News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Proposed solution post-GV, please point out any errors ??

Started by vtsnaab, May 03, 2014, 08:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

I am about ready to pull the proverbial trigger on these changes and will greatly appreciate any pointers, please.

With my Obi 110 I plan to go ahead as follows:

SP1 - Future 5 for in and outbound usage as my main inward point of contact with a local DID.

SP2 - Callcentric with a free NY DID for inbound, if needed - and very little or zero outbound usage.

Circlenet for outbound usage as convenient, spoofed to look like my main inbound (new, F9) number.

Lastly, if there is a way it may be added somehow - Localphone as an additional outbound path for whenever it may be wanted or needed ??

As to GV=>
Given that I have an Android phone en route to me I will leave my GV stuff as-is and use it via Wifi on that as I gradually help others to know my new phone numbers.
As possible I will also use the mobile/GV/Wifi stuff when out and about if I need a mobile phone because getting any paid cellular services for me is not an option at this point in my life.

Corrections and/or suggestions, please ??

Thanks.

Taoman

Why not continue to use your existing GV number and just forward it to a new VoIP provider? Especially since SMS seems to be a concern of yours. Is one of your goals to get a different and new local DID number?

If you are going to use a free Callcentric DID why pay for inbound minutes at all from any VoIP provider?

If you are going to use CircleNet anyway why not use them for all of your outbound minutes? Why even bother with Localphone?

I'm certainly not saying your "solution" is a bad plan, I'm just curious what motivates your choices.

vtsnaab

Thanks for asking Taoman:
Quote from: Taoman on May 03, 2014, 09:15:38 PM
Why not continue to use your existing GV number and just forward it to a new VoIP provider?
Mainly because I feel it is time to move on and eventually stop using google as much as possible.

Yes:
QuoteEspecially since SMS seems to be a concern of yours.
Hence the ease of using the GV stuff via mobile for a while and at some point maybe F9 will offer SMS and then it'll all be on my new main number...

Indirectly, yes:
QuoteIs one of your goals to get a different and new local DID number?
As it is very nicely included with the Future 5 offering (quoting Nitzan here from his reply in my other thread)=>
QuoteYes- the Future 5 plan includes the number and setup, it pretty much includes everything except E911.
And I really do wish to cut loose from google services without porting that number away from there.

Because their free number is in an out of state area code, and...:
QuoteIf you are going to use a free Callcentric DID why pay for inbound minutes at all from any VoIP provider?
Some of my callers are actually still using landlines & paying LD charges !!
Also - it can double as my incoming Wifi mobile number at some point.

This may sound a bit silly, but...:
QuoteIf you are going to use CircleNet anyway why not use them for all of your outbound minutes? Why even bother with Localphone?
LP is very inexpensive - I prefer NOT to put all my eggs in one basket - and better still, they have given me a $2 credit - so really, what can be bad about adding another known, good provider ?!?

And now:
QuoteI'm certainly not saying your "solution" is a bad plan, I'm just curious what motivates your choices.

I hope I have replied well enough to your queries, and that perhaps someone may pitch in here with some of the info I am seeking too !!!

Thanks.

Taoman

Thanks for your replies as it helps me understand your needs better. Since you want to get away from Google it kind of negates any suggestions I might have. But just a couple points that you may already be aware of:

Most any VoIP provider you might choose (that includes incoming and outgoing calling) would supply you with a local number that would be included in the pricing plan so there is nothing special about F9's offering in that regard.

Many VoIP plans include E911 if that's important to you. But of course, many don't also.

When I mentioned Callcentric I was thinking of using it as a GV forwarding number so it would presumably not be a long distance number for your callers. But since you want to get away from GV........never mind. Another option would be to get a free IPComms DID. They do give you a local number.......assuming they have some available in your particular area. However, they don't include free incoming CNAM which is important for many people.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having multiple outgoing providers to choose from. Heck, I currently have 4 configured on my Obi. I didn't know if you were looking for the absolute cheapest route you could go or not.

