News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

connecting a central alarm system to Obi

Started by pfranks, June 27, 2012, 02:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfranks

I have an house alarm system connected to my landline.  I would like to get rid of the landline, and am wondering if there is any way to connect the alarm system to Obi (100) instead of its current connection to my landline
thanks

Stewart

It's not hard to hook up but IMO much less secure.  If you don't already have it, consider cellular backup for your security system.

See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25200984-Is-Voipo.com-compatible-with-a-Brinks-alarms-system

MurrayB

It is really good insurance to keep the cheapest offering of POTS for security systems and 911 and other emergency calls. You may have to be very persistent in receiving a line without any calling plan or whatever it is called in your area.

If your security system was properly installed the incoming POTS line should go to an RJ-31X jack that connects to your security system and your phone jacks. The RJ-31X jack allows the security system to hang up any phones that are off hook so an alarm can be transmitted to the monitoring station. Remove the connection to your phone jacks that go to the RJ-31X and replace that connection to the Line output of the Obi 110. The wires that you removed from the RJ-31X that connect to your phone jacks goes to the Phone connection on the Obi 110. This will maintain the integrity of your security system and all your phone jacks will be connected to the Obi. Be careful not to reverse the Line and the Phone connections or you will probably fry the Obi.

In regard to configuring your installation to have your alarm to be configured with your use of the Obi the following is very important:

If your security system was properly installed the incoming PSTN line should go to an RJ-31X jack that connects to your security system and your phone jacks. The RJ-31X jack allows the security system to seize the line and hang up any phones that are off hook so an alarm can be transmitted to the monitoring station. Remove the connection to your phone jacks that go to the RJ-31X and replace that connection to the Line output of the Obi 110. The wires that you removed from the RJ-31X that connect to your phone jacks goes to the Phone connection on the Obi 110. This will maintain the integrity of your security system and all your phone jacks will be connected to the Obi. This will also allow your security system, assuming it's backup battery is functioning, to continue to be operative and connected to the PSTN during a power failure. Be careful not to reverse the Line and the Phone connections or you will probably fry the Obi.

pfranks

thanks guys
that all sounds like good advice
its irksome though that att charges $16+ month in our area--- essentially just for this facility (+ 911)
going cellular adds alternative different costs + start-up costs
p

RFord

You could go with an IP base system with a dedicated PAP2T-NA ATA.  I have Alarm Relay which charge $8.95 per month, paid one-year in advance.  They now have the option of using their ARIM device (PAP2T-NA).  At the time we signup with them, we had an unused PAP2T-NA ATA lying around and they allow us to swap ours for one of theirs at no charge.  They charge $150 for their ARIM Device (which is only a PAP2T-NA with optimum secret configuration).  Would suggest a backup for the Modem, Router and ARIM device in case of power failure.

There was one individual on this forum that was connected to their Central Station use a Obi and Goggle Voice.  I'm not sure how reliable his setup was.  You could do a search and message him to see how it is going.  Cellular monitoring to me is more secure than even Land Line, since Land Line can be easily cut.  The monitoring cost is higher than basic Land Line monitoring cost and the Cell Unit averages around $200.00.

Rick

Monitoring via GV would not be a great option.  Further, it's possible that the central station cannot properly interpret the tones that would be sent over the GV line.  And it's likely they'd make you sign a waiver stating that they can't guarantee communication.

The Alarm Relay ARIM solution is a good one.  $8.95 is the first year.  For year 3 and beyond it's $10.45 a month, paid in advance.  It doesn't go up from there. 

AlanB

I signed up with NextAlarm about a month ago, so far so good on all my tests.