News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring Phonepower cloned line on Obi110

Started by flanda, May 05, 2014, 09:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanda

Does anyone know how to implement this configuration?

I just got rid of my landline and replaced it with Phonepower.  The issue I'm having is that I used to be able to bridge calls via the auto attendant and now I'm unable to get the auto attendant to dial the outbound call. I realize I moved from routing between two physical interfaces (line & sp1) to one (sp1), but I think I incorrectly assumed Phonepower would automatically handle the second outbound call from the Obi over sp1, as the "cloned line" came with the service.

Phonepower says that you need their adapter to enable their cloned line feature so you can connect two phones to the adapter, but that is not the application here. So it appears that I need a way to configure the "2nd line" on the Obi110 for auto attendant use.

Can this be resolved by modifying the auto attendant OutboundCallRoute or do I need to do something with SP2?

I hope this makes sense. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

giqcass

That makes sense to me. 
Otion 1 You could try setting SP1 as the Primary service provider for the Auto Attendant.  I expect that configuration to cause an error but I still recommend trying it.

Option 2 place you Phonepower credential on SP2 in addition to SP1.  Then Make SP2 the Primary Outbound for the Auto Attendant.  You will also want to make sure X_InboundCallRoute on SP2 is {} instead of {ph} so it doesn't try to ring.

I did something similar to what you are attempting on Vestalink and it worked.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

How do you plan to use this setup? A third option had occurred to me.  Route a free DID to SP2 and Make SP1 the primary outbound for the AA.  You of course could use the Obion app as well but the way you plan to use the system has a lot to do with how you will want to set it up.

flanda

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify: I want my trusted callers to be able to make calls through my Obi110. Back when I had the PSTN line, trusted callers would come inbound on the LINE interface, reach the auto attendant, and then dial outbound on the sp1 interface using GV. I made two changes: 1) got rid of the PSTN line and 2) replaced GV with PhonePower on sp1.  My goal is to maintain the functionality I had earlier with the PSTN/GV setup.

giqcass:
I had tried option 2 and I was able to reach the auto attendant as a trusted caller. However, when I try to dial another number the call drops.  Option 2 had occurred to me but I wasn't sure how to prevent inbound calls from routing to both sp1 AND sp2. Your X_InboundCallRoute configuration addresses this so I will definitely test it. The free DID is another good idea as trusted callers could call in on a completely separate number.

I haven't had very good success with the ObiOn app. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II but the app crashes constantly and calls can't make it past the auto attendant before dropping. It's 100% more reliable to come in as a trusted caller and dial out via the auto attendant. Also, my other trusted callers can't use the app so I would still need to figure out my bridging problem.

Thank you very much!

flanda

Thank you giqcass! Option 2 worked!!

I replicated the PhonePower configuration on sp2 (resync'd with Phonepower), made sp1 the primary line, made sp1 the primary line for the auto attendant as well and changed its X_InboundCallRoute to {}. I also prepended speed dials with **2 to route via Msp2 instead of modyfing the OutboundCallRoute and voilá! Works perfect.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

mj56gt

My current setting has SP1 with GV. When I sign up with PhonePower, should I replace SP1 with PhonePower, or can I keep SP1 for GV while setting SP2 with PhonePower? Is SP1 primary by default?

giqcass

Quote from: mj56gt on May 06, 2014, 02:01:27 PM
My current setting has SP1 with GV. When I sign up with PhonePower, should I replace SP1 with PhonePower, or can I keep SP1 for GV while setting SP2 with PhonePower? Is SP1 primary by default?

Considering how close we are to the end of XMPP support I see no reason to keep GV in slot 1.  You may as well replace it.  SP1 is primary by default.

mj56gt

Quote from: giqcass on May 06, 2014, 02:21:06 PM
Quote from: mj56gt on May 06, 2014, 02:01:27 PM

Considering how close we are to the end of XMPP support I see no reason to keep GV in slot 1.  You may as well replace it.  SP1 is primary by default.

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. I really appreciate it!

With the incoming calls I want people to dial my GV#, so during which step in the signup guide (http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_Lite) should I tell PhonePower to forward the call?

With the outgoing calls I want people to see my GV# as my caller ID, so during which step in http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_Lite should I set up the spoofing?

giqcass

Quote from: mj56gt on May 06, 2014, 02:35:47 PM
With the incoming calls I want people to dial my GV#, so during which step in the signup guide (http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_Lite) should I tell PhonePower to forward the call?

With the outgoing calls I want people to see my GV# as my caller ID, so during which step in http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_Lite should I set up the spoofing?
Phonepower has nothing to do with forwarding the call.  Google Voice forwards the call.  You will have to set that up in the Google Voice website after you sign up for Phonepower.

I have not used Phonepower personally but here is someone else commenting setting up spoofing.