Good luck!

vtsnaab

Thanks Again Taoman - that's a really good monkey-wrench you've just tossed into my works !!!
(And one I will surely look at carefully there right now, thanks !!)

I had not heard of these guys before:
http://www.ipcomms.net/freedid

QuoteFree SIP Account - No Purchase Necessary!

"IPComms' FreeDID service gives you the opportunity to experience our call quality, convenience and superior customer support first hand. We are confident that our subscribers will be 100% satisfied with our overall quality and service, and we are willing to give it away to prove just that". With IPComms' FreeDID you'll receive one U.S. local number from one of our over 5000 service locations along with 2 free ports - with no commitment & no credit cards!
Free SIP DID number! No purchase required.
What do you get?

* One US DID number
    * Includes 2 Lines (2 concurrent calls)
    * Unlimited inbound calls
    * Outbound US calling for $0.01 (no minimums)
    * 50 minutes of free outbound included
    * No monthly charges of any kind!

Of course the catch is asking for a FB thing, but=>
QuoteNo Facebook? No problem!: If you do not have a facebook account or do not want to use it, you can simply call +1.678.460.1475 and ask a member of our support team for a FreeDID. They will assist you in activating your account.
So I already called...and 1st time got a VR telling me I'd reached an unconfigured VM box, goodbye !! - then I called again and reached an answering service person who wanted my info...so I'll just call back tomorrow.

And:
QuoteIPCOMMS FREEDID TERMS AND RESTRICTIONS

• FreeDIDs are for individual use only. FreeDIDs may not be resold or redistributed in any way.
• Terms, conditions and restrictions are subject to change at any time.
• IPComms reserves the right to limit, discontinue or disconnect or cancel the FreeDID service at any time.
• FreeDID (Phone number) availability may be limited by location.
• Limit of 1 FreeDID per user. Registration of multiple FreeDID accounts by a single user is not permitted, and will result in immediate service cancellation.
• Phone numbers cannot be ported into FreeDID accounts.
• Limit of two concurrent calls per FreeDID account.
• FreeDID numbers cannot be ported away (LNP'd) from IPComms.
• To keep your FreeDID account active and avoid service disconnection, your number must receive at least one successful inbound call every three (3) months.
• If your Free DID/Free Phone Number is removed from your account due to misuse, abuse, non-use, cancellation, it may not be available for re-order.
• IPComms Terms of Service, Reasonable Use Policy and other restrictions apply.

Seeing all the above makes me wonder if it really is free for as long as one may wish - and if they spam you to death trying to get some $$$ out of you - and also where it says this=>
Quote• FreeDID numbers cannot be ported away (LNP'd) from IPComms.
Means that should one get done with them for any reason, it's time for a number change, like it or not.

Getting back to the rest of our exchange here - I see minimizing one's google exposure as a very good thing and used GV as long as I have because of financial hardships and NEEDING to have a phone.

I've really, really looked at ALOT of sites & their offers:
QuoteMost any VoIP provider you might choose (that includes incoming and outgoing calling) would supply you with a local number that would be included in the pricing plan so there is nothing special about F9's offering in that regard.
And found none better than the Future 5 offer - what do you compare as being better, may I ask ??

No, thanks:
QuoteMany VoIP plans include E911 if that's important to you.
It's not.

This is EXACTLY what I am hoping someone will teach me how to do on my Obi110, PLEASE ?!?:
QuoteAbsolutely nothing wrong with having multiple outgoing providers to choose from. Heck, I currently have 4 configured on my Obi.

I like cheap - and also reliable:
QuoteI didn't know if you were looking for the absolute cheapest route you could go or not.
So if you have pointers as to those, please share ???

Thanks.

