News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

set codec to G.729a

Started by DavidTW, May 14, 2014, 01:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidTW

How do you set your obi device to use G.729a?

I see all the codecs in the codec profile, however the enable boxes are all checked, but greyed out.  So I am not sure how to specify which one to use.

Shale

I have not played with this myself, but here are some statements -- one or more might be useful to you.

I don't know if your OBi supports G.729a, but might just do G.729.

Your SIP provider must support the codec you want to use. Not all support that, because it costs the provider money to let you do so. It might only be supported on premium options.

In the admin guide search for *4729 and use that for testing. It lets you request/insist on G.729 for the next call. Let us know what you learn.

In the local web server for your OBi, the Status->Call Status  will tell you what codec is in use.

In the codec profiles, the Priority tells the OBi what your preference is. I don't know if 1 is higher than 4 for this purpose, but I suspect it is. That is still just a request to the server. To insure that your favorite codec is used, even if the call fails otherwise, I think you could disable the other codecs.

DavidTW

My sip provider says it supports G729a.

QuotePhone Power allows you to specify one of two codecs to use for your calls. The high bandwidth (and thus higher sound quality) codec is G711u. The low bandwidth (and thus lower sound quality) codec is G729a.

I am not familiar with the admin guide?  where do I go to search *4729

It says 1 is the highest when I hover over the ? next to priority, however I can't change the value on any of them.  the only thing I can really change is Device Default and OBiTALK Settings

Shale

Quote from: DavidTW on May 14, 2014, 02:36:47 PM
My sip provider says it supports G729a.

I am not familiar with the admin guide?  where do I go to search *4729

It says 1 is the highest when I hover over the ? next to priority, however I can't change the value on any of them.  the only thing I can really change is Device Default and OBiTALK Settings

See http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide for the HTML version and http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf for the PDF.  It has flaws, but it has a lot of essential information for you.

You have to un-tick 1 or more check marks to change defaults. If using OBiTalk Expert mode, that is 2 check marks in sequence. Click Submit after you make changes on a page. Take care with making changes.

DavidTW

I am not sure what I am un-ticking... I can change from OBiTALK to device, but I am not sure what the means.... are you saying I change two from OBiTALK to device, and which two?

Shale

Quote from: DavidTW on May 14, 2014, 03:18:49 PM
I am not sure what I am un-ticking... I can change from OBiTALK to device, but I am not sure what the means.... are you saying I change two from OBiTALK to device, and which two?

You want to change a field that is grayed out in OBITalk Expert mode. Untick the one box under "OBiTALK Settings" . Then untick the box in the Device Default column. That box in the Device Default column was empty gray until you clicked the first box.

DavidTW

so when I set the priorities,  it still uses G711u.  But when I use the *4729 or disable g711u, it shows
Audio Codec      tx=; rx=

It will ring the other phone, but when it answers it gives a rejected by the service provider for reason 200.

Shale

Who is your SIP provider?

DavidTW

Crow550

Quote from: DavidTW on May 14, 2014, 09:56:39 PM
Phone Power

I would like to know how to set this too.

I know you set it in the Phone Power site's settings for Codec and reboot the Obi box but it doesn't seem to switch.

Same rejected message when using the codec star code when calling out to test....

Crow550

I *may* have fixed it.

I went in the Codec A profile linked to SP1 and disabled the other enabled codecs except G.279 and set it to priority 1. Then rebooted the box.

Seems to work with calls in and out but at first when I called in it would hang up. So testing further to see if this issue is really gone and it's working correctly.

Crow550

It seems to work most of the time?

However sometimes when calling out it will give that error?

Crow550

I was told that the error is normal when G.729a tries to talk to phones that use G.711u and was told to stick with G.711u.

That G.729a is more for overseas and won't save that much.

From Phone Power support.