News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will my ported GV number work the same way??!

Started by wilberfan, May 02, 2014, 06:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilberfan

I've just switched my provider to Anveo from Google Voice, and requested porting my GV number to Anveo.

But I'm suddenly confused about something.

Because I had the Google Voice app on my Android phone AND Google Voice was my OBiTalk provider, when someone called my GV number, both my cellphone AND home phone rang.

Now that I've made the switch to Anveo, WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO HAVE BOTH PHONES RING WHEN MY PORTED GV NUMBER IS CALLED?

(In other words, when someone calls my Google Voice number (ported to Anveo) will I still be able to answer that call on either my home or cell phone)  :o ???

If so, what/how do I set that up..?

wilberfan

I'm beginning to think that I should have NOT ported my Google Voice number--just left it as Google Voice--then just added my new Anveo number to the Google Voice forwarding numbers...   :(   Or is that, too, going away on May 15th?

SteveInWA

Google Voice, the service, is not going away.  The only thing that is going away is the companion service, Google Chat, which was used as a way for OBi devices to access Google Voice.

You can still port your number back to GV if you wish, to continue using its standard features.  There have been dozens of discussions on this forum on how to do that...  Merely forward your GV number to your Anveo number, and receive inbound calls to it on your OBi box.  For outbound calls, you can have Anveo "spoof" or send your GV number's caller ID.

For example:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7768.msg50325#msg50325

wilberfan

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 02, 2014, 10:42:34 PM
Google Voice, the service, is not going away.  The only thing that is going away is the companion service, Google Chat, which was used as a way for OBi devices to access Google Voice.

You can still port your number back to GV if you wish, to continue using its standard features.  There have been dozens of discussions on this forum on how to do that...  Merely forward your GV number to your Anveo number, and receive inbound calls to it on your OBi box.  For outbound calls, you can have Anveo "spoof" or send your GV number's caller ID.

For example:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7768.msg50325#msg50325

I'm sure I have to wait to port my Google Voice number BACK to Google Voice after it's successfully 'arrived' at Anveo (which hasn't happened yet--and it's been over 5 hours. [Anveo promises an hour.])  It looks like it'll cost me $20 for my mistake (to re-port it back to Google), too...  Dammit.

In the meantime, I can't hear incoming calls to the Anveo-assigned number.  Phone rings, tho.  (I'll post a separate thread.)

SteveInWA

Quote from: wilberfan on May 02, 2014, 11:34:59 PM
Google Voice, the service, is not going away.  The only thing that is going away is the companion service, Google Chat, which was used as a way for OBi devices to access Google Voice.

You can still port your number back to GV if you wish, to continue using its standard features.  There have been dozens of discussions on this forum on how to do that...  Merely forward your GV number to your Anveo number, and receive inbound calls to it on your OBi box.  For outbound calls, you can have Anveo "spoof" or send your GV number's caller ID.

For example:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7768.msg50325#msg50325

I'm sure I have to wait to port my Google Voice number BACK to Google Voice after it's successfully 'arrived' at Anveo (which hasn't happened yet--and it's been over 5 hours. [Anveo promises an hour.])  It looks like it'll cost me $20 for my mistake (to re-port it back to Google), too...  Dammit.

In the meantime, I can't hear incoming calls to the Anveo-assigned number.  Phone rings, tho.  (I'll post a separate thread.)

Yes, I would definitely advise waiting until your number is fully working (inbound happens after outbound) on Anveo, before porting back out...it creates a mess otherwise.  Regardless of what the carriers promise, porting land line numbers can take some extra time (it could be several business days or more), so just give it a few more days, and contact Anveo when you get tired of waiting, and ask them to check the status of the port.

With regard to your other post, in which you can't hear inbound calls, it could be an incomplete port, or more likely some other issue.  If you want to troubleshoot, I'd suggest starting by taking the OBi out of the equation.  Download Counterpath X-Lite softphone, and configure it with your Anveo credentials, and see if calls and their audio work on the softphone.

There are also many (unfortunately long) discussions here about a router feature known as SIP ALG (Application Layer Gateway) causing one-way audio.  SIP ALG is useless on home routers, and it needs to be disabled if present.  It wasn't an issue when you used GV, because Google Chat used XMPP, not SIP.  You will need to log onto your home router and look for it.  On my Linksys router, it's under Administration.  Sorry, every router seems to bury it somewhere.

wilberfan

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 03, 2014, 12:12:23 AM

With regard to your other post, in which you can't hear inbound calls, it could be an incomplete port, or more likely some other issue.  If you want to troubleshoot, I'd suggest starting by taking the OBi out of the equation.  Download Counterpath X-Lite softphone, and configure it with your Anveo credentials, and see if calls and their audio work on the softphone.

