News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

After may 15, use Callcentric for free

Started by truelies, May 11, 2014, 02:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truelies

Sign up for a free Callcentric DID & then configure 1 of the slots in your OBI to this Callcentric DID. Then have your GV number forward to your Callcentric DID. For outgoing calls just use GV's web interface to place the call & have it ring your Callcentric DID. Once you pick up the phone it will then ring your calling party & the caller ID will show your GV # to your calling party just like it currently does.

I don't get this. If I setup Callcentric Did free, can I receive calls to my GV number? Can I make calls using GV number?

gderf

Why don't you just set it up and try it?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

vtsnaab

I have done this part myself:
Quote from: truelies on May 11, 2014, 02:06:35 PM
Sign up for a free Callcentric DID & then configure 1 of the slots in your OBI to this Callcentric DID. Then have your GV number forward to your Callcentric DID.

And it is now SP2 on my Obi110.
It does work and calls come in OK, but sound quality has tended to decrease during calls as time passes.
(Posted about it here=> http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7963.msg51929#msg51929)

This I have yet to test myself:
QuoteFor outgoing calls just use GV's web interface to place the call & have it ring your Callcentric DID. Once you pick up the phone it will then ring your calling party & the caller ID will show your GV # to your calling party just like it currently does.
(But also asked about it here=> http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7973.msg51981#msg51981)

I don't presently plan to port or forward my GV numbers as there are very good options which do not depend upon the Big G...

Best Wishes !!

truelies

Set it up. It's very good to call and receive call for free.

cluckercreek

I took the advice of the Sages here and ordered a free DID from CC. I set up their version of softphone on my laptop and it is working fine with GV. I think it's smart to have a backup in place for my Obi 110 in case it fails.

GnatGoSplat

If I understand this method correctly, you have to get on the web to initiate an outgoing call?
Sounds rather cumbersome.

zorlac

Quote from: GnatGoSplat on May 14, 2014, 08:47:57 AM
If I understand this method correctly, you have to get on the web to initiate an outgoing call?
Yeah, this is one of those cases where free's not easy.  ;)

FormerYooper

Here's what I did on my Obi100:

SP1 is still configured to GV for outgoing calls until it no longer works on May 15th.  Will check though to be certain it is no longer functioning.

SP2 is configured to Callcentric.  Got a Free NY DID & configured for incoming calls only.  Added my Callcentric # to Google Voice as a forwarding number.  I refuse to port out my Google Voice number!  I have had this set up for weeks now & it works marvelously.

In the meantime, in preparation for the May 15th cutoff of XMPP, I have installed a desktop phone icon that links directly to my Google Voice dashboard.  When I want to make an outoing call, I simply click on the icon, am directed to my GV dashboard, click the "Call" button & select the person I want to call & select the phone I want the callback to come to.  Very easy ... and doesn't seem cumbersome to me at all.  Guess the extra steps just don't bother me.

In addition, I have installed the Android App "Talkatone" onto my tablet.  The app has been configured to address the demise of XMPP and is free.  Talkatone gave me a phone number in my own area code.  I simply added that phone number to my Google Voice dashboard as a "forwarding" number.  I receive calls from people who dial my GV number on my tablet for free.  To make a free phone call with the Talkatone app, I simply go into my browser on my tablet, log into my GV console & do the same Callback method as I do on my desktop.  I just tell GV to callback my Talkatone number & it calls my tablet and then completes the call to the person I want to contact.

I understand GrooveIP is releasing a newly configured app in the next couple of days that could be used as well on your android devices. 

All very easy .... very workable .... and free!

zorlac

"When I want to make an outoing call, I simply click on the icon, am directed to my GV dashboard, click the "Call" button & select the person I want to call & select the phone I want the callback to come to.  Very easy ... and doesn't seem cumbersome to me at all.  Guess the extra steps just don't bother me."

Sounds good, but sometimes I just want to pick up the phone & dial a # like I have for the last 48yrs or so. (I figure my first experiment with a neighbors rotary phone was at about 5  ;D)

But yeah, if I'm sitting at the laptop GV point & shoot works fine & saves me some coin.  ;)

wpbear

I use this setup and use this app on my android to initiate a call to my obi so I don't have to use the cumbersome website.
Google Voice Callback 0.10.2.apk
http://www.4shared.com/android/RLY2hkCx/Google_Voice_Callback_0102.html?locale=en

zorlac

Quote from: wpbear on May 17, 2014, 08:45:44 AM
I use this setup and use this app on my android to initiate a call to my obi so I don't have to use the cumbersome website.
Google Voice Callback 0.10.2.apk
http://www.4shared.com/android/RLY2hkCx/Google_Voice_Callback_0102.html?locale=en
So now I need internet access & a cell phone plan so that I can have free calling.  ;D

wpbear

No, you could use the app on wifi since you have internet anyway.

vtsnaab

I have an Android phone which works quite well via Sipdroid & Wifi, BUT:

The CC app was a complete failure (regardless of the fact that my CC account is working fine otherwise).

I also tried using CC on the Android via other softphones and it failed with those as well.
(Localphone & their app were also complete failures on Android via Wifi.)

Of course this is just what happened for me & using my phone & YMMV.

zorlac

Quote from: wpbear on May 22, 2014, 09:48:42 AM
No, you could use the app on wifi since you have internet anyway.
So I buy an Android without a cell plan so I can use the "app"?
OK, I guess if you already have an Android it's cool.
I'm a TracFone flipdumbphone kinda guy.  ;)
But when I find that shuggadaddy that kicks in the $100/mo for the plan, I'm in.  ;D

vtsnaab

Quote from: zorlac on May 22, 2014, 06:20:34 PM
So I buy an Android without a cell plan so I can use the "app"?
This is EXACTLY what I tried with the CC app - but it did not work at all for me.

I did find what DOES work via Wifi though and I have posted about it.

unoriginal

For those trying to get CallCentric free incoming to work with Android:

In my experience CC's SIP service does not like working with smartphones; requires too-frequent registration. What has worked for me is pointing CC's free DID at another SIP provider, such as getonsip.com, and registering the smartphone to that SIP account.

I.e. incoming is GV -> CC DID -> Getonsip.com SIP -> Smartphone

This is with a 2.3 Gingerbread phone (OG Motorola Droid) I bought off eBay two years ago for $40. Paired with one of the GV callback apps (see wpbear's post; I use Voice+) to initiate outgoing calls, this is not an expensive home phone option.

Again, just to clarify, this is an off-contract, non-activated phone. It works with SIP over WiFi. Any Android phone >=2.3 has SIP built in. You don't need CC's or anyone's app, and you don't need a cell phone plan. Just a cheap secondhand phone.