Taoman

Again, in my view the wisest choice (for me) is to stick with Google Voice. IMHO, the only reason to get away from GV is if you are experiencing call quality/latency problems or have an issue with their voicemail limitations. Besides all their great features one of the greatest selling points is that you can easily add, test, and get rid of new service providers as needed. You stick with your GV number and just add VoIPs as forwarding numbers. If they don't work out then it just takes a minute to get rid of them. This is not so easily done if you have committed to or ported your number to a different ITSP.

And that was the context I was thinking of when I mentioned IPComms. I've had one of their free DIDs for awhile and there is absolutely no spamming of any kind. That is not their style. However, they offered free DIDs before and then (last April?) they suddenly stopped offering them and everyone who had a free DID lost their number. Apparently this was because of rampant abuse. So I certainly would never bet the farm on using a free IPComms DID. I would only recommend using one as a forwarding number in GV.

You see minimizing exposure to Google Voice as "a very good thing" and many people agree with you. I just don't happen to be one of them. I've had nothing but good luck with them. I may feel differently after Google Voice is rolled into Hangouts. Time will tell.

I am certainly not trying to dissuade you from Future9's offering especially if you don't require E911. They seem like a good company, have really good reviews, and Nitzan has been extremely helpful. I doubt you would be disappointed going with them. I just happened to go with PhonePower based on price, features, and tech support but that is purely a personal decision on my part. There are a lot of great VoISPs out there to choose from.

As far as using multiple outbound providers I'm afraid you'll have to do what I did. Search and read, search and read, and finally......search and read. For multiple outbound providers you will probably need to configure Voice Gateways. I would start with the following google search: "voice gateways site:obitalk.com"

Just one example of a cheap solution: use a free Callcentric DID on SP1 which gets you unlimited free incoming minutes and free incoming CNAM. Configure Localphone on SP2 for very cheap outgoing rates.
However, I know you want a local number and don't want to use GV so that rules out Callcentric. You could substitute IPComms for Callcentric but again, I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on them. This is a prime example of why I would stick with Google Voice. You stick with your GV number and if one of your free DIDs goes belly up....big deal. Just get yourself another one. It's all transparent to anyone who calls your GV number.

That's my 2 cents and that's how much it's worth. I know many people will disagree with me. But that's one of the advantages of using VoIP providers........there are so many options out there. You can tailor a solution to fit your individual needs. Good luck!

vtsnaab

Thanks Again Taoman.
I will be keeping both my GV numbers for the time being - but plan to divorce them from my Obi as I get new stuff going.
This is why I am getting a cheap Android phone (as mentioned in the OP).

As I see it, your replies have vaguely pointed to there being other really good options without specifically pointing to any which are exceedingly good or better than the choices I've already listed.

You've pointed towards CC & LP - and I've mentioned how I'd like to be using CC & LP in my OP.
As I see it, you and I are merely saying slightly different things about the same providers.

And this is positively frightful:
QuoteHowever, they offered free DIDs before and then (last April?) they suddenly stopped offering them and everyone who had a free DID lost their number.
Based upon that tidbit alone I would ONLY consider using IPComms via my planned, totally secondary Android-based platform and NEVER for my main number.
They claim to offer price matching, but make aspiring users jump through hoops for anything other than 'liking' them on FB, and their monthly offerings are nothing special pricewise, so, with them...:
It's either 100% free (but maybe subject to suddenly vanishing) - or too costly to be bothered with.
And to all that I say:
Meh.

As posted originally here - I invite help & corrections to what I propose in the OP - and would very much appreciate any real help in setting up more outbound paths besides SP1 & 2 on my existing Obi110.

Thanks.

nitzan

Keep in mind IPComms' free DIDs are essentially an advertising tool - they figure that by giving away free DIDs they can get facebook likes and some users may upgrade to a paid plan. Bottom line it doesn't matter as I'm sure the DID quality is good - but they have no monetary incentive to provide service long-term - which is probably why people have lost their DIDs before. For a free DID I'd choose someone like CallCentric over them.
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation
http://www.future-nine.com/

KAura

However, they offered free DIDs before and then (last April?) they suddenly stopped offering them and everyone who had a free DID lost their number.

