News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing calls disconnect at random

Started by ChrisThompson, May 03, 2011, 12:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisThompson

When using the OBI110 to make outgoing calls, the calls get dropped after seemingly random time intervals.  My last call disconnected after about 10 minutes, some last longer, up to 30 or 45 minutes.  When the call drops I hear something like a click and then a dialtone.

Call dropping happens both when dialing out through GV AND when dialing out using the LINE port (using # to dial out).

RonR

Is the click a physical sound coming from the OBi hardware?  Does the power LED turn red at the same time?  If so, it's the OBi spontaneously rebooting.

When the OBi reboots, a hefty relay drops out briefly which makes a notable click sound, and while it's disengaged, your telephone is connected directly to the LINE Port, giving you PSTN dialtone.

ChrisThompson

The OBI is mounted in my basement, so I have no idea if it's rebooting or not.  I suppose I could check the uptime reported by the device next time it happens.  Currently the uptime is reported at 6 hours, which is approximately the time that my last call disconnected.

RonR

Checking the UpTime will tell you.  If I recall correctly, spontaneous reboots will also have no Reboot Reason Code shown in parenthesis after the UpTime:

0 Days 0:04:19 (4)

ChrisThompson

My uptime shows: 0 Days 6:35:59 (0)

So that may not be what's going on. I did plug it in this morning after testing the DTMF issue with the device unplugged.  I'll wait until I get another dropped call and I'll check the uptime then.

RonR

(0) is displayed after a cold-start (a power up), so your last reboot wasn't unexplained.  Any chance you're losing power unexpectedly (loose power plug, etc.).

ChrisThompson

It just happened to me again.  I checked the box and it was definitely rebooting during the disconnect.  The uptime line just says : 0 Days 0:01:08

There's no code in parentheses after the time.  Is there anyway to have the device generate a log?

RonR

You definitely got a spontaneous reboot.

You can enable a Syslog at:

System Management -> Device Admin -> Syslog

tkc9789

I have similar issue with calls being dropped at random.  And it seems to me that the calls were dropped while I'm on hold,  with no conversation.  I was sitting next to the OBi when the calls were dropped.  No rebooting of box.

tkc9789

Ummm..  I'm trying again.  Been on hold for over 10 minutes.  Call still holding.  My drops seems to be random now.

tkc9789

My last call got dropped again, in the middle of a conversation. 

jimates

when I first got my Obi back in January I had trouble with dropped calls. I never checked the Obi at the time to see if it was rebooting or anything, so I don't really know what was happening.

I replaced the router and have had no more problems.