There are also many (unfortunately long) discussions here about a router feature known as SIP ALG (Application Layer Gateway) causing one-way audio.  SIP ALG is useless on home routers, and it needs to be disabled if present.  It wasn't an issue when you used GV, because Google Chat used XMPP, not SIP.  You will need to log onto your home router and look for it.  On my Linksys router, it's under Administration.  Sorry, every router seems to bury it somewhere.

I'm running DD-WRT on a Buffalo router.  A quick Googleing says that DD-WRT doesn't HAVE a SIP ALG setting...so that's probably not what's causing my issue...

Do I need to do any specific port-forwarding?  I saw a thread somewhere in all of tonight's reading that said that port-forwarding is unnecessary and problematic.

I'll test the phone again in the morning...

[edit]  Does it make any sense that when I call the Anveo number, I hear my conversation in the phone I'm calling FROM, and nothing in the phone I'm calling TO...?   Does that suggest anything?

SteveInWA

Quote from: wilberfan on May 03, 2014, 12:34:41 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 03, 2014, 12:12:23 AM

With regard to your other post, in which you can't hear inbound calls, it could be an incomplete port, or more likely some other issue.  If you want to troubleshoot, I'd suggest starting by taking the OBi out of the equation.  Download Counterpath X-Lite softphone, and configure it with your Anveo credentials, and see if calls and their audio work on the softphone.

There are also many (unfortunately long) discussions here about a router feature known as SIP ALG (Application Layer Gateway) causing one-way audio.  SIP ALG is useless on home routers, and it needs to be disabled if present.  It wasn't an issue when you used GV, because Google Chat used XMPP, not SIP.  You will need to log onto your home router and look for it.  On my Linksys router, it's under Administration.  Sorry, every router seems to bury it somewhere.

I'm running DD-WRT on a Buffalo router.  A quick Googleing says that DD-WRT doesn't HAVE a SIP ALG setting...so that's probably not what's causing my issue...

Do I need to do any specific port-forwarding?  I saw a thread somewhere in all of tonight's reading that said that port-forwarding is unnecessary and problematic.

I'll test the phone again in the morning...

[edit]  Does it make any sense that when I call the Anveo number, I hear my conversation in the phone I'm calling FROM, and nothing in the phone I'm calling TO...?   Does that suggest anything?
Some people get into port-forwarding and DMZs, but I have never had to do that, in 15 years of fiddling with VoIP, and on many different routers and ATAs.  I suggest trying the softphone client next, as it will quickly eliminate any OBi configuration errors.  I have no idea why you have the one-way audio at this point, to be honest, but there are so many things that can be misconfigured on an OBi, that it's quick and easy to try a softphone instead.  It will also get your telephone hardware out of the equation.

Finally, it might just magically start working on Monday or whenever the port is truly complete.  ::)

SteveInWA

Also, just a shot in the dark, but if the softphone works, and the OBi doesn't, aside from the forehead-slapping obvious (the telephone is on mute or is broken), you may want to try deleting your device from the Obitalk portal, then performing a paper-clip hardware factory reset, and setting it up again with Anveo, to eliminate any residual bogus configuration info from GV.

I'm not an Anveo customer (I use Callcentric and Localphone), but I am sure some Anveo users will pile onto this thread to offer Anveo-specific advice or "hey, that happened to me, too" comments.

AlanB

Quote from: wilberfan on May 02, 2014, 06:44:10 PM
Because I had the Google Voice app on my Android phone AND Google Voice was my OBiTalk provider, when someone called my GV number, both my cellphone AND home phone rang.

Now that I've made the switch to Anveo, WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO HAVE BOTH PHONES RING WHEN MY PORTED GV NUMBER IS CALLED?

(In other words, when someone calls my Google Voice number (ported to Anveo) will I still be able to answer that call on either my home or cell phone)  :o ???

If so, what/how do I set that up..?

Yes (although I haven't personally tested it).  Anveo has a powerful Call Flow Builder.  One of the options is called "Transfer" and the documentation says it can transfer up to four calls simultaneously (including your Obi).

If you haven't played around with the call flow yet, be aware that your plan may limit you to a certain number of items.  The ObiTalk plans limit to 10 call flow items.  If you go over 10 there is a small charge, plus if it's labeled PRO there is a small charge. The "Transfer" item is NOT Pro, so should be included in your plan.

You can make multiple call flows, but only one is active.  This makes it easy to switch between call flows, or test them without messing up your working original.  You set the Active call flow under Phone Numbers...Call Options.

