News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Google Voice for outgoing calls using OBI after May 15th

Started by askthiru, April 25, 2014, 09:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

askthiru

Hi,

I have a obi110 and have been using it with GV for the last 2 years.. It is my home number and i use it for incoming as well as outgoing to make international calls to india at 2c a minute..  I also use the same GV on my cell phone for texting...  After may 15th, I know we have a few choices..

1) Go to a voip provider like anveo, phonepower, vestalink and port your gv number to them.

2) use ooma and use google extensions and keep your gv number...

My dilemma is that since I'm using GV for international calls (both from home and my cell phone), I don't want to port out of it..  Is there anyway I can sign up with any of these voip providers and keep using GV for my making incoming and outgoing calls.. I don't mind paying 10$ a month for this but I'm not sure if I would be able to do this..I can  use call forward for incoming calls from GV, but I'm not sure how I can make outgoing calls to use my GV.. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance..

st167

I am no expert in all these but...
1. After May 15th, Obi device will not work with GV. Which means no incoming or outgoing calls using obi+GV. So no you can't use Obi to call international via GV.

2. Preferred is that you either port your GV# to CallCentric, Anveo, Vopi.ms, Future9, PhonePower etc. And use them to call USA/Canada. For international calls...Voip.ms, Callwithus, Future9, CC, etc all offer calls to India for about 2.5cents. You can use SP1 to configure to use VOIP provider that gives you best value for USA calls and then SP2 for calling India. I use CheapVoip to call international and have set them up on my Obi.

3. If you don't want to port your number then get a DID from any of the above mentioned VOIP provider and forward calls to that # from GV. But note that you will not be able to use GV for outbound. I had GV forwarding to my Anveo# but there were lot of problems. GV is not 100% reliable in call forwarding.

mo832

This is a case of the blind leading the blind.

With all due respect for trying to help, st167 is mistaken.

You can leave your existing GV setup as is. You can simply set up one or several accounts on your Obi with a phone provider, and use the DID they give you as a forwarding number from GV for incoming calls. For outgoing calls, you can have your new phone provider spoof your GV number for outgoing caller id, and now you have incoming and outgoing to your GV number. For international calls via GV, you can initiate the call from the GV website and have it ring your Obi phone and place the call, or call in to your GV number from an outside phone and press 2 to place a call.

You can keep your GV number and not port and still use your Obi and still text from your GV account.

askthiru

Quote from: mo832 on April 25, 2014, 02:16:27 PM

You can leave your existing GV setup as is. You can simply set up one or several accounts on your Obi with a phone provider, and use the DID they give you as a forwarding number from GV for incoming calls. For outgoing calls, you can have your new phone provider spoof your GV number for outgoing caller id, and now you have incoming and outgoing to your GV number. For international calls via GV, you can initiate the call from the GV website and have it ring your Obi phone and place the call, or call in to your GV number from an outside phone and press 2 to place a call.

You can keep your GV number and not port and still use your Obi and still text from your GV account.

Thanks for your response... If I understand correctly, say I use callcentric (which I already use as sp2 for my e911 service), I use their DID number and simply forward calls to my GV number to that DID number so that my phone would ring.. For outgoing calls within the US , I spoof the calls to get initiated from the DID number to go to my GV number so that it shows up on the Caller id.. I cannot do the same for the international dialing though and so you are saying I have to initiate the call from a GV website or call from another phone...

It doesn't really solve my issue since most of the time my mom or in-laws  would like to make international calls from my home phone.. I will probably go with the same set up and use an external calling card company for international calls.. That way, i still get to use my GV as it is except for international calls..

askthiru

just a quick question, does ooma with gv extensions help me out in this scenario or not?

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: askthiru on April 26, 2014, 06:42:28 AM
Quote from: mo832 on April 25, 2014, 02:16:27 PM

Thanks for your response... If I understand correctly, say I use callcentric (which I already use as sp2 for my e911 service), I use their DID number and simply forward calls to my GV number to that DID number so that my phone would ring.. For outgoing calls within the US , I spoof the calls to get initiated from the DID number to go to my GV number so that it shows up on the Caller id.. I cannot do the same for the international dialing though and so you are saying I have to initiate the call from a GV website or call from another phone...

It doesn't really solve my issue since most of the time my mom or in-laws  would like to make international calls from my home phone.. I will probably go with the same set up and use an external calling card company for international calls.. That way, i still get to use my GV as it is except for international calls..

You can make international calls through Callcentric while spoofing your Google Voice caller ID using the Obi - it works the same as domestic calls.  CC rates are slightly cheaper than GV international ones so you will save money to boot.

AlanB

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on April 26, 2014, 01:05:31 PM

You can make international calls through Callcentric while spoofing your Google Voice caller ID using the Obi - it works the same as domestic calls.  CC rates are slightly cheaper than GV international ones so you will save money to boot.

If askthiru wants a separate service for outbound, which he said he didn't, there are cheaper options such as CircleNet.

Usetheforceobiwan

Remember that you can always use Google Voice for outbound calling via POTS (not SIP, not computer) by calling your un-ported Google Voice number with one of your GV forwarding numbers and dialing 2 when you hear the Google voicemail announcement.  

From Google Voice help:

How to use your own Google number to make a call

If you'd like to make a call from a different phone number but want to make your Google Voice number show up on the caller ID, you can use own Google number to place the call.

Call your own Google number.
Press 2.
Enter the number you want to call.
Press the pound # key.

scoleman.69@gmail.com

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on April 26, 2014, 08:32:12 PM
Remember that you can always use Google Voice for outbound calling via POTS (not SIP, not computer) by calling your un-ported Google Voice number with one of your GUV forwarding numbers and dialing 2 when you hear the Google voicemail announcement. 

From Google Voice help:

How to use your own Google number to make a call

If you'd like to make a call from a different phone number but want to make your Google Voice number show up on the caller ID, you can use own Google number to place the call.

Call your own Google number.
Press 2.
Enter the number you want to call.
Press the pound # key.

Sounded great, but as usual Google's 'Google Voice > Help >' was their typical minimalist crap where just enough is left out to cause one to spend hours trying what it clearly implies is required, when in fact there's more to it...  which a couple short sentences would cover...  i.e. no mention that the numbers HAD TO BE 'one of your GV forwarding numbers'...  They did, elsewhere, or when attempted, did allow as how any cell already associated with a GV number, or other GV numbers 'need not apply'...

Sheeeshhhh...

sc