News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I use GV Voicemail when using CC for incoming call? - need advice

Started by djmikmik, April 29, 2014, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djmikmik

So here is my plan when GV is shutting off their services to 3rd parties on May 15th:

1. Got a free NY callcentric incoming number
2. Forward GV number to the CC number - so I can keep my GV number
3. Remove the GV config in OBi and replace it with CC
4. Use a low cost VOIP provider for outbound call (thinking about CircleNet) with GV CNAM

Now here is what I would like to do:

==> People will call me via my GV number, it will be forwarded to CC number. If the line is busy, no answer or not available I would like to use GV Voicemail (rather than CC Voicemail service).

Is it possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

gderf

So long as you don't enable voicemail on your CC number, GV voicmail should take the call.

If you do enable voicemail on CC, then whichever voicemail service is set to pick up in the lesser number of rings will take the call.

I don't know if it's possible to set the number of rings before voicemail picks up the call on either service.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

JH2011

Quote from: djmikmik on April 29, 2014, 11:35:45 AM
So here is my plan when GV is shutting off their services to 3rd parties on May 15th:

1. Got a free NY callcentric incoming number
2. Forward GV number to the CC number - so I can keep my GV number
3. Remove the GV config in OBi and replace it with CC
4. Use a low cost VOIP provider for outbound call (thinking about CircleNet) with GV CNAM

Now here is what I would like to do:

==> People will call me via my GV number, it will be forwarded to CC number. If the line is busy, no answer or not available I would like to use GV Voicemail (rather than CC Voicemail service).

Is it possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

I have this exact setup and it works great and gives me transcribed GV voicemail emails.

I also use cc Pay Per Call (at no monthly charge) with spoofed GV caller ID, and it works great too.

djmikmik

Thank you all for your feedback. I will try it at home. Hopefully it will work just fine.

classpro

This is exactly what I'm doing: GV to CC for incoming, Circlenet for outgoing.  Setup is a little tricky, but I'm slowly getting it working.  I set it up through the adapter over the web interface rather than through Obi.  It was a matter of reading a lot of different posts and playing around until everything worked.

SteveInWA

Yah, sure, that's how we do it.

The issue is that Google Voice has a fixed, 25-second interval between ringing the called party's number, and then giving up and going to its own voicmail system.  It's not adjustable.

Callcentric's ring-before-VM interval is adjustable, so just set it to 30 seconds or longer.  If you do have CC VM set up, I suggest setting a 30+ second interval instead of disabling it entirely.  That way, if some random caller calls the CC number directly, it won't ring forever.  This also handles the possibility that GV has an outage.

I attached a screenshot of the CC VM settings page.  Note that you can also define CC "Call treatments", or rules, which also have a spot to define the ring period.