News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi PhonePower problems

Started by voip_newbie, April 19, 2014, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voip_newbie

I have been using Google voice with my Obi 100 for quite a while. Never had any problems.

About a month ago I added Phonepower on SP2. It did not work out of the box, and has been troublesome ever since. Initially I had trouble getting it registered. It kept showing "Not registered". So, I deleted it and went through the process of adding it back (resync). This seemed to work (but only temporarily). About every week or two I have to go through this same process. Only now, even though the service shows as registered, when I go to make a call, I get the error "No configured service". Deleting SP2 and registering the device again with phonepower resolves the issue, but only temporarily.

Suggestions?

wendaddy

I have the same problem. I started the service with phonepower on 4/16. When I use the obitalk phone, a man will  say, "no service configured error. Please go online obitalk." I can resolve the issue if I uncheck "Primary Line for Outgoing Calls" for phonepower, submit, then recheck it, submit. This problem happens everyday randomly, at least once a day.

I believe it is a problem with phonepower, because I had never had this problem with google voice. I have contacted phonepower, but they have no solution.

Taoman

If this happens every day it may be worth it for you to download the softphone from PhonePower for your computer and keep it going all day (if feasible for you). When your Obi loses its connection see if the softphone still works for you or not. If it does, my guess would be the problem isn't with PhonePower.

In any case, my suggestion would be to reset your Obi to factory defaults, delete your Obi from the Obitalk web portal and then add it back in again Then start the configuration process again. Use the Voice Service Provider Set-up and go thru the PhonePower setup.  All you should need to do is enter your SIP credentials.

almax00

Quote from: voip_newbie on April 19, 2014, 12:28:53 PM
I have been using Google voice with my Obi 100 for quite a while. Never had any problems.

About a month ago I added Phonepower on SP2. It did not work out of the box, and has been troublesome ever since. Initially I had trouble getting it registered. It kept showing "Not registered". So, I deleted it and went through the process of adding it back (resync). This seemed to work (but only temporarily). About every week or two I have to go through this same process. Only now, even though the service shows as registered, when I go to make a call, I get the error "No configured service". Deleting SP2 and registering the device again with phonepower resolves the issue, but only temporarily.

Suggestions?

i had this problem after porting my GV number to PP. there is a process to re-sync your obi that doesn't involve deleting and re-entering everything. PP has an on-line chat/help available. get on that and they can walk you through the process.

if i recall correctly this was the process:
go to the Obitalk page and click "approved service providers".
then click the PhonePower button in the middle of the page (not the one that says "learn more").
scroll down a little, select your device and service provider slot from the drop down boxes, then select
"to restore an existing phone power account click here". then go to your obi dashboard and click SP1 to make sure the appropriate boxes are checked.

this worked for me. YMMV

good luck
alank

voip_newbie

Quotego to the Obitalk page and click "approved service providers".
then click the PhonePower button in the middle of the page (not the one that says "learn more").
scroll down a little, select your device and service provider slot from the drop down boxes, then select
"to restore an existing phone power account click here". then go to your obi dashboard and click SP1 to make sure the appropriate boxes are checked.

Yes, this is the process I follow each time, but the issue keeps resurfacing. Oddly it only seems to affect outbound calling. I can still receive inbound calls (and the callers are using my new PhonePower number).

Perhaps I just have to do the factory reset. Or maybe I need to set PhonePower to be SP1 instead of SP2, and just use Google voice as a fail-over in case PhonePower incoming calls also begin to fail. It least that way it might capture the calls as a voice message and email it to me (very nice Google voice feature).

dr2011

I have Phone power as SP1 and still get the configured error message from time to time.  I normally unplug the power and plug it back.  I am still not sure why this is happening.

MikePA

Quote from: dr2011 on April 25, 2014, 02:43:15 PM
I found this post.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7778.0

This fix' didn't work for me.

SP1 Anveo reports as Registered and works fine.

SP2 PhonePower reports as Service Not Configured

Everything looks fine from the PP site

voip_newbie

Looking into this issue a bit deeper, I discovered SIP is know to be problematic when used on an private IP network behind a NAT enabled firewall. There are apparently various work arounds including the use of a SIP proxy,etc. Looking directly at the configuration of my obhi using the build in web server (as you would a router, printer, etc), it looks like the obhi is using a SIP proxy (hosted by phonepower).

