News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower Slow Call Setup

Started by PeteMoss, April 19, 2014, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteMoss

I recently replaced GV with Phonepower's $60 special and when I test it by calling my cell phone, it takes a full 12 seconds before courtesy ringback commences and then cell phone rings just after the second ringback which is unacceptable IMO. When I call the same cell phone using VOIPo (also on another OBI202), ringback starts in just ~2 seconds and cell phone also rings after 2nd ringback which is acceptable IMO. I live about 25 miles east of STL and VOIPo's server is in Dallas while Phonepower's is in LA. Still I find the PP call setup period really bad. Comments/advice?  ???

Taoman

Quote from: PeteMoss on April 19, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
ringback starts in just ~2 seconds and cell phone also rings after 2nd ringback which is acceptable IMO.

Something isn't right. What you described (~2 seconds) is what I experience with my PhonePower line.

Have you tried resetting your ATA to factory defaults and reconfiguring it for PP?

MikePA

OP: From recent personal experience, power cycle your Internet modem/router, then your OBI box (order important) before going to the trouble of restoring the OBI to factory defaults.

PeteMoss

I  tried the router then 202 power cycles but there was not change. Regarding resetting the ATA to factory, I hate going to that extreme. The OBI setup wizard is how I changed from GV to PP under preferred providers. One thing I have noticed is the VOIPo 202 is F/W build 4269 while the PP 202 is on build 4041. I cannot update the F/W on either 202 using ***6 or the OBITALK Dashboard yellow triangle. ***6 says software update not available on both 202s and nothing happens after clicking triangles/OK on the Dashboard. Something is not right. I suppose I could do an update manually that was recommended by someone on another forum but I'm not sure build 4330 would solve anything. UPDATE: Build 4330 did not solve anything.

Taoman

What happens when you dial a number but end it with "#" before sending the call? Is it still the long call setup?

PeteMoss

That corrects the problem but I am not VOIP savvy enuff to fool with the DigitMap.

Taoman

Quote from: PeteMoss on April 20, 2014, 02:29:13 PM
That corrects the problem but I am not VOIP savvy enuff to fool with the DigitMap.

I guess I'm confused then. If you realize the problem lies with your DigitMap why are you blaming PhonePower? It has nothing to do with PhonePower. If you had the same DigitMap for VOIPo you would experience the same 10 second delay. Or perhaps I am misinterpreting your quote below?

Quote from: PeteMoss on April 19, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
Still I find the PP call setup period really bad.

PeteMoss

I merely used the the setup process that is available upon logging into ones OBIHAI account and recommended by OBIHAI to replace GV. The setup process is something that was determined by Phonepower in collaboration with OBIHAI. I might add that I used the OBIHAI/VOIPo setup process too (NOT a GV replacement) and have had no problems with that for over a year. The dialing plans come from the respective ITSP(s) and I am not real familiar with the syntax and rules to troubleshoot what I consider a defective a dialing plan.  I also note that a poster to this thread did not have the same problem but I do not know if he used the new OBI/PP setup process. Perhaps I can find something on the PP site. Sometimes one can actually get help in a forum though.

UPDATE: The PP site does not list any OBIHAI devices in their BYOD section so I am out of luck. Can someone who processes PP calls OK cut and paste their dialing plan?

Taoman

Quote from: PeteMoss on April 20, 2014, 03:36:41 PM
UPDATE: The PP site does not list any OBIHAI devices in their BYOD section so I am out of luck. Can someone who processes PP calls OK cut and paste their dialing plan?

I also used the Obi/PP setup wizard and have not experienced any problem. Here is the dialing plan that was put in place by the PP setup wizard:
(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1YYY>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

FWIW, I would recommend ending every dialing sequence with "#" every time you make a phone call.

If you want a simple DigitMap (not mine) that should work with PhonePower and decrease call setup time you can try this one:

([2-9]11S0|<1YYY>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

You would replace "YYY" with your local area code for 7-digit dialing.

Or you can use the first one which is pretty much the default Obi dialing plan. Either one should work. Gotta run....

PeteMoss

I am using the simple one and it works fine so far. I will try yours if it develops issues. THANKS! And BTW, this is the dialing plan that I got with the PP/OBI prefigured provisioining:
(**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*53xxxx|*6[27]xx.|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

No wonder call setup took so long. The ATA had to do a lot of reading!!   ;) ;D

azrobert

Dial plans are not specific for any one provider, unless the provider has an unusual requirement.
If your Phone Port Primary Line is SP1, then the SP1 DigitMap is the parm that needs to be examined for problems. It is found at Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General.
This is the default SP1 DigitMap for a OBi110:  
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

The rules are separated by a vertical bar which is an "OR"  operator.
This is how the OBi determines how long to wait before routing the call out SP1.

If the dialed number exactly matches a rule and it can't match any other rule, it is routed immediately.
If a dialed number exactly matches a rule, but can also exactly match another rule there is a 2 second pause.
If a dialed number exactly matches a rule and/or can match another rule that is open ended there is a 10 second pause.

This is how and why to tune a DigitMap.
Rule (Mipd) is used to match an IP address and should be removed for most People.
Rule [^*#]@@. is used to match a URI and should be removed for most People.

Rule xx. is used to match one or more Digits. This is the rule causing the problems and should be removed. When 18005551212 is dialed it exactly matches rule "1xxxxxxxxxx", but also matches rule "xx.".  Since rule "xx." is open ended (it will match any number of digits dialed) the OBi will wait 10 seconds (the OBi doesn't know if you are going to dial additional digits) before routing the dialed number. With "xx." removed 18005551212 cannot match any other rule and will be immediately routed without any delay.

