News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower additional fees

Started by Orple, May 12, 2014, 06:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orple

I know, I'm down to the wire but I must carefully research before committing to outgoing cash needed for living expenses. I was ready to go with phone power before reading reviews. The complaint read most often involves their hidden fees, not disclosed before hand unless you read the terms of service, and then not fully clear. I see that the offer shown when signing up through obi says no hidden fees, all taxes included. So, is $34.99 really the complete price for 1 year Obi Lite plan? The terms of service say otherwise, plus there is a whopping $99 early cancellation fee if one is not happy with the service. Even if this is the actual price this year, what will it be when this expires. Also, while I was researching legitimate surcharges and taxes I found out that they may not charge the  Federal USF Recovery Fee to those that are in the lifeline program. How do they determine who they can charge this fee to? From their terms of service...

QuoteIn addition to regular fees set forth in the Pricing Schedule, you agree to pay all other charges, including but not limited to network usage, applicable taxes, fees and surcharges, including charges imposed against PhonePower.com by third party providers that it passes on to you. The taxes and surcharges may vary on a monthly basis and may change at any time without notice; any variations will be reflected in your monthly charge. The current Regulatory Recovery Fee is one dollar and 98 cents ($1.98) for all clients. E911 Recovery Fee is ninety-nine cents ($0.99) for all clients in the US. PhonePower.com collects a Federal, State and Local Services (FSLS) Recovery fee for most voice services. This fee is a percentage of billable service, and covers a variety of taxes, surcharges and fees billed by federal, regional and local agencies. The current rate is 11.64%, and is subject to change without notice.

I'm starting to think I might be better off just using google voice on my computer rather than using the obi device at all.  ???

Taoman

What you are reading is for their retail residential plans. The special "Obi" plans are all inclusive. Two of the requirements to become an Obihai "Approved Service Provider" are that the plan had to be "all inclusive" regarding taxes and fees and the plan had to renew at the same price point.

OBi Lite
$34.99/year
No hidden fees. Includes all taxes.
$2.92/month - Billed Annually

OBi Unlimited
$59.99/year
No hidden fees. Includes all taxes.
$5/month - Billed Annually

Orple

Oh, ok. I didn't realize they had to renew at the same rate. Thank you, Taoman. Unless they state their usual terms of service don't apply though, the $99 cancellation fee would still apply.

Taoman

Quote from: Orple on May 12, 2014, 08:00:26 AM
Oh, ok. I didn't realize they had to renew at the same rate. Thank you, Taoman. Unless they state their usual terms of service don't apply though, the $99 cancellation fee would still apply.

Do you honestly believe they could charge you a cancellation fee that would be more than the price of the entire yearly plan? All it is saying is that if you cancel after 30 days you don't get a refund.

QuoteAny Contract Subscriber who wishes to change or cancel their service plan during their Contract Term will be assessed a Contract Termination Fee of $99 or the remainder of your contract amount, whichever is less.

Orple

I'm sorry. I misspoke. They will charge up to or no more than $99 after 30 days. Of course the amount forfeited will depend on the contract signed up for. That goes without saying.  Thanks again.