News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please explain in simple terms=> e164.org and Sipbroker ??

Started by vtsnaab, May 04, 2014, 08:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

Gigcass posts with the following in his sig:
QuoteRegister at e164.org and friends can use Sipbroker to call you from a regular telephone for free from almost any country.
And as a result I've visited both sites and still cannot quite visualize how it can happen as described from caller dialing to called phone ringing.

Would someone please explain how to set such a route up so it may easily be made & used ??

Thanks for any help.

giqcass

Sipbroker is a collaboration between many sip providers.  They provide telephone numbers that users can call to reach SIP networks.  They offer these numbers all over the world but the dialing sequence can be a little tricky and some sip addresses aren't numbers so those addresses can't be dialed from a phone.  Each sip provider gets a virtual area code.  

For instance in the US you would dial 313 to call Detroit MI but on Sipbroker you dial *462 if you want to dial callcentric.com. *462    is Callcentrics Virtual area code.  1 777 000 0001 is a test number for Callcentric.  All Callcentric numbers get one of these 1 777 numbers but they are not real numbers that can be dialed from a regular phone.  This is where Sipbroker comes in.  For you to call a sip phone number from a regular phone you must dial a Sipbroker access number first.  Then you dial the virtual area code for the company that provides that Sip address. Finally you dial the half of the SIP address before the @ key followed by the # key.  Now lets break it down to call an actual number.
1) Find an access number that is a local call for you by clicking here.  I'll use 1-202-821-4740.  Write the access number down.

2) Find the Virtual area code of the provider you want to call by clicking here.  We are calling someone that uses Callcentric in this example so the Area Code is *462.  Write that down.

3) Find the user name half of the sip uri you want to call. 17770000001@in.callcentric.com.  Everything before the @ sign.  Write it down.

4) Dial the Access number from step1 followed by the Virtual area code in step 2 and finally the user name of the Sip address in part 3 and the # key.

Here is the final dialing string. Dial 1-202-821-4740  Wait for the prompt.  Now dial *462 1 777 000 0001#
This will be converted by the sipbroker system into 17770000001@in.callcentric.com and the call will be completed with VOIP.

What if the user name is not a number?  How can I dial it then?  Is there a shortcut to make the process simpler?
Yes!  e164.org makes it all much easier.

E164.org is nothing more then a directory.  Think of it as a phone book that lets sip devices find out how to call someone with a SIP address.  It uses a persons phone number that is easy to dial on a normal phone to find that sip address instead of using a name.  In order for them to do that you must first register your phone number and your SIP address.  When you register a phone number on E164.org Sipbroker and other systems that look up numbers on the e164.org system will know where to call you using SIP.

Here is the new dialing pattern after you register your number with e164.org.
Dial 1-202-821-4740  Wait for the prompt.  Now dial the real phone number of the person you wish to call.  Press # This will be converted by the sipbroker system into username@sipprovider.com and the call will be completed with VOIP.

Benefits of e164.org
If you have friends that want to call you for free you can give them a simple option of dialing an access number and then entering your real phone number.

If you get a new SIP address you can simply log in to e164.org and update it.  No need to give your friends a new number.  It's kind of like number portability for sip addresses.

Any sip address that has been linked to a real telephone number can be dialed without looking up a Virtual area code first or the sip user name.

For some reason I have found the Sipbroker system to be more reliable when calling e164.org registered numbers.  I have a near 100% success rate.  The only issues I have gad seemed to be congestion issues.  In those cases selecting a different access number will work.

Some SIP systems know to look at e164.org first.  That means when you dial a call they try to connect via sip for free before they try to complete the call using the normal PSTN network.  That saves money!

Let me know if I missed something or if there is still some part you can't follow.
Long live our new ObiLords!

vtsnaab

WOW !!!

Thank you very, very, VERY much for such a wonderfully helpful explanation and tool !!!!!

This is almost mind-blowing in how useful it can be for folks who pay LD on a landline or who need to make int'l calls.

