News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Steps to migrate from GV to PhonePower

Started by C6silver, May 09, 2014, 12:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C6silver

I procrastinated as long as I dared with migrating from GV to a different service.  With the 15th around the corner though I wanted to make sure to give myself a bit of time in case of problems.  I picked PhonePower based primarily on price and I found them quick to answer questions some weeks ago when I was looking and wanted to verify some GV expectations.  I migrated this morning and found the process pretty painless.  I thought I would share steps below in case others have questions or problems.

First, I did not transfer my GV number to them but rather used the approach to forward my GV number.  When I checked a few weeks ago PhonePower had a pretty hefty charge for migrating a phone number and I didn't think it worth it.  As a note, it appears Anveo might be doing this for free, but their plans are also higher cost so take all this into account as you make your decision.  Last note here is that PhonePower does not transcribe VM messages.  Granted, Google's transcription was pretty awful but it was nice to get the gist of a call (most of the time).  I had Vonage prior to GV and do miss their substantially better transcription.  That said and this is a convenience item for me and not critical as of course you can listen to VM via the attached audio in email.

1/ Click on the Approved Service Providers'" link from the OBITalk webpage
2/ click on "Learn More" from the Phone Power marketing block
3/ Click on your Device and Service Provider Slot also ensuring the appropriate phone slots are checked
4/ Click on "Sign-Up at PhonePower.com"
5/ Choose your plan and click "Order Now"
6/ They will lead you through a 5-step process which is very straight forward.  Note you will select a NEW phone number of which you will later forward your GV number to.  They will also allow you to "spoof" your number so that outbound calls you make will show up with your GV number versus the new one they will provide you.
7/After you are sign-up and have the new phone number, head back to the ObiTalk page
8/ On the page where you initially clicked "Learn More" in Step 2 look further down for the heading "OBiTalk Compatible Service Providers" and click on the "Next" button.
9/ Choose "PhonePower" from the "Configure Service Provider Accounts" list
10/ The questions here are pretty self-explanatory.  Do make sure to click on "Voicemail Notification" if you want the stuffer tone that will cause your home phone to flash the message light.  You will need to enter your PhonePower VOIP Number NOT your GV number.  This is the number PhonePower gave you when you registered above.  You will also need to enter your PhonePower username and password (Not OBI username/password)
11/ From back on the dashboard expect it to take some minutes before status moves to "Registered" next to your new SP1 OBI PhonePower device.  
12/ Now head over to GoogleVoice and click on the settings gear icon on the left of the screen within your GV account
13/ The first tab labeled "Phones" will have a link to "Add Another Phone".  Fill in the PhonePower phone number.  With this saved make sure that there is a check box next to the PhonePower number which Google will forward calls to.
14/ Google will need to verify this number.  They will provide you with a code and ask you to press a button which will then have them ring your PhonePower number.  Your phone should ring and you will then enter the code Google gives you.  With this verified (which is instant) all calls to your GV number will now go to your new PhonePower number.  
15/ At this point you should verify that the phone and numbers are working.  Call your old GV number and it should ring your new home phone.  Call from the home phone to say your cell and it should show your GV number not your new PhonePower number.  In other words everything should work as it did prior.
16/ Next step is to configure your VM.  You will be using PhonePower's system and by default it has a robo message which speaks the new phone number they gave you to callers.  You don't want this of course.  Your first instinct from the PhonePower site will be to configure VM from the VoiceMail tab.  Actually what you want is to pick up your phone and dial *21 and enter 1111 as your pin (which they will then have you change). From there setup your greeting as you want.
17/ Now head to the VoiceMail setup area where you can enter email addresses you want VM to send the audio attachment to.  
18/ The last key item which is not apparent is the "Failsafe" number.  This is the number that will be called if your VOIP equipment has an issue or you lose power, etc.  You can find this on the "My Account" page next to the orange colored "Phone Number".  Click the button below this to change the number to a different one (likely a cell phone) so that you are covered in case of VOIP issues.

Hope this helps.

