News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower report (from GV) and E911 question

Started by watgundam, May 03, 2014, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watgundam

Folks,

Been using GV on Obi200.  I just subscribed to the PhonePower via the Obi Approved Service Providers link.  I followed the process and put my GV# in the setup process.  Once is done, my phone is working right away. 

Here is what I did:
- In my NetGear router, checked the "Disable SIP ALG" box under Setup->WAN Setup
- Go to Obi configuration, removed SP1 (GV) setting
- Then go to PP (via OBi ASP) to set up
- When I make an outgoing call from my Obi, the receiver sees my GV# as caller ID
- In GV, I forwarded the GV# to my new PP#.  Also, verified that it works as expected.
- In PP Call Forwarding setting, I change the 24 seconds to 35 seconds before forwarding to Voice Call.  Also, verified that GV picks up my voice mail. 
- Verified that *67<GV#>, press * during greeting, and then follow the steps,  can access my GV Voice mail

So far, I am pretty happy w/ PP..  Very seamless.  I had Aveno for E911, but I removed it from my Obi SP2 slot since PP supports E911. 

Any folks know how to test out my E911 functionality w/ PP?  In Aveno, they have 933 test number.. 

Taoman

Quote from: watgundam on May 03, 2014, 05:18:36 PM
Any folks know how to test out my E911 functionality w/ PP?  In Aveno, they have 933 test number.. 

Since a properly performing 911 line is so important I have always felt the only true test is to make an actual 911 call. Plus I want to know what they actually see on their display screen. I call my local PSAP on a non-emergency number and tell them I have set up a new VoIP system and for safety reasons I need to test it out. I usually mention there are young children and/or elderly people in my household. We then set up an agreed upon time to make the test call. When making the actual call the first thing I say is that this is NOT an emergency call but a test call. When you say you want to test something for "safety reasons" you will usually get cooperation. I haven't been turned down yet.

giqcass

Have you tried dialing 933?  I don't know if they support it but that is the standard test number for 911 testing.  I have heard 1 report of a Vestalink user  successfully dialing 933 but having 911 fail.  I think that is an unusual case however.  It's the only case I know of with any service provider that was likely linked to a setup error.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikePA

Quote from: giqcass on May 03, 2014, 11:07:43 PM
Have you tried dialing 933?  I don't know if they support it but that is the standard test number for 911 testing.  I have heard 1 report of a Vestalink user  successfully dialing 933 but having 911 fail.  I think that is an unusual case however.  It's the only case I know of with any service provider that was likely linked to a setup error.

Dialing 933 is the proper method for testing 911, not annoying the real 911 staff.

Taoman

Quote from: MikePA on May 04, 2014, 01:22:11 AM

Dialing 933 is the proper method for testing 911, not annoying the real 911 staff.

Thanks for the news flash. Too bad PhonePower doesn't support 933. Any other brilliant ideas?