News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configurable "do not disturb" so it can be automaticlly turn on/off at night

Started by smithpeter, May 02, 2014, 07:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithpeter

I strongly suggest Obi to add a Configurable "do not disturb" timer feature, so that we can set the "do not disturb" to  be automaticlly turn on/off at certian night hours. I believe many people don't want calls to call in at certain hours and don't want to do "*78" manually every night. It will be even better, if we can still call out during the "Do not disturb" period if we pick up the phone, while no one can call in.

Roger

A lot of us on this forum use a google voice number, and in the GV settings you can select your DND times.  That feature will still work after May 15th.  (Getting rid of your GV number because GV is getting rid of XMPP is rash).

I have always been tempted to use DND at night, but what if there is a true emergency and you actually want the call?

giqcass

They really should have this in my opinion.  Along with a whitelist of numbers that can bypass do not disturb.  There is a dau night mode for Obiplus and there are a few hacks to make your own.

Quote from: Roger on May 02, 2014, 01:15:56 PM
I have always been tempted to use DND at night, but what if there is a true emergency and you actually want the call?
I once had the same trepidation as you.  Here is my solution.
1)Get married.
2)Make sure everyone has your spouses cell phone number for emergencies. 
3)Enable do not disturb.
4)Get a good night sleep.
Long live our new ObiLords!

drgeoff

Quote from: giqcass on May 03, 2014, 10:30:07 PM
I once had the same trepidation as you.  Here is my solution.
1)Get married.
Even more rash than "getting rid of your GV number".  ;D

AlanB

Many phones have this feature built in.  My Panasonic cordless phones do, each extension can be programmed independently.  Not a cheap option of course.

smithpeter

Quote from: AlanB on May 08, 2014, 09:22:55 AM
Many phones have this feature built in.  My Panasonic cordless phones do, each extension can be programmed independently.  Not a cheap option of course.
Thank you! And I check my Panasonic phones, they also have the "night mode", that is exactly what I want. How stupid am I? Having using this phone for 4 years, never know this feature before! Now everything is perfect.

smithpeter

I also notice that, on my Obi200 "star code profile A" , there is "code 34--*12 auto night mode set($Opm, 2)", does anyone know how to use that?  , what is that for? Is it for obiplus customer only?

AlanB

Quote from: smithpeter on May 10, 2014, 10:38:11 AM
I also notice that, on my Obi200 "star code profile A" , there is "code 34--*12 auto night mode set($Opm, 2)", does anyone know how to use that?  , what is that for? Is it for obiplus customer only?
Per the documentation (http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543114), *34 is ObiPlus subscription only.

But, it looks like *78 will turn on Do Not Disturb and *79 will turn if off.
http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543032

tomwest

I use the *78, *79 when having a nap or anytime I don't want to be disturbed.  ;)

One feature I have had on another phone system that was VERY useful was when DND was activated there was a stutter dial tone thereby alerting DND was active for either a reminder or to tell another user that the DND is active!

restamp

Quote from: Roger on May 02, 2014, 01:15:56 PM
I agree with whoever suggested a white list of numbers that would be allowed to break the DND, but since we don't have that option, I obtained another DID number I'll call my "private" line and give that number out only to those trusted folks I want to allow to contact me during my DND times.  Renting that number from voip.ms costs me a buck a month.  I then created a special DND star code which places DND on SP1 and SP3 while still allowing calls on SP2, the "private" line.  (I don't use SP4 or ObiTalk.)  The programming sequence for this star code (I elected to use star code 88) is *88, Partial DND, set(Sp1($Dnd),1)), set(Sp3($Dnd),1)And, of course, I just use the normal *79 to disable the partial DND.  So far, this has worked OK for me, and I even put a special ringtone on SP2 to denote a call coming in on that line as an urgent call.