News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Localphone - Trouble Dialing Specific Numbers

Started by HighTechnology, April 25, 2014, 03:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighTechnology

Anticipating the end of GoogleVoice's free ride, I created accounts on Localphone (for outgoing) and Callcentric for incoming (especially since I wanted a NY DID).  I've used GoogleVoice with my Obi for the past 3 years or so, with no issues that I remember.

With the new set up, incoming works flawlessly with GoogleVoice forwarded to Callcentric.

Unfortunately, I am running into some outgoing issues with Localphone.  Many calls go through just fine, but some others just result in silence on my end.  For example, when I dial into my company's conference call number (an 877#) I have been on hours of calls, and never had an issue.

There are some numbers that simply don't work.  For example, my remote voicemail access number results in dead silence. My Obi shows the call connected, and the call status shows no receiving CODEC and I hear nothing when this occurs.  About 30 seconds later, what sounds like a fax machine picks up and the CODEC shows a receiving CODEC... I also get billed for this call, so Localphone thinks it's connected too.  When I call my office number which is the same area code and exchange, the call goes through fine...

The same silence issue happens when I call a colleague in another city -- dead silence. 

Any ideas what's causing this?

If someone else has an Obi with Localphone as their outgoing service, can you try to call 212-345-5555 and let me know if you hear the voice prompts?  Don't worry about it being a prank call, it's the voicemail access number used by over 1,000 people.  It should prompt you to enter an extension to call or press # if you have a mailbox, at which point you can hang up. 

Thanks!

What's strange is that if I call from my cell, there is no fax machine. After 30 seconds the call disconnects.

chicobiker

I have localphone set up on SP3 myself and just tried your number; dead silence.  Just finished a 40 minute outgoing call using localphone about 20 ago.  No idea, just reporting results.  Regards.

c3c3

Worked fine for me.  Try changing the outgoing caller ID to see if it makes any difference.  I had an "outgoing caller ID dependent" issue with Localphone before.

Sam_from_CircleNet

I tried this number with a several of our providers and it worked on most of them, a few returned a false answer and dead air. Interestingly enough I know that Localphone and Voxbeam are closely tied together and it did work on Voxbeam.

Sam

HighTechnology

Quote from: c3c3 on April 25, 2014, 11:39:33 PM
Worked fine for me.  Try changing the outgoing caller ID to see if it makes any difference.  I had an "outgoing caller ID dependent" issue with Localphone before.

Ding, ding, ding...  THANK YOU!!!  I would have NEVER thought of this.

So when I have Localphone using my GV number or my cell number as the caller ID, it results in dead silence.  When I select to block the caller ID, the calls go through.

Might you also know how to overcome this issue?  Most people don't answer blocked calls, so I'd really like either my cell number or my GoogleVoice number to show...

c3c3

Quote from: HighTechnology on April 26, 2014, 08:37:07 AMMight you also know how to overcome this issue?  Most people don't answer blocked calls, so I'd really like either my cell number or my GoogleVoice number to show...

Contact tech support.  I found the workaround when I was trying to figure out why my mom calling me took up to 40 seconds to start ringing through Localphone.  They reproduced the problem and took a carrier out of the route.

BTW, change your caller ID back and see if it eventually starts to ring, even after the busy signal at 30 seconds.

tiff

Sorry it's a newbie question. I would like to set up like the OP, incoming with Callcentric and outgoing with Localphone. On the Obi side, do you just enter LP's SIP id, pw, and server name to get it to work?

What if I use LP for both incoming and outgoing? I need to get a LP incoming number to have GV forward to it, correct? How do I configure in this case? 

carl

Quote from: tiff on April 26, 2014, 03:19:34 PM

What if I use LP for both incoming and outgoing? I need to get a LP incoming number to have GV forward to it, correct? How do I configure in this case? 

Once you have a Localphone DID set up you configure it on the Localphone's web site- essentially, it will ask you where you want your calls being forwarded and you check the 'internet phone" option.

bluechip

Suggestions:
(1.) Setup OBi in router's DMZ and then use the "Oleg Method" to prevent scanners.
(2.) Use "proxy.localphone.com"
for Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP
ProxyServer
RegistrarServer
OutboundProxy
(3.) Ask Localphone Tech-Support to change the routing for a problem number.

Meats

apparently localphone has an issue with Verizon. This is a big deal in my opinion as Verizon is one of the largest carriers in the US, if not the largest. Many numbers I tried to call with localphone had the issue. I created a screencast of the problem and sent to their support team.

Below is the response I received:

"Thank your for the screen cast. We are aware of this issue and currently working with Verizon to get this problem resolved. Unfortunately at present we do not have a time scale for the resolution off this work."

HighTechnology

Thanks, Meats. You got far further than I did. Frankly, I found Localphone's support in this area severely lacking. Without the spoofed caller ID it works sometimes, but that is simply not good enough. And you hit it spot on, they are verizon numbers I am trying to connect to. Most of my company office locations around the country use verizon so this is deal breaker for me.

I have since signed up for CircleNet for outgoing (and have a call centric account with NY DID that GoogleVoice is forwarded to for incoming). Works great and CircleNet is even cheaper by the minute and every call has connected without issue thus far (30 or so of them).

So in a couple of weeks I will request a partial refund from Localphone's customer service for my unused balance of what I paid. Just want to make sure CircleNet doesn't incur any growing pains as they've got a nice following on here pretty quickly. So far, Sam's been very quick to resolve any issues that anyone has encountered so he's starting off his company on the right foot!

Meats

Quote from: HighTechnology on May 19, 2014, 08:22:50 PM
Thanks, Meats. You got far further than I did. Frankly, I found Localphone's support in this area severely lacking. Without the spoofed caller ID it works sometimes, but that is simply not good enough. And you hit it spot on, they are verizon numbers I am trying to connect to. Most of my company office locations around the country use verizon so this is deal breaker for me.

I have since signed up for CircleNet for outgoing (and have a call centric account with NY DID that GoogleVoice is forwarded to for incoming). Works great and CircleNet is even cheaper by the minute and every call has connected without issue thus far (30 or so of them).

So in a couple of weeks I will request a partial refund from Localphone's customer service for my unused balance of what I paid. Just want to make sure CircleNet doesn't incur any growing pains as they've got a nice following on here pretty quickly. So far, Sam's been very quick to resolve any issues that anyone has encountered so he's starting off his company on the right foot!

keep us posted on your refund request with Localphone. I requested they credit my account for all the extraneous troubleshooting I did and they did not honor that request. Even though it was only a handful of pennies, its the principle.

HighTechnology

In my case, the refund was a bit more.  They basically refunded $8 or so of my $10, after their 10% administrative fee.  I agree with your principle comment, and while I appreciate the quick refund, I don't agree that they deserve to take 10% off the top for administrative fees.