News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two PhonePower Accounts - One Obi202 Device - Register Failed

Started by dwhitejazz, April 28, 2014, 06:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwhitejazz

I hope someone has an answer for this problem.  A few weeks ago I setup a PhonePower account on SP2 and this is working perfectly.  The device has a status of "Registered".

Tonight I tried to create an additional PhonePower account (i.e. different phone number, different PhonePower userID) for use on SP1.  This time the registration will not succeed.  No matter what I try the status remains, "Register Failed: No Response From Server".

Since I have a working configuration with SP2 I do not believe this is a port-forwarding issue or an SIP-ALG issue.  I believe my router is configured correctly.

I've tried deleting the device, and resyncing it from the PhonePower web site.  PhonePower support thinks this is an Obi configuration issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

drgeoff

Since both 'lines' are using the same ITSP provider you only need to set up one of ITSP Profile A or ITSP Profile B.  If your SP2 is working OK then Voice Services, SP2 Service, X_ServProvProfile must be set to a working 'A' or 'B'.  Ensure that Voice Services, SP1 Service, X_ServProvProfile is set to the same choice.

dwhitejazz

Wondering if this is a port being blocked issue.  I tried switching SP1, X_ServProvProfile to use "B" (i.e. the profile that is registered and working) and I still get the same error message, "Register Failed: No Response From Server".

Curiously, before the message appears, the status is briefly, "Registration Not Required" (or perhaps "Necessary" - can't remember which).

Still, if it were a port issue, I would expect SP2 to fail as well.

dwhitejazz

Just to be sure there was not a port issue, I moved the Obi202 unit into the DMZplus zone of the router and this made no difference.

However, PhonePower confirmed to me last night there is an issue with configuring two separate PhonePower accounts on the same Obi device.  No solution yet, but hopefully there will be soon.

Furthermore, the SP2 "registered" PhonePower account is no longer completely working.  Outgoing calls will take 30 seconds before the first ring is heard.  Sometimes the call does not even connect and an automated audio response, "No response from service provider" is returned.  This issue did not occur until I created the second PhonePower account.  Even removing the SP1 configuration from the Obi202 does not resolve this issue.

In sum, there is an issue with creating 2 separate PhonePower accounts and trying to use them with a single Obi202 device.

I'll post an update when I receive more news...

jimmitten

I am having the same problem.
I can get one PhonePower Account working on SP1 (either one of my two accounts).
However, I cannot get it to work on SP2. I tried the change suggested, but it did nothing for me.

Dale

same issue here, and phonepower also stated that they are working with Obi to resolve the issue. I pressed them on the issue and the problem is with the provisioning of the service, not the  actual co-existence of the two accounts.

They said that I could get the SIP credentials from the account portal and I fetched them. They make it very clear that if you use the SIP credentials instead of their managed service - they will not provide any configuration support. Fine.

I tried to set up SP2 using those credentials via the Obi portal setup screens (selected generic service provider from the list)  but after doing all that, it still claims that SP2 is not configured....!

Any idea why the Obi portals claims 'not configured' ?

The credential the phonepower portal provides are like this:
Auth ID:     207nnnnnnn   (your phonepower phone number)
Use Auth:     Yes
SIP User ID:     207nnnnnnn (your phonepower phone number)
SIP Password:     5XXXXXXXXXx1 (a generated SIP password)
Proxy:     sip.phonepower.com

But the Obi portal wizard did not ask for 'use auth'

drgeoff

Try using either the Expert Configuration or your OBi's local web server configuration.

dwhitejazz

I talked with PhonePower this evening and they confirmed that the problem is with the provisioning script Obihai uses to configure the device.  Apparently, the script "assumes" only one account per device and this is causing trouble.

I enabled SIP credentials and I still cannot get the account to register even though I believe I am supplying the proper credentials.  I'm guessing that there are other parameter conflicts (e.g. port sharing) that is causing the difficulty.

I know Obihai did not have their script completely working and a recent firmware update fixed that problem.

Unfortunately, the PhonePower tech seemed to think this issue might take a while to fix.  I hope not.  Obihai should have tested more than one configured PhonePower account.  This is not an uncommon scenario.

dwhitejazz

I received confirmation from Obihai today that configuring two PhonePower accounts on a single Obi device is a problem and they are actively working with PhonePower to resolve the issue.  Using one PhonePower account should work.

I did a factory reset of my Obi202 device and restored my GoogleVoice account as a temporary measure.  Now that the weekend has arrived, I will try to restore a single PhonePower account.

Until Obihai comes out with a firmware update, do not attempt to configure two PhonePower accounts on the same Obi device.