AlanB

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 03, 2014, 12:56:27 AM
I'm not an Anveo customer (I use Callcentric and Localphone), but I am sure some Anveo users will pile onto this thread to offer Anveo-specific advice or "hey, that happened to me, too" comments.
What's unfortunately equally likely to happen is one of the anti-Anveo trolls with no help to offer will latch on just to get another jab at Anveo to make themselves fill better.

Wilberfan, I left some info about the one-way audio in your other post, hopefully it helps.

wilberfan

For those keeping track, my GV number ported this morning.  I can now make the phone ring by dialing the ported number, OR the number given me by Anveo.   

But I still can't hear anything...

AlanB

wilberfan

It's what I was afraid of.  I'm not certain what goes in fields as basic as "User ID", "Domain", and "Password".  

Is it my "account number" from my Anveo dashboard?  Or what I use to log into the Anveo web page...?  According to this thread,

QuoteAccess to SIP credentials (username/password) is restricted on your subscription package. However, you can still configure other SIP related options.

Getting a softphone to work might be more work that getting my ATA to work!

SteveInWA

If it takes you longer than 5 minutes, I would be very surprised.

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_xlite

You should be able to view your account name and SIP password on the Anveo web site.

wilberfan

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 03, 2014, 06:53:32 PM
If it takes you longer than 5 minutes, I would be very surprised.

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_xlite

You should be able to view your account name and SIP password on the Anveo web site.

And yet, I don't think they allow it.  I sure don't see it anywhere.

QuoteQuote from: ericab on March 04, 2014, 10:17:41 pm
(i did save my config file, and tried to cherry pick the anveo SIP password; but for some reason the entry where is should be isnt there;
the username is however...)
That is for security.  No ITSP passwords should be saved in your backup config file.  Being forced to use Obitalk for the config = me not very likely to subscribe.

AlanB

If you are on the ObiTalk plan you can not see your SIP details.    That's all discussed here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0

wilberfan

Quote from: AlanB on May 03, 2014, 07:27:19 PM
If you are on the ObiTalk plan you can not see your SIP details.    That's all discussed here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0

Yes, I think that's the thread I was reading that led me to believe that.

Latest update:  Anveo Support had me try several things, and when none of them (ie, plugging OBi110 directly into the modem (which actually made things worse) then suggested I should contact OBiHai Support...

SteveInWA

Quote from: AlanB on May 03, 2014, 07:27:19 PM

Thanks, Alan; I didn't know that.  Sheesh, what a hassle these Obihai approved plans can be!

wilberfan

Well, for those of you keeping score, after spending all afternoon with Anveo Support--and determining that there was nothing wrong with my Anveo credentials (by the use of a softphone), after everything else failed...I ended up doing a factory reset on the OBi110, as well as a reprovision.

Dual-audio worked for the first time!  No open ports, no enabled DMZ--absolutely nothing fancy.  Just a working VOIP phone!

But now:  I'm desperate to get my mistakenly ported Google Voice number BACK to Google Voice.   Trying it from the Google Voice side, they're saying it's not possible?:

QuotePorting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
- We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers.

My Google Voice number (xxx-xxx-2212) got ported to Anveo (that was my mistake).   It's the number I've given to EVERYONE.  It's on my business cards...  I set up GV to ring my cell phone AND my home phone when it was called.   I could use GV to text from my computer.....etc.   Perfect.

Is there a way--now that XXX-XXX-2212 is registered with Anveo, to have my cell-phone ring (as well as my OBi phone) when someone calls that number?  Or (ideally) get that number BACK to Google Voice?

Is there anything Anveo can do internally to get that number back to Google...??

If not, I moved a year ago, and notified eleventy-hundred people of my new address....I suppose I could get a new google voice number (and new business cards...eeesh)...to get things hunky-dory again...   

Taoman

Quote from: wilberfan on May 07, 2014, 10:19:00 PM

Is there a way--now that XXX-XXX-2212 is registered with Anveo, to have my cell-phone ring (as well as my OBi phone) when someone calls that number?  Or (ideally) get that number BACK to Google Voice?

It is possible to have your cell phone ring as well as your Obi phone with Anveo. However, I don't know if it's possible with the "Obi" plans as they are pretty restricted. Someone who subscribes to Anveo should be able to tell you. And you may very well be charged for it as an outgoing call.....not sure about that.

As far as getting your number back to Google Voice, you would need to first port your number out of Anveo to a mobile carrier that Google Voice supports. You would then have to port your number from that intermediary cell phone carrier back to Google Voice.........an expensive and time consuming proposition but it can be done.