"011xx." is open ended, but won't affect domestic calls. It will cause a 10 second delay on international calls. Overriding the 10 second timer is the easiest way to fix it. Using "011xx.S3" will pause for 3 seconds before routing the call. IMO there is a better way to handle international calls, but I will leave it for another post.

Here is my recommended DigitMap for most people:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.S3|<1aaa>xxxxxxx)
aaa is you local area code for 7 digit dialing.

When you dial 5551212 it exactly matches rule "<1aaa>xxxxxxx" and potentially will match "<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx", so the OBi waits 2 seconds before routing the call.

Edit:
If you remove 10 digit dialing rule "<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx", 5551212 cannot match any other rule and will be immediately routed without any delay.

PeteMoss

Thanks for the info and brief primer on the syntax. I used the short calling plan provided by Taoman but ran into trouble when trying to access voicemail *21.  (it immediately went to a fast busy). I then tried Taoman's other dial plan that apparently was also a preconfigured PP plan and it has worked fine so far: (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)  I note that the |xx.| rule is also in this dial plan. If I remove the |xx.| rule, will I still be able to dial  Korea 01182-then 11 additional numbers? I also note that the DP I initially used (another PP preconfigured one) has the |xx.| rule in it twice (??).

OK disregard comment about Korea. I see that |011xx.| will allow international calling. I'll also add the S3 to greatly reduce processing time. Thanks!!

azrobert

For the Primary route this should allow you to dial "*21".
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.S3|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|*21)

This is how to eliminate any pause dialing international calls without using # at the end of the number.
If you are calling 3 country codes (82, 83 and 84) 82 and 83 are 11 digits numbers and 83 are 10.

You can do this:
(01182xxxxxxxxxxx|01183xxxxxxxxxxx|01184xxxxxxxxxx|...other rules...)

After dialing the last digit the call will be routed without delay.

You can reduce the size of the DigitMap like this:  
(011(82|83)xxxxxxxxxxx|01184xxxxxxxxxx|...other rules...)

You can eliminate dialing the 011 prefix:
(<011>(82|83)xxxxxxxxxxx|<011>84xxxxxxxxxx|...other rules...)

If country 84 has a city with only 9 digit numbers, just include the city code:
(011(82|83)xxxxxxxxxxx|01184100xxxxxx|01184xxxxxxxxxx|...other rules...)

If you call several countries the DigitMap can get very large, so this might not be practical for everyone.

Edit:
Remove "011xx.S3" from the DigitMap for the above example.

Edit 2:
Eliminating dialing 011 prefix will cause a 2 second delay dialing 10 digit domestic numbers if the 1st 2 digits match a country code.

xincedar

I just switched to obi/PP from obi/GV this morning. My obi device is obi110. I did obi/GV setup by myself (not through OBIHAI web) a couple years. To switch to obi/PP, OBIHAI web did setup for me. The obi/PP seems working fine when I tried a few calls. But OBIHAI changed digitMap for me, now I have to dial the area code to call the local number. I tried to change the digitMap in Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General, after I changed it and hit "submit". It looked fine, but after rebooting OBI110, the digitMap recovered the original value - (**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*53xxxx|*6[27]xx.|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.).
Even I tried to change the speed dials (it is gone, by OBIHAI did setup for PP) and submit the changes, after rebooting, nothing was saved.

It seems I can't change OBI110 setting with obi/PP. I can do it when I was obi/GV. Any ideas?

BTW, I did that by login to OBI110 (192.168.1.xxx), I couldn't find the way to update the digitMap from OBIHAI web or PhonePower web.

lowatts

Quote from: xincedar on April 29, 2014, 11:15:02 AM
BTW, I did that by login to OBI110 (192.168.1.xxx), I couldn't find the way to update the digitMap from OBIHAI web or PhonePower web.
I don't know if it's true but someone posted that you have to make these changes on the OBi web site for them to stick.  Log into your Obitalk account, go into your device's setup, and look for Expert Settings.

xincedar

I login to obitalk account and goto obi expert configuration menu. In the menu there are 3 buttoms
Enter OBi Expert

Reset OBi Expert Config

Revert to OBiTALK

I clicked "Enter OBi Expert", the digitalMap is:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|'*0'|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.) that is different from the obi110 device - (**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*53xxxx|*6[27]xx.|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.|1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|'*0'|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.). Need help.

igal

This worked for me:
From obitalk.com set it to:

(**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1YYY>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*53xxxx|*6[27]xx.|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Where YYY is area code if you wish to use 7 digits dialing.

lowatts

I just found something interesting while testing my phone this morning, trying to reduce the call setup time.  It is taking about 8 seconds after outbound dial tones before I hear a the ring tones start on my PhonePower line to my cell phone, whereas it was much less on my GV line.  But then I noticed even though on the GV line the ring tones started sooner, the phone at the other end, in this case my cell phone used for testing the calls, didn't start ringing until after a few seconds delay, so that in reality it is taking about the same amount of time to make a connection whether using PP or GV.  The PP just seemed to take longer because it did not play any ring tones until the phone at the other end started ringing.

xincedar

Hi igal,

I went to obitalk.com and clicked "Enter OBi Expert" buttom, but I was not allowed to change the digitalMap value. How did you do it?

Thanks

igal

@xincedar uncheck the two checkboxes defaulting the settings.

PP is pretty smart seems. If you've got a number that doesn't match the digimap, your obi will have PP do the math. E.g. - 611 is configured by the digimap here. Call will be routed very fast by obi. Try 511 which is not, obi will mumble and pass the baton to PP. That's why I think it takes more for some number formats in obi+PP scenario.