News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to Add Device - support FAQ not helpful

Started by VOIPsmasher, May 15, 2014, 03:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOIPsmasher

First, I should mention that I've been using my Obi100 with GV for about a year, with occasional problems, but 95% of the time it works fine. I was having problems transitioning to Vestalink/GV, so I did a factory restore and deleted the device and we have a completely clean slate, so here's the current problem.

I'm trying to add the Obi100 back into my Obitalk profile. However, I am unable to do this. I have a solid green light for power on the Obi, and the middle light, the web? icon, is flashing green quickly. No other lights.

"Please pick up the telephone handset, and dial **5 5963
  • You may hang-up when you hear the automated response.
Trying to connect to your device... (Timeout in 115 seconds)"

"The number you have dialed **5 5963 has been sent to the server" However, it counts down to 0 and the Obitalk page says "Failed to connect to your device. Please check your device's internet connection"

The internet connection is fine. I get the IP address of 192.168.0.106 when I dial ***1. I CANNOT call **9-222-222-222. The recording responds "there is no service available to complete your call."

Again, it's worth mentioning I had this Obi100 working for about a year, same router, Ethernet cord, handset, etc. So I know it's capable of working with my router, it's just especially fussy today. Router is an Archer C7 AC1750. For good measure, today I set the DMZ status to "enable" and set it's IP address to the Obi100's (192.168.0.106).

I can only access the Obi100 through the Obitalk portal. If I attempt to access it through the IP address in my browser, nothing happens (page won't load/page not found).

giqcass

Welcome to the forum.

First make sure your Obi has been deleted from the portal.  
You said
Quote from: VOIPsmasher on May 15, 2014, 03:39:18 PMI can only access the Obi100 through the Obitalk portal.

If you can acces the Obi from the portal it has not been deleted from the portal.  That must be done before the Obi can be correctly reset.  Failure to follow the instruction to the letter may result in a failure to get a full reset.  The reset pin may be in a slightly different spot on the Obi100 but the directions are the same otherwise.
1. Power on the OBi device.
2. Locate the Factory Reset button access hole on the bottom of the OBi. It is a circular hole (a little larger than the others) just above and to the left of the Model ID on the product label.
3. Using a paper clip or similar instrument, depress the button inside the hole for 15 seconds.
4. The Power LED will flash red. This indicates you may release the button and the OBi will now be reset to its factory defaults.

Let us know if this does not help.
Long live our new ObiLords!

VOIPsmasher

Quote from: giqcass on May 15, 2014, 09:19:40 PM
If you can acces the Obi from the portal it has not been deleted from the portal.  

Thanks for your reply. I should clarify, I meant I could only access it from the page prior to deleting it, rather than being able to access it through it's IP address. The device no longer appears on my Obitalk page.

However, I followed the steps for the reset you provided and it is repeating the behavior of my last post.

I should also add, after multiple resets etc. and approximately 20 attempts to add the Obi100 device back to my obitalk page, adding has failed all but twice. On two occasions it allowed me to add the device but the connection of the Obi100 to the router/internet must be dropping at some point as I'll go to make a call and will get the error "There is no service available to complete this call" even if I'm attempting an echo test call. I then do a factory reset with the paper clip, rinse, repeat and around we go.

giqcass

I'm at somewhat of a loss.  At this point the standard solution is to power cycle your modem and router if you have not done so already.
Long live our new ObiLords!

drgeoff

Try pinging the OBi from your computer. You won't get anywhere until that works.

helpme

Quote from: drgeoff on May 16, 2014, 07:23:53 AM
Try pinging the OBi from your computer. You won't get anywhere until that works.

drgeoff: have a same problem as VOIPsmasher --"failure to connect to device".  how do we ping the obi from the computer?  thanks!

helpme

My Obi110 is back up and running with PhonePower

Not sure what happened.  Heard that distinct, flimsy clicking sound of a factory reset coming from the device.  Checked the LEDs.  Found the power LED to be steady green for the first time since this started.

Logged on to my account and added a device.  On the second attempt, it was recognized.  Resynced PhonePower.  Calls are now going through again.

After earlier installing the PhonePower softphone on my PC to have, at least, some telephone connectivity, I abandoned further troubleshooting efforts.  Guess the Obihai elves were hard at work in the background and solved the issue.  If that's the case--thanks, mates!

So, VOIPsmasher, there is hope for you yet.  Good luck!

VOIPsmasher

Quote from: drgeoff on May 16, 2014, 07:23:53 AM

I'm unable to ping the Obi100. Its IP address is currently 192.168.0.103. If I type "ping 192.168.0.103" CMD changes it to "192.168.0.102" and says "Destination host unreachable."

I can ping other devices on my network fine. First, why would it change the IP address while I'm pinging and second, any idea why I can't connect? .102 is the computer I'm pinging from.

I should note the Obi100 shows up in two places on my Archer C7 router administration page. The first place is under "DHCP Clients List" and the second place is under "Forwarding" UPnP. For good measure I just disabled UPnP on the router and factory reset Obi100 and restarted the router, no difference.

The Obi100 is connected to a switch, and as I mentioned in a previous post it was working for months with this network configuration so I'm baffled as to why it won't connect anymore.