News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Power problem: No incoming calls

Started by kikikikopa, May 11, 2014, 10:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikikikopa

I started with PP earlier this week and already logged about 4 hours total with tech support.  A lot of calls do not get through and PP identified it as being an OBI problem with the SIP handshake.  I don't really know much about that but I do know that PP will not work if ALL of my incoming calls can't get through.  Has anybody else experienced similar problems?  The problem is intermittent and I am forwarding the number from GV.  The PP tech said he doesn't think it's a PP problem and identified my Obi100 as the likely culprit.  That may be the case but I've had no problems at all with calls coming through for the nine months that I had that service. 

BlueOcean

Have been reading where a few others have had various issues with their new PP account and got it resolved by contacting Obi directly to tweak their settings to better work with PhonePower. Some have also reported that once there GV number was ported to PP the intermittent problems ceased. Also, It might be worth it to at least open a service ticket with Obi to see what they can do.

I am also planning to move a couple of friends GV accounts over to PhonePower this week and appreciate you providing this information.

kikikikopa

I've got a trouble ticket started with Obi and will post the results as soon as they get around to it.

rodan

Quote from: kikikikopa on May 11, 2014, 10:20:11 AM
I started with PP earlier this week and already logged about 4 hours total with tech support.  A lot of calls do not get through and PP identified it as being an OBI problem with the SIP handshake.  I don't really know much about that but I do know that PP will not work if ALL of my incoming calls can't get through.  Has anybody else experienced similar problems?  The problem is intermittent and I am forwarding the number from GV.  The PP tech said he doesn't think it's a PP problem and identified my Obi100 as the likely culprit.  That may be the case but I've had no problems at all with calls coming through for the nine months that I had that service. 

I, too, switched to PP, and have my GV phone number forwarded, ( instead of ported ) to my new PP number.  After doing so, I did not receive phone calls, when  they dialed either phone number, it went directly to GV voicemail, in my case. My problem was not intermittent, though.

PP tech had me set up the following, and, it fixed my problem of not receiving calls, I now receive them, whether the person dials either GV or PP phone number.

In the "Call Forwarding " menu of phone power, my settings are:

When someone calls (xxx)xxx-xxxx: ( your new PP phone number )
(selected)Ring (xxx)xxx-xxxx  ( also your new PP phone number )
(not selected)Forward All Calls To
(not selected)Use The Rules Below

?
You have no rules at this time.

These are my settings in the Call Forwarding menu of my PP account. I would have thought my GV phone number should be in the " When someone calls " field, but, it's not.

Maybe someone else who uses PP with GV phone number forwarded could share what they have in here, too.

Taoman

Quote from: rodan on May 13, 2014, 06:46:10 AM

These are my settings in the Call Forwarding menu of my PP account. I would have thought my GV phone number should be in the " When someone calls " field, but, it's not.

Maybe someone else who uses PP with GV phone number forwarded could share what they have in here, too.

What do you want to have happen? I have "Use the Rules Below" selected. And my rule is to send any call to voicemail after 55 seconds. This way GV voicemail always picks up before PP voicemail ever gets a chance. I never want a voicemail to be left at PhonePower.

rodan

Quote from: Taoman on May 13, 2014, 07:13:27 AM
Quote from: rodan on May 13, 2014, 06:46:10 AM

What do you want to have happen? I have "Use the Rules Below" selected. And my rule is to send any call to voicemail after 55 seconds. This way GV voicemail always picks up before PP voicemail ever gets a chance. I never want a voicemail to be left at PhonePower.

I have to check on that. As far as I know, my GV voicemail ( which I want to take the call, if I don't answer ) takes the call. I don't think it reaches PP Voicemail, even though I made no entries  " use the rules below "

It seems like my incoming calls are working properly, for me.

kealolo

For a couple months now, since signing up, we've had outgoing calls fine, but incoming calls only making it through roughly 10-30% of the time. Just dead air for people calling us unless they know to keep calling until it rings.

Originally phonepower told us we were the only ones with this problem. Maybe we were the first to report it. We have an obi100.  They seemingly have been doing all sorts of tests.

But the upshot is that this afternoon my wife still had to dial home 5 times to get through.

Phonepower seems to now know how to run a VOIP company... that is, they seem to have no clue why it's not working, or what to do. A few of their tech folks have been in touch and been nice, and have seen on their equipment that the calls don't go through. It's apparently not our router or anything else.... it's a phonepower thing.

And it's gettin' pretty old.

DJ

collins

Just a note to all those thinking about PhonePower.  I have been a PP customer now since GV dropped XMPP and at first I was very happy with them.  Did not port my number, had them remove voicemail from my account so I could still use GV's transcription service.  It worked well initially, but incoming calls are a big issue.  This has been an ongoing issue now for 4 days and looking back at the PP support forums apparently this occurs about once a month.

They claim it is only affecting a limited number of customers, but the forums reveal it is a huge problem.

The only thing PP offers is, "Engineers are working to resolve the problem".  If you look back at their twitter feeds or check the forums you will see this occurs about once a month.

They are obviously not setup to handle the amount of "new" customers they have received as a result of GV discontinuing XMPP support.  They either need to upgrade their hardware/bandwidth or get off the pot.

Numerous residential and business customers are being affected due to this issue.

Porting your GV or other number to PP does not resolve this particular issue.  I think OBIHAI needs to find a more reliable provider and drop PP from their accepted service providers unless PP can get its act together.

Just my two cents, but phone service, residential or business, needs to be reliable, especially when we are shelling out the kind of money they are charging. 

The lack of details surrounding this problem are concerning, as this further leads me to believe this is either a hardware/bandwidth issue with no sight for a complete resolution.

drgeoff

Quote from: collins on July 13, 2014, 07:23:16 AM
I have been a PP customer now since GV dropped XMPP ...
Ho-hum. GV have not (yet) dropped XMPP.

Taoman

Quote from: collins on July 13, 2014, 07:23:16 AM
They claim it is only affecting a limited number of customers, but the forums reveal it is a huge problem.

Just an idea until PhonePower can fix the problem. Assuming you haven't ported your number from GV yet, get yourself a free Callcentric DID (or IPKall or IPComms) and forward your GV number to that. Then configure your Obi to use Callcentric for incoming and only use PhonePower for outgoing.

I've been doing this for months and it works great although I'm not doing it because of any audio issues experienced with PhonePower. I do it for the CNAM override that Callcentric supports with their phonebook.
PhonePower does not support this functionality.......at least on the Aquarius network.

DigDug

I signed up with PP two weeks ago and ported my phone over shortly after. This past week I've been affected by an audio issue whereby noone on the line could hear the other (bi-directional). I am also convinced that some incoming calls were not making it through. A look to twitter revealed several people complaining about this as well over the past couple months.

The surprising thing, to me, was not the outage necessarily, but how uncommunicative PP was regarding it. Each morning PP would tweet that a "small" percentage of their users were suffering "one-way" audio issues. I think they were inaccurate on both counts. And apart from these once-a-day tweets, there was nothing - no response to customer tweets, no assurances of any specific efforts at resolution.

I'm glad this happened when it did, since I am within my 30-day period.