News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 fax detection

Started by mrjoli021, May 12, 2014, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrjoli021

Hello,

I would like to configure the obi202 that when a call comes in it will detect if it is a fax or phone call and transfer phones calls to port1 and faxes to port2.  Would this be possible?  If so how can I go about doing this?

drgeoff

I believe that is not possible, but as I've never wanted to do it myself I've never done any research into it and could be mistaken.  Anyone else?

reltub

The device admin guide on p. 161 mentions a fax-event codec that may do what you want to do, if it is enabled. By default, this codec is disabled.

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

dudly

You could always get one of the free phone numbers from Callcentric and then convert it to a Fax to email line with a few clicks of the mouse.  E911 from Callcentric would be $1.50/month.

I have been using one of my Callcentric free numbers for the Fax to Eamil service, and knock on wood, it has worked excellently.

Ostracus

I'll attach here.

Internet FAX. Note that means everything from T.37 all the way to a fax gateway. Some high end multifunctions hide all the messy details, while giving the same ease of use the old machines did.

azrobert

You could setup a GoogleVoice account for fax machine.
I haven't received a fax for awhile, but in the past GV using XMPP has been rock solid for my fax.

The only problem is nobody knows how long GoogleVoice will support XMPP.

SteveInWA

I use a free Callcentric DID as a fax mailbox, like Dudly.  It's much better than messing with a fax machine -- it always works, it doesn't need manual intervention for all those endless failed fax retries, it emails you the fax as a file, and so on.  For outbound, just scan the document and email it, or use a free or cheap internet fax service.