News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Compare Spa122, what should obi200 improve for the "ghost number"?

Started by smithpeter, April 30, 2014, 10:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithpeter

My probelm is, when I used Spa122(ATA) from Cisco(I put it after the router,"bridge" mode) I didn't get any 100, 1001 number calling in. And at night time, I simply set a "deny access" to Spa122 through dd-wrt setting on my dlink-615(e3) Router. Then there was no dial tone on the phone and noboday can call in and I slept well.

After I switched to OBI200, I found out there was lots of 100 or 1001 number calling in  day and night. And at night time, althought I set a "deny access" to OBI200 through dd-wrt on my dlink-615(e3) Router, as I did to the Spa122,  the OBI200 still got dial tone. The 100 and 1001 number still can ring my phone. I tried to use my cellphone to call my OBI200 home phone, I found that ,althought, when "denied access",  it can't make a sucessful phone call but the ring still sounds.
So, the dd-wrt "deny access" setting worked on the spa122 but not totally on Obi200.

Then I switch back to Spa122, everything became normal again(all the setup on my dlink615(dd-wrt) was the same.), I can finally sleep!!!

I know that  the new firmware of obi200 came with the option  "X_EnforceRequestUserID", it might solve the "Ghost call" problem. But I still want the "deny access" to work on Obi200, in case other number might call in at night.

And my anther suggestion will be, would it be nice if  we can set a timer to automatically turn on "do not disturb" at night and turn it off at daytime. I think a lot of people will like that idea, because most of us want a nice sleep at night. The phamton number bother us more at night than at daytime and we don't want to dial"*78"  manually every night.

Mango

I'm not sure why "deny access" doesn't work for incoming calls, but since it blocks outgoing calls, it prevents you from dialing 911.

What service provider do you use?  Some service providers allow you to set up time conditions that sends incoming calls to voicemail during certain hours.

ianobi

The "ghost calls" are from SIP scanners. The best way to get a good night's sleep is to stop them. Here's how:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5467.msg35387#msg35387

I agree that user configurable DND timers would be a good idea.

smithpeter

Quote from: Mango on May 01, 2014, 07:44:38 AM
I'm not sure why "deny access" doesn't work for incoming calls, but since it blocks outgoing calls, it prevents you from dialing 911.

What service provider do you use?  Some service providers allow you to set up time conditions that sends incoming calls to voicemail during certain hours.
The service provider is freephoneline in Canada.  "deny access" work for Spa122;  with obi200, I can't dial out when "denied access", but  there is still dial tone. And when someone call in, the ring still sounds even the call wouldn't go through, just enough to wait me up.

At night time, I want a total "deny access", otherwise some real number (not 100 or 101) might still disturb me. So I wish we can set the "do not disturb" to automatically turn on and off at certain hours if the "deny access" from the router is not working.

giqcass

Does the *78, Do Not Disturb function work?  I have never used it on the Obi personally but it sounds like the simple way to turn off incoming calls for the night.  If you just want to kill Sip scanners the Oleg method referenced in the link above that  ianobi posted is the best.
*78, Do Not Disturb
*79, Disable DND

I also hacked together a way to automate a ring schedule on any Obi using any service.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7354.msg46986#msg46986
Long live our new ObiLords!