News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Mobile VOIP

Started by tbebrieze, May 06, 2014, 07:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbebrieze

While everyone on this board seems to be obsessed with how to obtain the cheapest GV alternative on their obihai devices (probably fair given it's an Obi board) and regurgitates the same questions and answers all the time, I thought I would bring something new to the conversation.

My journey took a different path and I discovered VOIP on mobile. Using mobile SIP clients (Acrobits Softphone/Groundwire or Bria) and some of the same voip providers, localphone, CC, voip.ms etc. I can have GV forward to both my cell phone and obihai, allowing me to answer calls where ever I am - the true promise of GV. I can also spoof my outbound number with my cell phone number (or GV) allowing me to save on cell phone minutes,  without the called party being any wiser.

I ended up learning a lot along the way - pro's and cons of the different mobile SIP apps, G.729 codec and the applicability of various codecs, TCP vs UDP and all the trade off's with battery life etc. It's been quite fascinating.

vtsnaab

GOOD PEOPLE, BE WARNED:
Quote from: tbebrieze on May 06, 2014, 07:19:05 PM
While everyone on this board seems to be obsessed with how to obtain the cheapest GV alternative on their obihai devices (probably fair given it's an Obi board) and regurgitates the same questions and answers all the time
It writes JUST like another user here and has already openly stated it's admiration for said user so it's either another nasty troll or a 2nd account by the same nasty troll.