News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Service Change

Started by mnjeepmale, May 04, 2014, 09:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnjeepmale

My parents home line is on a Obi110 and using GV for the past few years. Need to switch their service before May 15th and I think I am going with the Vestalink $49/year which gives them 2,000 minutes a month.
Just want to hear a few suggestions and advice.

1. Is Vestalink a good choice for a lot of use?
2. Should I port the number to Vestalink or use forwarding in GV?
3. When I go with Vestalink, should I use the setup tool on Vestalink or manually enter the configuration?

giqcass

1) I am not a fan of Vestalink.
2) If they don't use the advanced Google Voice features then you can Port for better quality.
3)  I would do a manual installation but I am very comfortable with Manual set up.

Now for a few unsolicited answers.

For extra security in case there is a problem with Vestalink I would create a Trunk group that Consist of Vestalink and Localphone.  I would then set the Trunk Group up as the primary.  They will then have very cheap backup calling on Localphone.  That way if Vestalink goes down Localphone can take over for calling.  Paid credit does not expire as long as you do 1 paid call each year through Localphone.  That's why they are my goto backup company.

I would set up a second incoming route that you can use to call them for just in case moments.  If you also have an Obi just make sure you have their Obi number to dial them if Vestalink fails.  One reason to do a manual setup is so their Obi remains in the Obihai web portal.  Then you can fix things remotely if there is an issue.
Long live our new ObiLords!

KAura

Quote from: mnjeepmale on May 04, 2014, 09:20:41 PM

I would never port ANY number until I am certain that where I am
porting to is a company that I have a successful relationship with...

i.e., I am 'very' happy with their services and have been with them
for a while...  Do not port until you are a satisfied seasoned customer.

giqcass

KAura brings up a valid point.  In the past I have suggested people wait until the 30 day money back guarantee is over before they port to Vestalink. Porting cost additional time and money.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Taoman

Quote from: KAura on May 05, 2014, 04:44:46 PM
I would never port ANY number until I am certain that where I am
porting to is a company that I have a successful relationship with...

i.e., I am 'very' happy with their services and have been with them
for a while...  Do not port until you are a satisfied seasoned customer.

I wish more people understood and followed this advice. It would save a lot of headaches and $$$.

ceg3

Quote from: mnjeepmale on May 04, 2014, 09:20:41 PM
My parents home line is on a Obi110 and using GV for the past few years. Need to switch their service before May 15th and I think I am going with the Vestalink $49/year which gives them 2,000 minutes a month.
Just want to hear a few suggestions and advice.

1. Is Vestalink a good choice for a lot of use?
3. When I go with Vestalink, should I use the setup tool on Vestalink or manually enter the configuration?
I have been using Vestalink since January and am happy with them. I think the service will only get better as time rolls on. My perception of them seems to support that theory. I would, however, do as others are suggesting and hold off porting to any service until you know for yourself it's a good idea.