News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower-Obi110-Multiple Accounts

Started by GH-UpNorth, May 11, 2014, 10:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GH-UpNorth

Hello -

I own two Obi-110 devices which I have used with two different Google Voice/Chat accounts until recently.  On May 2, 2014, I established an unlimited $59.95/yr account with PhonePower through my Obi Dashboard, and have now switched one of the Obi-110 to use PhonePower ( forwarded from one of my Google Voice numbers ).  That one is working well for me.

I have a vacation home in Michigan's Upper Peninsula ( 906 area code ), about 300 miles from my primary home,  which I only occupy from Mid May through Mid November, and that is where my second Obi-110 device is.  My plan is to set up another, separate, unlimited account with PhonePower for that location, but we won't be up there until about May 19 -- after Google discontinues XMPP support.  Also, the electric and internet service is currently shut off there, and won't be turned on until after May 19, and it will be turned off again about November 19.

I'm wondering if I can just wait until we get up there to set up the second PhonePower account, and go into my second Google account to uncheck "Chat" and point it to the new PhonePower number... OR ... should I set up the new PhonePower account before May 15 and uncheck "Chat" in Google before we go up there.  The power is off up there, so I can't operate that second Obi device until after May 19.  I don't know if PhonePower's $ 59.95 unlimited deal is going away for new subscribers after May 15... also, I don't want to somehow lose my Google Voice second account because I haven't unchecked "Chat".

Another possibility is that I could uncheck "Chat" in my second Google Voice account and temporarily point it to my cell phone until I get up to the other house.  And a final possibility is that I could save the money by taking my primary home Obi110 up north with me and using it there...  I'm not sure that would work with PhonePower, and besides, I'd like to keep service in both places in case my kids/grandkids go up there, or visit my home while I'm up there -- it would be nice for them to have the phone service.

Note that I have different internet providers in the two places.  I would appreciate any thoughts and advice you can provide. 

Taoman

Quote from: GH-UpNorth on May 11, 2014, 10:34:18 AM

I don't know if PhonePower's $ 59.95 unlimited deal is going away for new subscribers after May 15... also, I don't want to somehow lose my Google Voice second account because I haven't unchecked "Chat."

A PhonePower representative has stated on DSLreports that there is no guarantee the current "Obi" prices will continue after May 15th. The PP Obi plans are significantly discounted compared to their regular retail residential plans. If I were you I would jump on it while you have the chance at the current price point. PP also states on their web site the Obi plans will renew at the current price point.

Maintaining your Google Voice account(s) is not contingent upon whether you have Chat checked or unchecked.

12rock

Could you use SIP2 on your home OBI110 to set up Phone Power for your vacation GV number, then port that account over to your vacation OBI110 once you get there?