News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - still working - and its 16 May 2014

Started by justgrant, May 16, 2014, 03:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justgrant

I'm using more than one GV number with Obi202 and thus far, as of 6:30 AM ET U.S., all lines continue to work - both inbound and outbound calls.

Any others using GV with lines still working (inbound and outbound calls)?

Just curious.

justgrant

logicliker

Is there a possibility that it will work indefinitely?

jonsid

::) Still works for me!  What a disappointment!  ;D Maybe it will get phased out gradually or maybe this is another one of Google's surprises.

Rulo

Obviously someone forgot to pull the plug, they will tough...

giqcass

I've been thinking it might not happen until they get to work(main headquarters) at around 9PDT.  Everything still working here but I don't hold out much hope.  My incoming calls bypass XMPP just in case. ;)

Theory number 2 they pull they plug slowly.  A server at a time. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

SeaObi

Working like a charm.  False alarm, maybe this was just an attempt to thin out the herd by Google?

giqcass

I wouldn't call it a false alarm until at least 1pm EST.  That gives them time to get into the office, eat some doughnuts, drink a little coffee, and then pull the plug. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

Everton

Quote from: giqcass on May 16, 2014, 06:39:26 AM
I wouldn't call it a false alarm until at least 1pm EST.  That gives them time to get into the office, eat some doughnuts, drink a little coffee, and then pull the plug. 

I can't understand where people get the idea that GV will not work on OBI ATAs beyond May 15, 2014.  All information stated that it will not be "supported" beyond that date.  I have not made any backup plans because it is not clear to me that GV and OBi Device might continue to work for a very long time.  There is no guarantee that the Handout technology might even work the way it should, leaving the old method in tact.

whoit

Wow - a lot of (mis)information here.

So far I've read dozens of articles and forum posts declaring the death of XMPP and not one person has posted a link to anything official from Google.

If someone has a link directly to a Google page that indicates the proposed change(s) for May 15, I'd really like to see it.

Otherwise, this is all uninformed speculation, particularly since my Obi is connecting perfectly as of today.

martinsmithson

Wow - a lot of (mis)information here . . . spoken by someone whom clearly prefers to inflame an issue versus research the issue for him/herself . . . accordingly, I find this post worthless.

Most OBi users are aware of OBihai's email which detailed . . . http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html

It seems reasonable to allow "whoit" an opportunity to show us all if he/she can post comments worth reading instead of worth-less.

I have 4 GV numbers and also use an OBi202 and as of 8:30 AM Pacific Time all lines are currently working.

Ciao,

Martin

whoit

"martinsmithson" - Thank you for so graciously allowing me to post here. Your kindness and generosity is second to none, and clearly I should be thanking my lucky stars that someone like you has taken it upon themselves to shine their beacon upon someone as worthless as myself. I am ashamed and humbled before your obvious greatness. All hail "martinsmithson" for he is truly worthy of the honor of Forum God!

aopisa

Quote from: whoit on May 16, 2014, 07:39:24 AM
Wow - a lot of (mis)information here.

So far I've read dozens of articles and forum posts declaring the death of XMPP and not one person has posted a link to anything official from Google.

If someone has a link directly to a Google page that indicates the proposed change(s) for May 15, I'd really like to see it.

Otherwise, this is all uninformed speculation, particularly since my Obi is connecting perfectly as of today.

I must admit I was skeptical of the above comment. I went searching for myself and came up with practically nothing official from Google.

I did transition, going with what Obihai has stated regarding today's alleged cutoff.

There is this from a Google employee:

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

"- Finally, we want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014."

Still, that is not a definitive official statement that GV would be cutting off XMPP on the 15th.

whoit

aopisa - my point exactly. Several posts and articles (including the referenced Obi email) make it seem that on May 15 (perhaps at the stroke of midnight!) Obi would cease to function with GV/XMPP. However, articles all over the net, since the initial announcement fail to be explicit about this and I can't find a single Google page that specifically addresses this.

There are a lot of interviews with Google people that I've read but they none are specific about when/if XMPP server access will be shutdown. Only that they're not supporting it, which could mean anything. The fact that it is working today reinforces the idea that they will simply let it dwindle instead of 'turning it off'. In that case it could be active for years (like Windows XP!).

aopisa

Hopefully someone here will find some definitive evidence from Google.

Otherwise I am beginning to think that I may have jumped ship too soon based on hive mentality.

cdcooker

As of 11:40am CDT here, I still can use GV + Obi.  I thought after 12:01am on 5/15/2014, this would be gone!  Now, almost one and a half day now, it is still working like before.  I checked most of the replacement options, but I didn't make up my mind.  Now, I am glad I haven't.  I will keep using GV+Obi until it dies  ;D

BTW, Groove IP on android forced me to change to RingTo.  No more GV with Groove IP.

LeoKing

Quote from: cdcooker on May 16, 2014, 09:41:15 AMBTW, Groove IP on android forced me to change to RingTo.  No more GV with Groove IP.

yep, but you can forward GV to the Ring.To number. Groove IP is not working 100% now but it will take some time.

fuguansun@gmail.com

How do I switch back to GV? I did OBI100 with GV steps,not working

cdcooker

Quote from: LeoKing on May 16, 2014, 10:02:58 AM
Quote from: cdcooker on May 16, 2014, 09:41:15 AMBTW, Groove IP on android forced me to change to RingTo.  No more GV with Groove IP.

yep, but you can forward GV to the Ring.To number. Groove IP is not working 100% now but it will take some time.

How about out going call from Ring.To thru Groove IP?  Will it show GV # or Ring.To #?

LeoKing

Quote from: cdcooker on May 16, 2014, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: LeoKing on May 16, 2014, 10:02:58 AM

How about out going call from Ring.To thru Groove IP?  Will it show GV # or Ring.To #?

I believe Ring.To and the Groove IP developers are working on the GV outgoing CID & the SMS via Groove IP and they will have these features on the app in the future updates.