News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Power for obi with USA phone number in located in Europe

Started by Haswell1150, May 08, 2014, 08:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haswell1150

I configured an Obi with a USA phone number using Google Voice.  Then I mailed it over to family in Europe.  That way I would just dial a USA number and have the device ring physical over in Europe.  Thus, I never had to pay international call rates, and this worked great for years.  Now with Google ending support for the Obi next Thursday, I need to find a solution to replace this setup.

So does Phone Power do IP address region restriction?

KAura

giqcass

As KAura said getting an Obi for yourself would allow free Obi to Obi calls.  That said I find it unlikely phonepower has anything in place to stop you from using it's services in the fashion you desire.  If you are still concerned about it then you should direct your question to phonepower directly.  You could also just try the Phonepower service since I believe there is a 30 day money back offer.   Good luck.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Shale

If your call volume is lower, you might want to consider a regular account with Phone Power or another provider rather than the OBi package that bundles 911 service. With Anveo, a European address on a US phone number would save the $0.80 monthly 911 fee. I suspect it is similar for other providers. If you don't need the package, there are other popular providers to consider too.

On the other hand, the package deal might be worth it for your calling pattern, despite paying for 911 that you don't need.

TonyTib

If it's just you calling your family, Obi->Obi seems best.

If you want to allow others to call them, too, then two options without E911 fee are LocalPhone DID ($0.99/month), GV-->LocalPhone DID or GV forwarding to a free CallCentric DID.  For calling out, you could add an outgoing service such as LocalPhone, CircleNet, etc.