My sincerest thanks for your efforts Gigcass.

giqcass

That is why it's in my signature line.  I believe a lot of people can benefit from these services and I think they are under utilized.  I have since switched my signature to link to an explanation instead of just linking to the sites.

Many sip providers also allow you to dial in to other sip providers directly using similar "Virtual area codes".

mo832

@giqcass,

Did you make a typo in your instructions? You use both *462 and *486 for Callcentric. I don't see anything at all listed for *486. I'm assuming it's a typo but I never want to act on an assumption when it comes to voip details, since one character out of place can disrupt an entire process...

drgeoff

I tried to add my number at e164.org 4 hours ago.  The SIP verification call came through almost immediately but still waiting for the PIN call which is supposed to come within 15 minutes ('30 minutes - something bad happened'.)

Googling brought up things like http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25693760-Other-is-e164.org-dead-.

Not encouraging :-(

vtsnaab

Pretty much what I'd noticed there too - and the last posting in that thread is 3 years old - whereas the 2nd posting says this:
QuoteLatest news" on their website is from 3 years ago (April 2008).
Many of their links are broken, such as to their support forum.
Their Wiki appears pretty empty....
Which makes the latest news there 6 years old by now !!!

Please post back if you are successful in getting it to work Drgeoff  ??

Thanks.

giqcass

They have done over 300,000 registration this year.  So that's about 60,000 per month.   They aren't very good about updating the website however.

vtsnaab

Wow - that's a great many Gigcass:
Quote from: giqcass on May 06, 2014, 01:28:56 PM
They have done over 300,000 registration this year.  So that's about 60,000 per month.   They aren't very good about updating the website however.
Looks like they need some very good volunteer help over there, yes ?!?

mo832

giqcass

Quote from: mo832 on May 06, 2014, 04:01:55 PM
giqcass,

Please see my reply #4.
Thanks for pointing it out.  You only had to tell me twice. lol! 
I have very bad eyesight so I make a lot of typos.  It's fixed now.

mo832

Quote from: drgeoff on May 06, 2014, 01:02:28 PM
I tried to add my number at e164.org 4 hours ago.  The SIP verification call came through almost immediately but still waiting for the PIN call which is supposed to come within 15 minutes ('30 minutes - something bad happened'.)

Googling brought up things like http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25693760-Other-is-e164.org-dead-.

Not encouraging :-(

drgeoff,

Did you ever get this set up, or is it still frozen?

drgeoff

Still 'queued for calling'.  Over 36 hours ago I used one of the three allowed reschedules.

Update:  So I tried adding another number but you cannot do that until pending one has been completed.  I signed up again with another email address and tried to add the second number to that.  Same almost instantaneous SIP probe but more than two hours later I still haven't had the verification call which is supposed to come within 15 minutes.

Various links in the wiki don't work.

Looks to me like part is running on autopilot and the rest is dead.

mo832

Yes, I know this thread is old.

Just looking for any updates. Does this service work anymore or has it been abandoned?

Has anyone (cough) DrGeoff (cough) had any luck registering lately?

Are there any alternatives?

drgeoff

Nothing has changed.  Both attempted registrations still show "Queued for calling". I'm not holding my breath.

lhm.

Perhaps this?  "Sorry, this number has been rescheduled for verification too many times. Contact support for assistance."

drgeoff

Quote from: lhm. on June 01, 2014, 08:11:55 PM
Perhaps this?  "Sorry, this number has been rescheduled for verification too many times. Contact support for assistance."
Not in my cases.  I rescheduled the first number one time and the second number not at all.

YASH

I still remain confused about what this sipbroker service is all about?
I wrote to them, their e-mail is bounced and no support help is received.

I am in USA and have a obi202 piece.

I have relatives in India, dubai, Mascat and UAE.

Now can someone explain me with simplest term, how do I set , so that I can dial them using SIP network for free?Thanks.

I alreday read this, but still no help.. I remain confused what exactly to do,...
http://obi.jr9.org/sipbroker