and be done with it rather than watching it wander so far afield ?!?

ebow

I could post some offensive words and see if any admins / moderators bother investigating. Then again, I like being able to post here, so maybe I won't.  ;D

giqcass

I noticed this function was not working also.  I think it would be in ObiHais interest to fix it.  I think we save them a lot of money with free support 24/7 support.

It seems as though moderators only respond in the forums when
1)there is a wide spread issue that affects service.
2)a spam post is reported they delete it.
3)There is a new product.
4)When there is a firmware update they quietly update that thread.

That isn't the way it always was.  There are enough product experts here that the community is mostly self supporting now. I think the only way to get an answer to this problem would be to open a support ticket.
Long live our new ObiLords!

vtsnaab

(Shhh...don't say it above a whisper...but it appears that notifications may have just worked for a few minutes here...!!)

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 14, 2014, 07:02:51 PM
(Shhh...don't say it above a whisper...but it appears that notifications may have just worked for a few minutes here...!!)
About time!!