News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setting up localphone on obi

Started by robby, May 05, 2014, 06:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robby

This is all foreign to me, trying to set this up.
Signed up for localphone. I tried to set it up as sp2 on my obi and it is showing as "registered", so hopefully that's a good sign. I hope to forward my googlevoice calls over to localphone.
I am a bit confused about localphone. Do they not assign me a new number? I entered my googlevoice phone number where they had me enter what phone number to call from. Then they have you enter contact numbers of people you call and then they reassign a new number to each? I don't get it. What am I missing. I still haven't tested out using localphone as a primary, so yet to know if anything I really working.

drgeoff

1.  They do assign you a new number.

2.  Incoming calls to your Localphone account can only come in to that new number but you can put that new number in your GV forwarding list so that calls to your existing GV number will be forwarded to LocalPhone and thence to your OBi.

3.  When they asked you for the number to call from and you entered your GV number, your calls from your Obi via LocalPhone to your called parties will have your GV number as the CID.

robby

Thanks for the help.
Why don't I see my new number when looking at my account online?
I see an account number but no mention of  phone number assigned to me.
I do see a different phone number given to each contact I add. I have no idea what that is about.
The forwarding the GV number part I understand, and the spoofing GVs number from localphone I understand.

robby

Another problem now. Trying to make payment all day on localphone site and it wont complete. Have tried paypal and different credit cards. Its like their site isn't working properly. Anyone else experience the same? So now cant  test out the service because I cant make payment >:(

drgeoff

Apologies.  I was almost certainly not 100% correct about them assigning you a new number.  It looks like that is (/those are) extra.  From the localphone site that I see here in the UK:

"Incoming Numbers lets you rent a number that's local to your friends and family then forward it to your phone. It means that your loved ones can call you for the price of a local call."

As to those different numbers for each contact:
"For each contact you add, we give you a local rate number that will connect directly to them."
and
"Local Numbers allows you to connect straight through to your friends abroad using local landline numbers."

Can you see https://www.localphone.com/help which would answer these questions.

As to why you cannot make a payment, I found this on their site:

"If you are attempting to add credit to your account using Internet Explorer 11, we have been made aware that there is a compatibility issue for some people. We ask that you please use a different browser to add credit to your account if you experience this issue until it has been resolved. Thank you."

robby

Big thanks...I think im making some progress. Finally got payment to go through, after credit card declines etc. I believe after officially signing up for monthly subscription, hey have assigned me a number. Still playing with it......

drgeoff

Quote from: robby on May 05, 2014, 11:44:57 AMI believe after officially signing up for monthly subscription, hey have assigned me a number.
In the UK at least, a Localphone monthly subscription does not get you a free included incoming number.  If I wanted a UK number it would be 75p a month.  A US number would be 200p a month.  (1p is approx 1.5 US cent.)

giqcass

Enums are free but you need a US number to forward from Google Voice.  US numbers are $0.99 per month and there is a one time setup fee of $3.  I have not checked every US area code so some may differ in price. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

carl

Quote from: giqcass on May 05, 2014, 02:02:13 PM
Enums are free but you need a US number to forward from Google Voice.  US numbers are $0.99 per month and there is a one time setup fee of $3.  I have not checked every US area code so some may differ in price. 
All US area codes are the same- 99c /month
However, calls to AK, HI, territories and some other numbers are more expensive.