News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Coming Soon: Ring.to a new OBiTALK ASP with Absolutely FREE Calling!

Started by yosif, May 15, 2014, 10:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosif

Email from OBIHAI:

We would like to welcome "Ring.to" to the OBiTALK Approved Service Provider program. The Ring.to offer will be for customers who have purchased a new OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202 or OBi5vs series device after May 1st 2014 and have a Google Voice or other valid US phone number that can be ported to Ring.to.
What's different about Ring.to from the other OBiTALK approved service providers, in terms of the initial setup, is that you have to port your own phone number -landline, mobile or VoIP- to the Ring.to service. You also need to purchase your own 911 service separately. Ring.to is a FREE Service that allows you to untether your phone number. Ring.to will provide the following to new OBi device owners:

•   Free SMS
•   Free Voicemail
•   Free Call Forwarding
•   Free calling in North America
When Ring.to is available as an OBiTALK ASP, here is what you will need to do to see if Ring.to is available to you:
1.   Check if your number is eligible to be ported to Ring.to
2.   Get 911 configured on your OBi device
3.   Port your US number to Ring.to
4.   Start making calls!
The Ring.to ASP offer at OBiTALK will be available inside the next few weeks.

yosif

What about existing Obihai customers with devices purchased before May 1, 2014?

giqcass

Long live our new ObiLords!

k000

Quote from: yosif on May 15, 2014, 10:46:53 PM
Email from OBIHAI:

We would like to welcome "Ring.to" to the OBiTALK Approved Service Provider program. The Ring.to offer will be for customers who have purchased a new OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202 or OBi5vs series device after May 1st 2014 and have a Google Voice or other valid US phone number that can be ported to Ring.to.
What's different about Ring.to from the other OBiTALK approved service providers, in terms of the initial setup, is that you have to port your own phone number -landline, mobile or VoIP- to the Ring.to service. You also need to purchase your own 911 service separately. Ring.to is a FREE Service that allows you to untether your phone number. Ring.to will provide the following to new OBi device owners:

•   Free SMS
•   Free Voicemail
•   Free Call Forwarding
•   Free calling in North America
When Ring.to is available as an OBiTALK ASP, here is what you will need to do to see if Ring.to is available to you:
1.   Check if your number is eligible to be ported to Ring.to
2.   Get 911 configured on your OBi device
3.   Port your US number to Ring.to
4.   Start making calls!
The Ring.to ASP offer at OBiTALK will be available inside the next few weeks.

And you leave us loyal existing customers in the dump?

GrooveIP let all its users get the Ring.to service... why not you ?

ant17

Why wait when this free service is available now, and callcentric provide a free incoming phone number too.

Many "no wait" options here folks!

Totally free, in and outbound-->http://kot.voip01.com/

enjoy

ap

cdog999

Quote from: ant17 on May 16, 2014, 07:43:35 AM
Why wait when this free service is available now, and callcentric provide a free incoming phone number too.

enjoy

ap
Is this for real?

It is asking for
GV username:
GV password:

Ehhhhh.....

greenhorse

Quote from: ant17 on May 16, 2014, 07:43:35 AM

enjoy

ap

how do you all get a free incoming phone number from callcentric ?
isn't it free only for NY state ?

zorlac

greenhorse
The free DID from CC is a New York area code but it works inbound anywhere if you can forward to it from another # such as GV.
I'm in NJ & two of them are working for me.

greenhorse

Quote from: zorlac on May 16, 2014, 09:04:14 AM
greenhorse
The free DID from CC is a New York area code but it works inbound anywhere if you can forward to it from another # such as GV.
I'm in NJ & two of them are working for me.

Thanks! For some reason I assumed you have to be NY state resident to get
free number...

ipse

Quote from: k000 on May 16, 2014, 05:42:01 AM
GrooveIP let all its users get the Ring.to service... why not you ?

Don't get overly excited about GrooveIP moving to Ring.to...I can't make calls to Canadian destinations from the app...it does work from their web portal...I'm sure it's a glitch, but it has been a bumpy start.
I agree that it was quick and painless to get a new number and start calling - many of us wouldn't port their GV numbers to Ring.to just yet.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

ipse

Quote from: greenhorse on May 16, 2014, 09:15:40 AM
free number...
I'm a NY resident ...from Canada :)

zorlac

Quote from: ipse on May 16, 2014, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: greenhorse on May 16, 2014, 09:15:40 AM
free number...
I'm a NY resident ...from Canada :)
CC is under the impression I'm from Andromeda.  ;D
911 my arse.  :D

fuguansun@gmail.com

You have steps to configure with this free service: kot.voip01.com?

my obi is obi100, using linksys.

yosif

Dean

If its free forever why not buy a new obi100 and use it? Your talking $37.98 at Amazon

yosif

Quote from: Dean on May 16, 2014, 01:43:15 PM
If its free forever why not buy a new obi100 and use it? Your talking $37.98 at Amazon
Maybe. Or maybe the old box will work as well. We will know when ring.to will finish integration with Obihai in a few weeks.

ipse

Sorry, this is completely BACKWARDS: when I (alongside many of the current forum members) bought the Obixxx devices, we were sold a device that WORKS with Google Voice. As a matter of fact, Obihai painted this feature as the big differentiator between them and the cheap Chinese PAP2T clones that flood eBay.
So don't ask me to buy a NEW device when (and IF) GV ceases to work on Obi. I expect Obihai to own up and offer a solution to fill the gap left by Google retiring the current implementation of GV.

This might be an academic discussion in the end, but I find the approach typical for companies who don't care about their customers once they got ahold of their credit card #.
Sadly, the complete lack of Obihai presence in this forum is another indication the assumption might be right.

[/rant]

Kage

This is just speculation on my part but I would imagine that a firmware update would be all it takes to make this new service work on older models. For Obihai to force long time customers to purchase a whole new box would be bad PR and not customer friendly.

nitzan

Quote from: ipse on May 16, 2014, 02:26:47 PMThis might be an academic discussion in the end, but I find the approach typical for companies who don't care about their customers once they got ahold of their credit card #.
But see.. you're NOT their customer. It's people who are going to buy new Obi's that are their customers now... obviously it's a move to force people to buy a new device (more $$$ to Obihai) if they want to use ring.to. May piss a lot of people off, but good for business.

Who said anything about "forever"? Bandwidth (ring.to) already indicated it's not going to be free forever, see: https://bandwidth.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/365611-how-can-ringto-be-free-are-you-loading-this-up-wi
Also their terms of service has a "fees" clause and specifically says they can change/increase fees at any point with a 30 day notice.

IMHO the only thing "free" about this offer is "free marketing". Watch them get a ton of users then bam! come the fees. Sadly a lot of people will still do it anyway because, uhh, free!
Nitzan Kon, CEO
Future Nine Corporation
http://www.future-nine.com/