News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Power My Opinion

Started by rodan, May 10, 2014, 09:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodan

Ok, I'm an Obi-100 GV user, and now made the transition from GV to Phone Power.

Looking over the choices of voip's , I felt this was the best choice for me. I'm not techie, just a lay person needing phone service, although, being a member at this forum, wouldn't have any problem following the instructions to tweak any VOIP to my needs. Lot's of good help in here.

I went with the $ 59.99 per year Unlimited Plan rather than the $ 34.99. To me, it's worth paying the extra $ 25.00 so I can call out unlimited ( actually 5,000 minutes per month ). If you know you can keep your outbound calls to under 300 minutes per month, the $ 34.99 plan would work for you.

This is really a great deal.  Regular PP customers pay just a bit over three times this for this plan per year. Us Obi customers are getting a great price.

I really liked the GV phone service with the Obi-100.  Worked great for me.

From what I've experienced so far, ( called a few people, and, after talking with them a while, asked how I sounded over the phone, and if they noticed any delay ) every one said I sounded clearer, hardly any delay, compared to before.  I noticed their voices were clearer, too. 

I now have  " Caller ID/ Caller Name" . Hadn't had that feature since the old phone company land line days, didn't realize how much I missed it.

I now have e911, didn't have that with GV. ( not a really big deal since I have it on cell phone, but, nice to know I can now dial it from my home phone now )

I now have phone tech support.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but, if you wanted GV tech support, you couldn't call them. Only forum and email, I think.

For those with broadband wireless internet service, I live in a rural area ( this is what I have, and my download speed is approx. 2 mbps and upload is 250 kbps)  This worked great with Obi/GV and now with Obi/PP

I used the " approved Obi providers " link to switch from GV to PP, and would recommend that if you are a lay person like me.

I chose to keep GV voicemail, and not use PP voicemail.  I had my GV phone number forwarded to my phones in the GV Settings menu. ( Chose NOT to port, It's not necessary)

I was concerned about this, didn't want to lose my GV phone number, however, just having it forwarded to Phone Power ( and still to my cell ), in the GV Settings menu,  works fine.

My Obi-100  Dashboard now shows:

SP1  Obi-Phone Power

SP2 Not Configured

Status - green dot - Registered

Summary:  There are many good VOIP's to chose from that would work with your Obi, I picked one and am happy with it.  Phone Power has a thirty day cancellation period if you sign up and are not happy with the service. 

Will PP keep the price at $ 59.99 per year for the Unlimited Plan for the Obi user?  From what I've read at their site and spoke with a PP sales rep, they plan on it, at least for two years.  Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can reply on this.  The way I look at it, IF they do go up to triple the price, or something out of range, I can always switch to another VOIP.

Though happy with how PP works so far, I'm going to keep checking here at Obi forum, to see if there is some tweaking that can be done to PP, to make itwork even better with my Obi.

Thumbs up to PP, and, many thanks to the OBi forum members that posted their feedback and opinions on the many VOIP choices we have.

jlynnwatts

I have also been quite pleased with the call quality and features of Phone Power.
I signed up for my first line on April 4. My second line was connected early in May.

After a few minor problems, everything seems to be working well. It works for us. (at least so far)

JWatts

Orple

Thanks for the info. I've been debating between phonepower and localphone, also plan to just forward GV. Could you tell me how likely it is I would get a DID number that is local to my town in Michigan? I didn't see anyway to check at either website and I'm concerned no one would be able to call me without it being long distance if my local GV number is forwarded to a number not local.

kaborka

Quote from: Orple on May 11, 2014, 11:19:31 AM
I'm concerned no one would be able to call me without it being long distance if my local GV number is forwarded to a number not local.
IIRC, when GV forwards a call, GV originates a new call and links it with the caller's. The caller does not pay for the forwarding -- GV eats the cost.  Many folks use the free DID numbers from Callcentric, which have a NY area code.

Orple

jimq51

Quote from: Orple on May 11, 2014, 11:19:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been debating between phonepower and localphone, also plan to just forward GV. Could you tell me how likely it is I would get a DID number that is local to my town in Michigan? I didn't see anyway to check at either website and I'm concerned no one would be able to call me without it being long distance if my local GV number is forwarded to a number not local.
I found if you start the signup process thru Obi you get to a part where you get a option where they assign or you can chose your number after putting in your zip code. I checked my area and then closed stopped the registration. I have a vacation home in a small town in Va and they had at least 20 local numbers to choose from.

rodan

Something I just notice, and, I plan on calling PP about it:

When I dial a phone number, dialing all ten digits, it dials in quick to the person I'm calling.
When I just dial the seven digits for a local number, it takes over ten seconds to ring. I don't like that
Maybe there is a tweak to handle that?

