News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Switching to PhonePower was the easiest thing I ever did in voip

Started by PCDoctor, May 15, 2014, 08:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCDoctor

I switched off google voice an onto phonepowers $59.99 a year unlimited plan. They or obihai automatically replaced my google voice jibberish with phonepower jibberish. I went to phonepower and setup an account and paid and the phone was working as soon as I finished.  The only thin I had to do was log into google voice and add my new phonepower number as the default forwarding number.  google called it, i entered a code and my old number rang my new number.  phonepower even set it up to use my google voice number as my caller id.  the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes. most of which was entering address etc. call quality seems better actually

wpollock

I am trying to use the link to PhonePower within the obi portal to set up new service. I am asked to enter a number and service provider before being directed to phone powers site. when i click on number my saved obi number appears but when i click on the service provider link there is no option which keeps me from continuing to the phone power site to establish a new account. I assume my current provider is google voice but neither it nor any other provider is an option. any help?

thanks

PCDoctor

just choose sip1.  its asking you where you want to put the config stuff in your obi for phonepower. i told it to overwrite my google voice config. its all automatic. just 2 clicks and an i agree to move on

wpollock

when I click on the down arrow to select service provider no choice is shown.surely I have to have one.

PCDoctor

you gotta have your obi on the internet and registered with your account. if your logged in you just pick it the pick sip1

ekeby

purchased a PhonePower Acct yesterday, told me it would be activated today (May 15). Picked up phone, no dial tone.

went to google and could not find anyplace to put in the new Phone Power phone number for google voice to forward to/from.

went to obitalk and clicked the provider link, put in the area code for 7-digit calling, and that was it. I'm able to make phone calls, but I have no idea if it's going out as my google voice number or my Phone Power phone number.

On my google voice settings, I'm shown my google voice phone number, and links to CHANGE/PORT, DELETE, or TRANSFER. Am I supposed to click on one of those and put in the phone power number? HELP and THANKS!

Taoman

Quote from: ekeby on May 15, 2014, 02:22:28 PM

went to obitalk and clicked the provider link, put in the area code for 7-digit calling, and that was it. I'm able to make phone calls, but I have no idea if it's going out as my google voice number or my Phone Power phone number.

On my google voice settings, I'm shown my google voice phone number, and links to CHANGE/PORT, DELETE, or TRANSFER. Am I supposed to click on one of those and put in the phone power number? HELP and THANKS!

I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

You said you are able to make phone calls. Why don't you call your cell phone and look at the number that is being displayed? Or whomever you call, why don't you ask them what number is being displayed when you call them?????

And when you're in Google Voice settings and you see links to "CHANGE/PORT, DELETE, or TRANSFER" what do you see when you scroll down a little bit????

Novice

I signed up for PhonePower at 11pm EST last night. They charged my card and sent me a confirmation email that said I would receive another email shortly with links and details. It's 8 hours later and I still haven't received my second email. My SP1 slot is now blank, but that's all I got so far. Did everyone else get a second email, or did something go wrong with my account?

PCDoctor

mine was up and running in 1 minute after i entered account info

Novice

OK, got my second email next day 4pm EST - 17 hours later, and it auto-updated my OBI at that time.
No audio for first 20 second of any call so far. I'm sure it's not too hard to fix, but I don't have time too look into now - that's why I signed up Thursday night when I had time.
I think I'll just switch my OBI back to GV in the meantime since that still works great :)

ekeby

Quote from: Taoman on May 15, 2014, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: ekeby on May 15, 2014, 02:22:28 PM

I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

You said you are able to make phone calls. Why don't you call your cell phone and look at the number that is being displayed? Or whomever you call, why don't you ask them what number is being displayed when you call them?????

And when you're in Google Voice settings and you see links to "CHANGE/PORT, DELETE, or TRANSFER" what do you see when you scroll down a little bit????

completely serious... yes was able to call cell phone, but no number displayed. However, I did get a google voice mail alert for that call, and I have got voice mails from others.  So I presume it is working. Unfortunately, now my uniden phone set won't connect to the obitalk. I think it's a battery issue in the master unit, but will not know for sure until I replace battery.

re what I see when I scroll down from CHANGE/PORT, DELETE, or TRANSFER: I see a box to check to forward calls to Google Chat, which I have unselected. Below that, there is a section to verify cell phone (which I have not done) and below that ADD ANOTHER PHONE.

My only nagging doubt is, because google voice has not yet lifted the support for my model obhai, am I still using the old system? I don't think so, because I unselected google chat, which is how the old system connected, if I remember correctly.
thanks for the help...

Novice

Quote from: Novice on May 17, 2014, 08:19:28 PM
OK, got my second email next day 4pm EST - 17 hours later, and it auto-updated my OBI at that time.
No audio for first 20 second of any call so far. I'm sure it's not too hard to fix, but I don't have time too look into now - that's why I signed up Thursday night when I had time.
I think I'll just switch my OBI back to GV in the meantime since that still works great :)

Finally was at home and had time to switch back to GV. When I signed up with PhonePower, I was hoping all my custom digit maps would remain in place, and they would just replace GV with PhonePower. I think that was basically the case, but...
I had FPL on SP1 as my primary line, with 911 service (I live in Canada), and GV on SP2. I specifically did not select to use PhonePower as my primary line when signing up through OBI ASP. When my PhonePower automatically replaced GV some time on Friday (when I wasn't home and with no notice), they made PhonePower the primary line (so my *98 FPL voicemail stopped working), and also removed the 911 calling from FPL!!!!!!!! I suppose PhonePower has 911 support for Canada, but I doubt it would have worked with my digit maps and call routes. Luckily, no one in my family needed to call 911 over the last couple of days.

The easy configuration of ASPs was a nice idea, but perhaps not as well thought out as it should have been. 911 calling should be tested in any case with any change, but that's hard to do when you're not the one deciding when the configuration change will happen.

Hen999ry

Quote from: PCDoctor on May 15, 2014, 08:51:41 AM
I switched off google voice an onto phonepowers $59.99 a year unlimited plan. They or obihai automatically replaced my google voice jibberish with phonepower jibberish. I went to phonepower and setup an account and paid and the phone was working as soon as I finished.  The only thin I had to do was log into google voice and add my new phonepower number as the default forwarding number.  google called it, i entered a code and my old number rang my new number.  phonepower even set it up to use my google voice number as my caller id.  the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes. most of which was entering address etc. call quality seems better actually
My experience was exactly the same -- almost couldn't believe how smooth and easy it was.

PCDoctor

yeah i know.  i switched my parents over and havent heard a thing from them.  I dont know what people are doing wrong during the setup. it was easy and my number one customers are picky and satisfied :)