News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Reducing time taken to make outbound call on POTS line

Started by unmesh, April 27, 2014, 11:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unmesh

I'm also trying out various alternatives in preparation for the May 15 GV cutoff and am having a problem using POTS as my primary line in the interim.

My home phones are connected to the Phone port of an Obi110 with SP1 provisioned to GV and, when using the Line port for outbound calls with a **8 prefix, it takes a long time after I finish dialing for ringing to be heard. Is this because the default DigitMaps subject these calls to a timeout of some sort?

If so, how do I improve this behavior?

Thanks.

P.S. I have confirmed that connecting the phones directly to the POTS line has the right response time.

MurrayB

If you hit the # key when you take the phone off hook you will be immediately connected to the POTS dial tone. Just dial normally as the Obi is now out of the loop.

Mango

You can test to see if your dial plan is causing the problem by dialing # after the number dialed.  If you still experience the delay, set the following:

LINE Port DetectOutboundConnectMethod: None

LINE Port DialDigitOnTime: 75
LINE Port DialDigitOffTime: 50

If this does not work, increase these in increments of 25 until you figure out what does work.

ProfTech

I like leaving the DetectOutBoundConnectMethod at the default setting of "Assume connected after a short delay". This causes the user to hear ringing right away so they have a warm & fuzzy. I suspect your long delay is coming from the dial plan setup. A setting of "xx." in certain places can cause a 10 second delay. Regarding the Line settings, After a year of experimenting and working with 2 different Obi's in 2 locations I saw a post that mentioned the LinePort -> DialDelay setting. It defaults to 500 milliseconds which appears to be too short in some cases. Changing it to 1000 corrected all of my issues and doesn't add any noticeable delay. The dial digit on and off time seem to work fine at 200 milliseconds. If you must lengthen them it will add a slight delay before you hear ringing but the extremely long pause you are hearing is likely due to the dial plan. I played with the setting mentioned above at "None" but didn't leave it set that way for long. Don't remember why.

Mango

"None" means no delay, "assume connected" is a short (don't know how short) delay.  So the user will hear ringing sooner (depending on how soon the POTS provider sends it) with "none".

For the record, (((200+200)*11)+1000) milliseconds is 5.4 seconds.  (((75+50)*11)+1000) milliseconds is 2.375 seconds, or less than half.

ProfTech

Mango is absolutely correct. I didn't read the post close enough and didn't notice that you were reducing the dtmf times. I never tried reducing them to anything less than the defaults since I was having trouble making outdialing working reliably. I was instead going the other way which only made the pause before ringing was heard worse. However, it wasn't until I changed the DialDelay setting to 1000 that my original issue was fixed. At that point I put the dtmf time settings back to the defaults and the pause before I hear ringback is not noticeable. The "assume connected" setting does cause a sort of weird behavior when you dial a busy number on the POTS line, however. The Obi generates a short 1 to 2 second burst of Ringback then you hear the busy signal. Since one hardly ever gets a busy signal any more my wife hasn't even noticed. Point I was making is the dial plan is probably the culprit in unmesh case. It definitely can cause a very noticeable delay and might be fixed by tweaking the dial plan to remove any xx.