News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone Power switching headache

Started by mhilb, May 15, 2014, 03:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhilb

Switching from google voice to Phone Power today.  Thought it was going smoothly - sign up seemed easy enough.  But post set-up, all the calls were one directional.  Couldn't get inbound sound.  Reached out to Phone Power support via chat (took a while due to people in queue ahead of me), but fairly quickly they then picked up the phone and called me on my cell.  Kudos for the personal touch.

Spent an hour with tech support - trying port forwarding, DMZ configurations, etc.  Eventual fix.  Deleted the Phone Power from my Obitalk dashboard (click the little gear in the upper right corner, then you can delete it from SP1).  Then went back to Approved Service Providers, and selected Phone Power again, but didn't pick a new account ("restore account") and had it ReSync.   Then everything seemed to work fine.  Port forwarding turned out to not be necessary for me.

Note:  Under port forwarding, for AT&T Uverse (2Wire modem), if you forward ports, and set up a custom port forwarding for Obi, and select from the Application Type: "SIP Based Internet Telephony" - it will NOT work.  It actually interferes with the call.  If you level that blank, then port forwarding for AT&T Uverse then works correctly.  After solving this (was noted in another forum - thank you!) - I then discovered that it worked without port forwarding at all.... but picking that SIP option really messed it up.

Bottomline Verdict:  Day 1.   Phone Power migration didn't go smooth, not sure why.  But attempt #2 did work fine.  Phone is working fine.  Tech support did okay and was responsive and helpful.   
I'm receiving inbound CNAM, which is nice.  Still waiting to see if my outbound CNAM record for my GV account gets updated (hopeful) - hate the unknown.

Taoman

Quote from: mhilb on May 15, 2014, 03:00:08 PM
Still waiting to see if my outbound CNAM record for my GV account gets updated (hopeful) - hate the unknown.

You will not get outbound CNAM with PhonePower if you are spoofing with your GV number. Only the number is passed.