There is also the additional requirement of calling at least
once every three months and spending a little money to
keep your free DID -- disaster waiting to happen...

I agree with nitzan that this is pure marketing, and not a
good example at that.

vtsnaab

Very sensible pointers, thank you.

Getting back to my OP - any errors, pointers or helpful suggestions, please ??

Repeating so as to assist...:
QuoteWith my Obi 110 I plan to go ahead as follows:

SP1 - Future 5 for in and outbound usage as my main inward point of contact with a local DID.

SP2 - Callcentric with a free NY DID for inbound, if needed - and very little or zero outbound usage.

These are the parts I remain a bit uncertain about setting up properly along with the above=>
QuoteCirclenet for outbound usage as convenient, spoofed to look like my main inbound (new, F9) number.

Lastly, if there is a way it may be added somehow - Localphone as an additional outbound path for whenever it may be wanted or needed ??

Thanks for any help !!!

SteveInWA

Quote from: KAura on May 05, 2014, 03:43:59 PM
However, they offered free DIDs before and then (last April?) they suddenly stopped offering them and everyone who had a free DID lost their number.

There is also the additional requirement of calling at least
once every three months and spending a little money to
keep your free DID -- disaster waiting to happen...

I agree with nitzan that this is pure marketing, and not a
good example at that.

This is a complete non-issue.  If you are going to get a free NY DID from Callcentric, just use it at least one time in three months.  Receive one call.  If you can't manage to do that, then you really have no need for the number.  Think about it.   You are tying up one of their numbers, for free.  Isn't it reasonable to actually use it once in a while?

Bottom line:  pick a service provider (or two) that meets your individual needs and use it/them.  There's no need to keep 3,4, or more SPs active over the long haul.  Make a decision.  It's not that hard.

SteveInWA

The Story of the Kid in the Candy Store

Once upon a time, there was a kid named vtsnaab.  He had a wealthy uncle, who gave him an unlimited supply of candy bars, in return for spending time looking at advertisements.  One day, his uncle told him that he had a terminal illness, and he had six months to live, and that vtsnaab had better find a new place to get candy.  Vtsnaab refused to accept that this was going to happen; after all, he loved getting all that free candy, even if he didn't really love his uncle.

He waited and waited, month after month, to see if it would really come to pass.  Finally, in the last few weeks before his uncle would die, he realized that he needed to find a new source.   He asked around, and got many opinions about candy stores.  Each person he asked told him about a new candy store, and he wanted to know everything there was about each one.  As it turned out, all the candy stores sold or even gave away some of the same candy, some of it fresher or tastier than the others, but overall, there was an abundance of candy available.  Vtsnaab just didn't know how to make a decision, so he kept asking everyone, every day, for more opinions, and he had more and more questions.  People grew tired of these endless questions, over and over and over, for something a simple as candy.  Soon, vtsnaab had asked so many people the same questions, so many times, and he got so many new answers, that he kept collecting more and more samples of candy.  All the sampling gave him a huge sugar high, but it didn't help him just make a decision.  In fact, it made him even more indecisive and confused.

On his uncle's last day, vtsnaab visited him at his deathbed.  His uncle asked, "I found out that you've been eating all my candy, and throwing the ads in the trash, instead of reading them.  So, you greedy, ungrateful  little SOB, where are you going to get your candy now, hunh?"  Vtsnaab sobbed, and said "Uncle, I am so sorry!  I never realized how lucky I was to have one kind and generous man who made decisions for me, and gave me what I needed, even when I didn't understand or appreciate it!  I love you!  Please, please, what should I do?"

