News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Approved Service Providers vs. "unapproved" providers

Started by LorenzoA, May 09, 2014, 11:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LorenzoA

Does anyone know if there are advantages to Obi customers for using one of the Approved Providers vs the 'unapproved' providers? There are only 3 on the approved list. I use one of them and am not satisfied, mostly due to SIP Scanners and the service responses from the provider. I've been reading posts on this forum. Almost everyone is very helpful but I get confused with different "opinions" and seemingly contradictory suggestions.  I realize the Forum may not be intended for lay users like me. I'm wondering whether I should try the other 2 approved providers or try one from outside the list or give up my Obi and go with Vonage and the like. I've enjoyed using my Obi with Google Voice - was troublefree but perhaps it's time to say goodbye to it? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Shale

We can help you solve the SIP scanner problem. I got motivated at 4AM one night. About 6AM, I had cure #1 implemented. Better surer techniques were discovered, and I switched to one of those.

Then OBi modified Anveo modified their setup script to implement the cure for those initially using OBiTalk for setting up. Oddly, when the approved vendor package thing was done with a package deal, that cure was omitted from the setup. There is a recent thread describing that that cure has been put in place, and that Anveo "approved" package users can get the updated setup by deleting the current setup and setting up again.

Not to say that there would not be other reasons to change... I like Anveo. I am not using the new approved package myself.

While my one SIP scanner call was traumatic, I really had more problems with robocalls. I have been able to solve that. It's wonderful. I can look in the logs to see I get about 5 of those per week now (down from initially), and they do not ring my phone. The number was ported from my old wireline phone.

dudly

I switched over to Callcentric for inbound and Circlenet for outbound.  It has worked out extremely well.  
Callcentric now has a feature called telemarketer block, that at least for me, has blocked literally 100% of the robocalls I was receiving.  I did not realize how seldom the phone actually rang once the telemarketers were stomped.  With the political season getting into full swing (does it ever stop), it is nice not to be hounded by the candidates helper robots.