Some folks suggest giving the obhi a static IP address on the private network and then using port forwarding for various port ranges, etc. I settled on simply giving the device a static IP, subnet mask, gateway, dns, etc. We'll see if that makes any difference.

Another suggestion I read about was to simply take the router out of the loop to help isolate whether the router itself is the issue. For what it's worth, I am running an Asus router loaded with DD-WRT.

Update (May 7th, 2014): - Since configuring my Obhi 100 to use a static private IP address (2-3 weeks ago), I have not experienced any further service disconnects.

Taoman

Quote from: voip_newbie on April 26, 2014, 02:44:41 PM
Another suggestion I read about was to simply take the router out of the loop to help isolate whether the router itself is the issue. For what it's worth, I am running an Asus router loaded with DD-WRT.

Or you can just put your Obi in your router's DMZ.

notconfident

I can't even get mine to work. I have configured PhonePower to SP2, and it will not connect. Have spent enough time on this tonight. Will have to try again tomorrow. The online tech support chat was not helpful. At least I got the GV working again. Not a happy camper. Has anyone used one of the other VOIPs and been happy? I may have to cancel and switch.

wendaddy

>Perhaps I just have to do the factory reset. Or maybe I need to set PhonePower to be SP1 instead of SP2,
I have tried both: factory reset and set PhonePower to be SP1. After switching for 3 to 4 days, the same problem happened. At this time of the error, obitalk.com configuration page shows everything is normal. SP1 is registered. PhonePower account looks correct. Softphone with PhonePower works still.

notconfident

After many hours working on this, I give up.  Just cancelled with Phone Power. The Ooma is looking pretty good right now.  :/

lowatts

Quote from: notconfident on April 29, 2014, 11:28:50 AM
After many hours working on this, I give up.  Just cancelled with Phone Power. The Ooma is looking pretty good right now.  :/
Sorry to hear that, I hope you find something that works for you.  Its seems no single provider works perfect for everyone.  So far I've tried Ooma with their Telo and PhonePower with the OBi 202, can't go into pros and cons of each for me now, it'll give me a headache.  But I will probably stay with the PhonePower Unlimited plan--started with the Lite plan but family already ran up over 120 minutes outbound in a week. Had minor reports of delays and quirks in the last couple of days but will see how it works out in the next week or two, at least the voicemail is working with PP now and can be accessed easily from the phone. Too bad google doesn't want to get into the VOIP business, it worked better than both of these LOL.

almax00

Quote from: voip_newbie on April 26, 2014, 02:44:41 PM
Looking into this issue a bit deeper, I discovered SIP is know to be problematic when used on an private IP network behind a NAT enabled firewall.

i had this problem. check your router for "SIP passthrough" or "SIP ALG" somewhere on a config page and change to DISABLE or OFF. they are there to HELP SIP negotiate NAT but usually don't help but hender.
i have an asus nt-66u and turning off SIP passthrough solved random "no service configured" messages.

good luck.

alank

voip_newbie

Quote from: almax00 on May 02, 2014, 02:01:39 AM
i had this problem. check your router for "SIP passthrough" or "SIP ALG" somewhere on a config page and change to DISABLE or OFF. they are there to HELP SIP negotiate NAT but usually don't help but hender.
i have an asus nt-66u and turning off SIP passthrough solved random "no service configured" messages.

good luck.

alank

Yes, I have read about that as well. My router is using custom firmware (DD-WRT), which does not have this option. Once setting my Obhi 100 to use a static IP about 3 weeks ago, I have not experienced any further disconnects. PhonePower has been working just fine.

wendaddy

Just posting an update for my issue. After working with 5 different PhonePower tech support for two weeks, they sent me to Obihai support. Stating my issue again, Obihai support did some magic: a remote firmware update. It is fixed. I did not need to change anything on my side. I guess I was wrong, the problem was not caused by PhonePower.

kikikikopa

I started with PP earlier this week and already logged about 4 hours total with tech support.  A lot of calls do not get through and PP identified it as being an OBI problem with the SIP handshake.  I don't really know much about that but I do know that PP will not work if ALL of my incoming calls can't get through.  What issues did the OBI firmware update solve?

Harvey

I had the problem but then PhonePower tech support used remote access to my computer (which I granted to them) to access my connected router.  The tech support guy disabled "SIP ALG" and the problem ended.