His uncle strained to speak, looked him in the eyes, and said:  "Kid, go to my old buddy Melvin's candy store.  Tell him you were my nephew, and he'll take care of everything for you, because obviously, you are too stupid to think for yourself!  And, ya wanna know what did me in?  Diabetes, heart disease and kidney failure from eating too much candy.  Get outside and get some exercise for cryin' out loud!"  With that, he let out a faint gasp, and passed on.

vtsnaab

Oooh looky - I'm so excited !!!
More snarky, unhelpful, hyper-critical non-input from Stevein waah-waah-waah.
Gee, thanks. (NOT.)

Suggestion:
Either post something helpful, or find someone else to get snarky with - I have no use for your nasty rubbish.

vtsnaab

I have searched (but may not know what to search for) and remain uncertain of how one sets up AND makes use of - separate outbound only services aside of SP1 & 2 on an Obi110.

I would like all of my outbound calls to use CircleNet and to be able to choose Localphone every now and then instead.

The details of my other choices have been posted twice in this thread (BEFORE Mr. Steve-the-flamer had to dirty up the thread with his usual, useless trash...) and I will still very much appreciate for anyone to make HELPFUL suggestions or to show me any errors made in my desired choices.

Thank you.

PS:
On most other forums there is an 'ignore' feature which allows one to hide posts by trolls and such; this board needs that feature.
(As it is, I simply stop reading and then skip to whatever comes AFTER anything posted by this Steve creature-feature...)

SteveInWA

The Kid in the Candy Store, Chapter Two

Despondent over the loss of his benefactor uncle, vtsnaab realized that candy was going to kill him, too.  He settled on Snickers bars, given that they really satisfied, or so he was told.  But, rather than learn his lesson about making a decision and living with it, he turned his attention to his telephone service.  Again, he was confronted with so many options!  He kept asking for advice.  In fact, he was up to 60 posts on his favorite forum, spread all over the place, asking everyone who who would answer for advice.  There were so many smart, friendly, nerdy guys, who loved to share their knowledge, and thanks to a peculiar phenomenon, known as "Male Answer Syndrome", as long as he kept praising them, and asking more questions, he got more and more information.  Soon, he had read about SIP ITSPs, DIDs, dial plans, digit maps, voice gateways, PBXs, Raspberry Pie (mmmmm, good), sipsorcery, whatever the hell that was, and his head was throbbing.  Yet, he just couldn't stop asking more questions.  People tried to tell him what to do, but it just made him suspicious.  He wanted to stop, but he just couldn't. 

Wandering through town, he came upon a big, fat Siamese cat, chillin' with a game of Angry Birds, after a night out on the prowl.  He had read that Siamese are the smartest, friendliest, most people-oriented cats of all, and this one looked like he had no problem staying well fed, so he decided to ask him for advice.

"Hi Kitty", he said to the cat.  "Wassup, my man?  It's MISTER Bluescat to you", the Siamese said.  "Mister Bluescat, I need advice.  I'm trying to figure out what to do, now that Google Voice is abandoning me.  I've asked so, so many questions, and it just makes me feel like I need to find out more and more, before I make a decision.  One guy gave me $3.00 to try his service, so I felt obligated to use it all up--I mean, why throw free money away?  Another guy promised me the cheapest rates, but his service didn't work so well.  Another guy seems really friendly, and keeps bragging about his stuff, and trash-talking about his competitors, but his server is in friggin' Amsterdam, for chrissake, and I could buy the same stuff anywhere else, and, I mean, some of these guys are so nice, I think they might be pedophiles.  Another guy's service looked fantastic, but he wants me to pay with PayPal, and I hate PayPal, so screw him. And...  "SHUUUUUT UP!!! yeowled Bluescat, swiping him with a paw, and drawing some blood.  "Like my friend Cat-erina says...seriously, STFU!"