Hope they come out with a fix before the 15th.  One thing I have found out the hard way: even if you consider yourself an "expert" it is probably best to do a factory reset.  Even though I had deleted my prior PhonePower and GoogleVoice configurations I could not get my GoogleVoice account to work again until I started from a completely "clean" device state.

I'm hoping the problem with the 30-second delay in audio and "no response from the service provider" problems go away when I restore the single PhonePower account in my "clean state" Obi device.  Those problems did not start happening until after I added the second PhonePower configuration.

drgeoff

I'm not clear from reading the previous two posts if the problem is with the script that runs on the OBiTALK server or with the firmware in the 202.  If the former, then a manual configuration using the 202's local web server or the Expert Configuration at obitalk.com should work fine and not require waiting for Obihai to do anything.

MikePA

I could not get PhonePower to work on SP2. Had to implement on SP1 and put Anveo on SP2.

drgeoff

Quote from: MikePA on May 03, 2014, 05:08:09 PM
I could not get PhonePower to work on SP2. Had to implement on SP1 and put Anveo on SP2.
"could not get to work PhonePower to work on SP2" by which of:
1.  The OBi Dashboard
and/or
2.  Expert Configuration at obitalk.com
and/or
3.  Configuration by device's local web server?

dwhitejazz

Obihai has resolved the issue with configuring two PhonePower accounts on a single Obi202 device.

Obihai did not issue a firmware update, therefore the fix was only in their provisioning script and the parameters.

One thing I noticed: even though both SP1 and SP2 are "Registered" and work, when I edit the configuration the VOIP Phone Number (xxxxxxxxxx@sip.phonepower.com) setting (in basic mode, not expert) is blank, yet the configuration works.

I recommend doing a factory reset of the Obi202 device, deleting the device from the ObiTalk portal, and then re-adding it.  Then resync your PhonePower accounts.  You will save yourself a a lot of headaches.  You must also disable SIP-ALG on your router, and use the correct port-forwarding settings (or put the Obi202 device in the DMZ zone).  If anyone wants the list of ports I can post them here.

Finally, even though both my PhonePower accounts are configured and working, there is obvious latency when calls are forwarded through GoogleVoice.  The latency when going through PhonePower directly (outgoing or incoming calls) is minimal and not noticeable.  Therefore, we may be porting our GoogleVoice numbers over to PhonePower since most of the services GoogleVoice provides are available there.

dwhitejazz

I'm still waiting for Obihai to tell me exactly what they changed in order to get the 2 PhonePower accounts working on a single Obi202 device.

I want to know the exact list of parameters, and if anything outside of the parameters had to be fixed.

I do know that no firmware update was needed to resolve the issue.

dwhitejazz

From Obihai: Minor (but irritating) bug. SIP service settings were assigned to the incorrect service slot in the OBi.

No details yet regarding which specific parameters needed to be fixed, but that was the issue.

dwhitejazz

Important Information:

Last week I ported both my GoogleVoice numbers over to my PhonePower accounts since I could not resolve the latency issues with calls forwarded through GoogleVoice.

After the numbers were ported this awful "Registration Failed" problem returned.  Upon re-syncing the Obi202 one PhonePower account would register successfully, and the other would fail.

It turns out there is also a PhonePower issue in addition to the Obihai provisioning script issue.  The trouble is that the port used for the accounts to perform registration must be different if you have 2 PhonePower accounts on the same Obi device.  This is a change PhonePower had to make on one of my accounts.

"There was a port change made on this account, since you have a second number with PhonePower on the same adapter there was a port conflict  as they both were registering on the same port number."

Therefore, if you are using 2 PhonePower accounts on the same Obi device, I think you will need to contact PhonePower and have them make the appropriate change to resolve the port conflict.

Stars1962

Any updates to this.

Having the same problem (I swear it worked fine when I originally setup my phonepower accounts in April 2014). But noticed I wasn't getting any inbound calls to my main phonepower line and noticed the Registration failed error.

I have updated firmware, deleted SP1 and SP2 and reprovisioned using the auto provisioning. So I guess Phonepower hasn't fixed their side yet.

What do I tell phonepower when I contact them so they understand what I need them to do?

Thanks!

HDFLucky

Phonepower's "solution" is to increment the X_KeepAliveServerPort and X_UserAgentPort port numbers on the non-working sp in increments of 1000 (e.g., if they are currently 5060 and 5061, change to 6060 and 6061, or 7060 and 7061, etc.). You can access these settings from the Expert menu under Voice Service > SPx Service.