Quote from: BHochstrasser on March 23, 2014, 06:58:22 AM
When I signed up for PhonePower, it asked if I wanted to display my PhonePower number or my Google Voice number.  If you do it during setup it's no problem.  If you do it later (let's say over Live Chat), they'll give you some grief and may not want to do it for you.

flanda

Yes, you can specify call forwarding in the GV Settings->Phones.

Regarding PhonePower, during the sign up process there is a place where they ask you what caller ID number you want them to send out when you make calls.  If you don't specify or want to change it later you need to contact PhonePower support. I had to anyway because I was porting my local number. You can only change the Caller ID Name (CNAM) in My Account->Service Settings after logging in to the PhonePower website.

Taoman

Quote from: flanda on May 06, 2014, 05:04:55 PM
If you don't specify or want to change it later you need to contact PhonePower support. I had to anyway because I was porting my local number. You can only change the Caller ID Name (CNAM) in My Account->Service Settings after logging in to the PhonePower website.

Wait. What? Are you saying you signed up for an "Obi" plan, did not enter a phone number to be spoofed during signup, and then later contacted PP tech support and added your GV phone number as an outgoing spoofed CID?? And that worked?

flanda

Taoman:
No, I should have been clearer. I did enter a number but not my GV number.

I signed up with PhonePower via the ObiTalk portal and I was asked to choose a number. Then during the process I was asked what number I wanted to use as my outbound CID.  My goal was not only to replace GV with PhonePower but to port my PSTN number as well. It wasn't obvious to me that entering my PSTN number as the outbound CID would mean it would get ported over -and it wouldn't have as it turned out. I entered the PhonePower number I had just chosen as only logical choice for me -not my GV number or local number. If I wasn't porting I could have entered my GV number here to have it spoofed and be done -so it seemed.  I correct myself in that it may have been a required field and I had to pick something to move the process forward. I cannot remember 100% now.

To port my local PSTN number (not my GV number) I had to send PhonePower an email formally requesting the number to be ported -which also changed the CID and replaced the original PhonePower number I had chosen during the sign up process. Based on all this I assumed, maybe incorrectly that PhonePower can just as easily change your outbound CID to your GV number after the fact (i.e. not just during the sign up process).

Apologies if this caused unnecessary confusion.

Taoman

Quote from: flanda on May 06, 2014, 10:19:29 PM

Based on all this I assumed, maybe incorrectly that PhonePower can just as easily change your outbound CID to your GV number after the fact (i.e. not just during the sign up process).

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I'm fairly certain you assumed incorrectly. I have so far not heard of a single person who successfully changed their outbound CID to their GV number after the fact. Hence my keen interest in your post.
PhonePower is either unwilling or unable to make that change after initial signup thru the Obihai portal.

Porting a number to PhonePower is an entirely different matter.

flanda

I contacted PhonePower tech support about this.  The proper way to do this is to enter your GV number when they prompt you for your desired CID during sign up. If nothing is entered then PhonePower uses the PhonePower assigned number.

The tech said they usually do not change CIDs after sign up and while you cannot change it yourself after the fact, as we already know, they CAN make the change for you, just not through the Obihai portal.  He called it an "exception" mostly because they expect people to specify it during sign up and they seldom get such requests afterwards, but I think they are being particularly flexible given all the new ObiTalk customers migrating from GV to PhonePower. They are indeed quite busy. While the process is outside the Obihai portal it's very easy to do via their online support chat when you are already a customer.

Hope that helps.

Heather

I thought it might be helpful to report that I had no trouble changing my cloned ID after setup. I decided I wanted a different GV number than the one I had originally setup, and I called and they were happy to help. There is no way to do it from OBITALK or phonepower, though. You need to actually call in.

flabber

Quote from: flanda on May 06, 2014, 08:59:37 AM

I replicated the PhonePower configuration on sp2 (resync'd with Phonepower), made sp1 the primary line, made sp1 the primary line for the auto attendant as well and changed its X_InboundCallRoute to {}. I also prepended speed dials with **2 to route via Msp2 instead of modyfing the OutboundCallRoute and voilá! Works perfect.

Would it be possible to be a bit more specific about the steps involved in the above procedure? I have the same issue as the one flanda originally reported, and tried the above, but without success. I may not be doing things right...

What does replicating "PhonePower configuration on sp2" mean? I set both SP1 and SP2 to PhonePower at the OBi Dashboard, and resynced. After a while, they both show as "registered". Then I went to my Obi's webpage to modify 2 things: first the X_InboundCallRoute to {}, and then the AA to use SP2 as the primary line (I think flanda meant SP2 and not SP1). I submitted the changes and rebooted. The changes remain as I set them for a short period of time, but then revert to whatever the parameters were set to prior to my changes. How can I make them permanent? Do I need to have SIP credentials enabled from PhonePower to make the changes permanent? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Thank you

SK02

Flanda,

To make this happen, do we need to have second line service from Phonepower? Because for Obi customers, Phonepower does not include Free Second Line.

Thanks,
Suresh

Quote from: flanda on May 06, 2014, 08:59:37 AM
Thank you giqcass! Option 2 worked!!

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.