"Jeeeeez, you are such a wussy.  When's the last time you got laid?"  "Um, it's been a really long time", said vtsnaaab.  "I mean, I want to, but I spend too much time debating whether or not to ask the girl, and whether or not I bought the right condoms, or the right aftershave, and then she gets bored with me and she dumps me."  "Listen", said Bluescat.  "I get more tail than you'll ever get.  Why? People think cats have nine lives.  But really, we just have an amazing level of situational awareness... thass' right!  We assess the situation, then we make a decision based on our hardwired genetics and our life experiences, and, we...POUNCE!  Ah mean, we just GO for it, man!  No pussy-footin' around.  Lemme ask ya:  what beer do you drink?"  "Hunh?" said vtsnaab.  "Well, um, I drink whatever's cheapest.  I just want to get high.  You know, Old Milwaukee, Natural Lite, Rainier, that sort of stuff.  It isn't all that satisfying, and I have to drink a lot of it, but it gets the job done."  "GAAAAACK!!!" Bluescat spit up a hairball.  "Listen:  you spend all that money on beer that tastes like cat piss.  I should know; I have to lick myself every day.  Why not drink a little less, but enjoy it more?  You live in the craft brewing capitol of the United States!  Go to your local hangout and order a nice mug of Manny's Georgetown Ale.  Yeeeooow! Das some awesome shit! Then, pick up some Ninkasi Total Domination IPA, and some Fremont Summer Ale, and hey, maybe some Deschutes Black Butte Porter.  Man, now we're talkin'.  With the money you saved, instead of buying two cases of that cheap dishwater swill, you can afford to get yerself some decent SIP.  Quit messing around, trying to save a couple of bucks a month.  That's for losers, man.  Sign up for a free inbound NY DID from Callcentric, or hey, be a playah, and sign up for a local phone number.  Sign up for their North America 500 plan for outbound calling plus E911 for $6.95/month.  Or, go with voip.ms.  We're talkin' quality and reliability, with great customer support.  Your choice.  Hey, you got yerself a OBi, man.  Sign up for some cheap-ass outbound calling with Localphone, too.  You don't need more than that.  Done!  Quit strokin' yo' dick and get out there!"  Vtsnaab thanked Bluescat for his sage advice, promised to get his shit together, and strutted off, just like a cat with his tail held high.

nitzan

Troll alert, troll alert. Where is the ignore button?
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation
http://www.future-nine.com/

vtsnaab

When an ego is that over-inflated AND severely inflamed - their insensitivity is without any sane boundaries a'tall.

A real shame there's no ignore button, setting or attentive moderation here.
On most other boards trolls who flame others get banned pretty quickly no matter how swollen their egos might be.

tbebrieze

Lol. Steve, you made my day.. Loved your posts  :o, Honestly, everyone else needs to lighten up a little and realize this isn't that complicated or life threatening either.. It's a phone service, that's it. Not even a phone number that you give people. Between number spoofing and call forwarding, there is no downside to picking a provider. It's not like you're getting married, or picking your first born's name or something.

Think of it like dating.. Try a provider.. If it doesn't work out, try another. Even if you end up spending some money on a few first dates that don't work out, or your long term partner isn't your cheapest date, that's probably a good thing!  And remember all these options are still far cheaper than what 90% of the ROW (rest of the world) pays for the same service, so you're still ahead of the game.

vtsnaab

Hmmm...so the troll either made a new account to stroke his huge ego - or the newbie approves of verbally abusive sludge which uses bandwidth and answers ZERO questions.

I've posted & re-posted my query here, and have gotten no useful replies to it - just verbal abuse.

Here in Vermont when someone does that sort of garbage via phone we make use of a law called 'disturbing the peace via telephone' and the offender gets just one warning to stop before arrest.

Apparently this board is a hangout for a troll admiration group now ??

vtsnaab

I do not read your posts once you have very clearly shown that you are trolls.

My 'ignore button' function is to simply scroll past verbally abusive, unhelpful missives.

That action will now also be applied to any post by the newbie troll admirer as well.

Either post helpfully & on-topic, or find someone else to get snarky with - I have no use for your nasty rubbish.