Shale

Before doing that, I suggest that in OBiTalk for that SP (SP1, SP2 etc), that you enter an area code into the "7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN" box. Then click Submit.

soundview

I initially chose Phone Power too but they don't have phone book caller ID name override on their Obi plans (Aquarius network) >:(.  Since I get a lot of mobile calls with generic IDs, I ended up going elsewhere. As long as you don't need that feature, PP is a fine choice.

rodan

Quote from: Shale on May 12, 2014, 10:24:55 AM
Before doing that, I suggest that in OBiTalk for that SP (SP1, SP2 etc), that you enter an area code into the "7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN" box. Then click Submit.

Thanks for the tip. That fixed the problem. No delay now, when I dial a seven digit number.

rodan

Quote from: soundview on May 12, 2014, 02:46:59 PM
I initially chose Phone Power too but they don't have phone book caller ID name override on their Obi plans (Aquarius network) >:(.  Since I get a lot of mobile calls with generic IDs, I ended up going elsewhere. As long as you don't need that feature, PP is a fine choice.

That would have been a nice feature to have. Wonder if it's in GV? Probably not.

Taoman

Quote from: rodan on May 13, 2014, 06:32:56 AM

That would have been a nice feature to have. Wonder if it's in GV? Probably not.

Doesn't your Obi connected phone have a phonebook in it?  I had never even noticed that PP doesn't override CID with it's phonebook entries because the phonebook in my phone does that.

rodan

Quote from: Taoman on May 13, 2014, 06:39:21 AM
Quote from: rodan on May 13, 2014, 06:32:56 AM

Doesn't your Obi connected phone have a phonebook in it?  I had never even noticed that PP doesn't override CID with it's phonebook entries because the phonebook in my phone does that.

I don't think my telephone has that feature. ( don't have the manual to it anymore to check)

I did, just now, check the Obi 100 settings and the GV settings to see if I could enable that feature, couldn't find anything, though. And, PP does not seem to have it, either.

soundview

QuoteI don't think my telephone has that feature. ( don't have the manual to it anymore to check)
My phone doesn't have that ability and I wonder how easy it is to import and maintain a contact list on a phone rather than in the cloud. I imagine that a phone with both that feature and a good user interface would cost some $$.

QuoteI did, just now, check the Obi 100 settings and the GV settings to see if I could enable that feature, couldn't find anything, though. And, PP does not seem to have it, either.
PP does not provide contact name override for Obi plans or anyone else on their Aquarius network. A shame since this feature is available from most of the other alternatives mentioned on this forum.

Shale

Quote from: soundview on May 13, 2014, 07:45:25 AM
QuoteI don't think my telephone has that feature. ( don't have the manual to it anymore to check)
My phone doesn't have that ability and I wonder how easy it is to import and maintain a contact list on a phone rather than in the cloud. I imagine that a phone with both that feature and a good user interface would cost some $$.
My Panasonic  cordless phones have had that. Some speak the caller's name.

Taoman

Quote from: soundview on May 13, 2014, 07:45:25 AM

I have a cheap Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone and it has it. However, I don't have a lot of entries to manage. I take your point that if you have dozens (or even hundreds) of contacts it wouldn't be practical to try and manually enter them all into your phone's phonebook.

Harvey

I have used PhonePower for about one month now and I strongly recommend their service.  One benefit is that they have good customer service.

Some of you may want to opt for a plan other than the basic $34.99/year plan because the more expensive plan would offer more than the 300 outgoing minutes that the basic plan offers, but I went with the $34.99 plan and have found that it is easy to avoid using many outgoing minutes following my normal calling procedures that I have used previously, with Google Voice.

Note that you will have unlimited incoming minutes even with a basic (lite) PhonePower plan. Screenshot is at http://i.imgur.com/ykabHxu.png and even though your plan limits you to 300 outgoing minutes, the overage is computed at a low rate of 1 cent per minute. Screenshot is at http://i.imgur.com/oeR7DNv.png

At least now I can limit my outgoing minutes in two ways:

1. Make calls directly through Google Hangouts on my computer using a headset with mic connected to my computer or a Bluetooth headset with mic.  This is convenient as I make the vast majority of my outgoing calls when I am sitting at my computer (for home business), or

2.  Start the call on my computer by going to Google Voice/Call and choosing, under "Phone to call with" the choice PhonePower and click "Remember my choice"
Screenshot is at http://i.imgur.com/mSBo7Im.png
That way Google calls your phone that is connected to your Ohihai. You pick up your phone and then Google Voice, which is transitioning to Google Hangouts, connects to the call you wanted to make (in my screenshot example to 8888922253).  PhonePower calculates that as an incoming call, not as an outgoing call.  Again, even with the basic PhonePower plan, you have unlimited incoming minutes.