Additional Update: I have found that many times GV pickes up my VM before PP does.  At first blush this doesn't appear to be a big issue since it forwards it to email and offers the audio recording.  Additionally it does rudimentary transcription where PP does not.  However, what is lost is the stutter tone that causes the message light on your home phone to blink.  So be aware that you may lose this for some or all calls.  Also be aware that this does happen so that you don't remove your contact details from the Google Voice account and thus miss your VM's!  After searching there is no way to disable GV VM as it will pick up after 25 seconds.  So if 25 seconds comes before PP starts its VM, your VM will be picked up by GV.  I found no setting in GV to lengthen that time nor PP to shorten its time.

Update #2: Another user on this forum let me know that you can control the time it takes for PP to pick up VM.  You do this via the "Call Forwarding" feature on the PP site (NOT GV).  It seems to default to 24 seconds but I would presume that there is delay between when GV gets the call and forwards it to PP.  So this value will have to be less.  It will take some experimentation to see how low you need to set this value and whether that is too low for you to pick up the call prior if desired. 

obeeonecanoebee

Thanks for the effort of providing all this detail. But, I'm trying it today, and I'm stuck at step 3.

I can't find a link for "your Device and Service Provider Slot"

It appears to be a dead-end page. Am I missing something?

cluckercreek

Try a different browser when something is "missing". Sometimes it can be that simple.

C6silver

Quote from: obeeonecanoebee on May 12, 2014, 11:16:46 AM
Thanks for the effort of providing all this detail. But, I'm trying it today, and I'm stuck at step 3.

I can't find a link for "your Device and Service Provider Slot"

It appears to be a dead-end page. Am I missing something?

I have attached a screen shot of what you should be seeing.

JohnnyP

Great post - thanks. I signed up for phonepower and selected SP2 for my phonepower usage (it suggested using that one on phonepower site since SP1 is used for google voice). I don't even know what an SP is to be honest....

....anyway I made it through your tutorial to step 11 then go an unexpected result. It appears both SP2 and SP3 are somehow associated with phonepower. I am not sure why since I only selected SP2 on the phonepower site. Can someone interpret this screenshot and suggest what I need to do to proceed?

Thank you

Shale

What I think I would do is to click the gear from OBiTalk. Then I would delete SP3 setup.

Wait to see if anybody sees a downside to that.

C6silver

Quote from: JohnnyP on May 12, 2014, 11:54:32 AM
Great post - thanks. I signed up for phonepower and selected SP2 for my phonepower usage (it suggested using that one on phonepower site since SP1 is used for google voice). I don't even know what an SP is to be honest....

....anyway I made it through your tutorial to step 11 then go an unexpected result. It appears both SP2 and SP3 are somehow associated with phonepower. I am not sure why since I only selected SP2 on the phonepower site. Can someone interpret this screenshot and suggest what I need to do to proceed?

Thank you

I agree that you should delete SP3 (I deleted my old E911 as Google didn't offer that). However, SP1 should be where you put PhonePower.  You are replacing GV, from a device point of view, with PhonePower.  Not saying using SP2 is an issue but I don't think you need the unnecessary confusion with GV.  This does not prevent you from forwarding GV calls to PP.  Attached is a screenshot of what you should see.

obeeonecanoebee

Thanks Silver. I discovered that if I start at ObiTalk (www.obitalk.com) I do not get the screen that lets me buy.

But if I start at www.obihai.com, and follow the links from there to obi talk, I DO get the screen.

Now ain't that strange?

I was able to get set up, and thanks in large part to your step-by-step. Phone Power has sent me no instructions at all, so... double thanks.

JS

C6silver

Quote from: obeeonecanoebee on May 13, 2014, 06:52:09 AM
Thanks Silver. I discovered that if I start at ObiTalk (www.obitalk.com) I do not get the screen that lets me buy.

But if I start at www.obihai.com, and follow the links from there to obi talk, I DO get the screen.

Now ain't that strange?

I was able to get set up, and thanks in large part to your step-by-step. Phone Power has sent me no instructions at all, so... double thanks.

JS

When you went to Obitalk.com did you login?  One thing I can think of, at least in the way I went through the process, was that I logged into the site and was at the dashboard screen. 

Glad my steps were helpful to you! 

steveg944

I just signed up for Phone Power and your post really helped. Thank you for the steps to make it work properly.

pvpham

Thanks for your help. I signed up with PhonePower today. This make the sign-up process going quite well

C6silver

An additional note to add.  I found the GV sometimes still picks up my VM.  These calls are getting to my phone so I know they are being routed correctly to PhonePower, but still GV has picked up the VM (that does not happen all the time).  A benefit here, providing GV can continue VM post the 15th is that using their VM gives you transcription which again is not available from PP.  Granted as mentioned in my original post, GV's transcription is laughably bad, but it can still be better than nothing.  Just a thought in case VM does continue with GV and you are interested in transcription.  I am also assuming that one or the other VM can be fully disabled to prevent this random pick-up.

xeir

Went through the install and followed along with the only difference being at Step 16, pin was assigned to something different but changed it via the website.

Something to note:
I setup 2 accounts recently as follows:
2 houses each with Satellite internet and each with an OBi202.  Both previously used GV without problem.

The 1st: Sat modem -> Router (DD-WRT) -> OBi202, and all went smoothly.
The 2nd: Sat modem -> OBi202 -> directly to 1 PC, and had issues ranging from 'Register failed:403' to being Registered but incoming calls went straight to VM when picked up.

Putting a 10/100 switch between the Sat modem and OBi202 seems to have solved the issue.  Wouldn't think so, but it did.

Time will tell, but thought I'd pass it along.

Almost forgot, apparently you can perform the install by following different routes on the website/obitalk and depending on which way you do it I would end up with either 'Obi PhonePower' or "PhonePower Account' as well.  Not sure what that's about, but I ended up with a different one on each OBi.

Long as it works, I'm happy!

Taoman

Quote from: xeir on May 13, 2014, 09:43:59 PM

Almost forgot, apparently you can perform the install by following different routes on the website/obitalk and depending on which way you do it I would end up with either 'Obi PhonePower' or "PhonePower Account' as well.  Not sure what that's about, but I ended up with a different one on each OBi.

Interesting. What were you charged for the "PhonePower Account?"

rocketben

Can PhonePower be setup up to still use GV voicemail?

C6silver

Quote from: rocketben on May 15, 2014, 04:37:17 AM
Can PhonePower be setup up to still use GV voicemail?

I addressed this a bit a few posts above this one.  However, I think to make this work you will need to contact PP and ask them disable your VM.  I am assuming that Google will continue VM past today of course.  With the PP VM disabled, GV will pick up your VM.  There is no way I could find to disable VM via the website so again you'll need to contact them. 

rv20

Hey c6Silver, Thanks a lot for the step by step. In particular steps 8-10 helped me get my outgoing calls to go out via the new PhonePower connection. It wasn't obvious - since I had already followed the instructions I had got from PhonePower support, and it doesn't talk about this step. Thanks again!
PhonePower support gave me this, which helped as well - i.e. you delete and read after purchasing the PhonePower plan: http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_plans

StormChaser

Why oh why did I not find this detailed post sooner. Could write "War and Peace" on what I have been through.

Between browsing forums and help from Taoman many problems have been solved.

Perhaps you could help with this one. I am finally getting incoming calls after 2+ weeks. I have my GV number forwarded to my new Phone Power number using an OBi100. When I answer an incoming call I get a recording announcing the caller and telling me I need to press 1 to take the call. Is there a way to answer incoming calls directly or will I always have to go through a recording first.

Pearls of wisdom welcome. Thanks.

C6silver

Quote from: StormChaser on May 24, 2014, 03:31:38 PM
Why oh why did I not find this detailed post sooner. Could write "War and Peace" on what I have been through.

Perhaps you could help with this one. I am finally getting incoming calls after 2+ weeks. I have my GV number forwarded to my new Phone Power number using an OBi100. When I answer an incoming call I get a recording announcing the caller and telling me I need to press 1 to take the call. Is there a way to answer incoming calls directly or will I always have to go through a recording first.

I have never had to press anything to answer an incoming call (I certainly would have called that out in my OP).  I have looked at the various settings for PP and don't see anything that would control that.  Does this happen for all callers?   I am wondering if perhaps either anonymous callers or even a do not disturb (I haven't tried either) works in the way you describe. 

Out of curiosity what issues were you having for 2-weeks? Maybe there are other things still going on as no way it should have been that problematic. 

C6silver

Quote from: StormChaser on May 24, 2014, 03:31:38 PM

Actually I may have found your issue.  I was just over in Google Voice and there is a feature there called "Call Screening".  This appears to work as you are describing.  Within GV click on "Settings" and then "Calls".  At the very top you will see "Call Screening".  Make sure it's set to "Off".