News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi with Ooma?

Started by tkc9789, May 03, 2011, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkc9789

Can the OBi setup to work in conjunction with the Ooma Telo?  The Ooma is a VoIP box much similar to one provided by Vonage.  I am hoping to use the same handset on the OBi to route local and overseas calls through the Ooma and call family members with OBi installed on their OBi number.  I've tried connecting Ooma's phone port to OBi's line port.  But did not get a dial tone from Ooma.  TIA for your help.

RonR

With the Ooma connected to the OBi's LINE Port, you should be able to hear Ooma dialtone by dialing nothing but # on your OBi telephone.  Once you hear Ooma dialtone, you can dial out on the Ooma.

If the above works, you should also be able to make calls through Ooma by dialing **8 + number from your OBi telephone.  You will not hear the Ooma dialtone in this case.

tkc9789

Quote from: RonR on May 03, 2011, 06:42:34 PM
With the Ooma connected to the OBi's LINE Port, you should be able to hear Ooma dialtone by dialing nothing but # on your OBi telephone.  Once you hear Ooma dialtone, you can dial out on the Ooma.

If the above works, you should also be able to make calls through Ooma by dialing **8 + number from your OBi telephone.  You will not hear the Ooma dialtone in this case.

Since most of our calls are local, and we're so acustomed to dialing with additional prefix,  is there a way to get away with having to dial either # or **8 to make calls through Ooma?  And what about incoming calls to the Ooma?  Will that ring the OBi? 

RonR

First, is # and **8 working for you as described?

Am I correct that you want 7-, 10-, and 11-digit US/Canada calls as well as 011 + country code + number calls to go out the LINE Port to the Ooma and 9-digit OBiTALK numbers all to work without any prefixes?  If so, what is the dialing format on Ooma?  Does the Ooma always want 10- or 11-digits or what?  Please descibe the Ooma's requirements in detail.

Incoming calls are not a problem.

Do you have any providers set up on SP1 and/or SP2 and if so, what do you want to do with them?

RonR

From what I've been able to find, the Ooma supports 7-, 10-, and 11-digit US dialing as well as 011 + country code + number for international calling.  If that's correct, you might try the following:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

(xxxxxxxS4|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|011xx.|xx.|<**9ob>xxxxxxxxxS4)

Dialing 7-, 10-, or 11-digit numbers or 011 + country code + number should go out the LINE Port to the Ooma.

Dialing 9-digit numbers should go out the OBiTALK Port.

If you have providers on SP1 and/or SP2, **1 + number and/or **2 + number should go out those ports.

tkc9789

Quote from: RonR on May 03, 2011, 07:02:49 PM
First, is # and **8 working for you as described?

Am I correct that you want 7-, 10-, and 11-digit US/Canada calls as well as 011 + country code + number calls to go out the LINE Port to the Ooma and 9-digit OBiTALK numbers all to work without any prefixes?  If so, what is the dialing format on Ooma?  Does the Ooma always want 10- or 11-digits or what?  Please descibe the Ooma's requirements in detail.

Incoming calls are not a problem.

Do you have any providers set up on SP1 and/or SP2 and if so, what do you want to do with them?

# is working.  But incoming calls to Ooma do not ring the handset.
I do want 10 and 11 digit US/Canada calls and 011 calls to go out the line port without prefixes.  We don't use 7 digit dialing.  It'll be nice if 9 digit OBiTalk numbers dialing are without prefix as well.
For Ooma,  they are expecting either 10 or 11 digit dialing for calls to US/Canada.  Local calls are 10 digit as well.  

Currently, SP1 is setup for GV.  SP2 for VoIP provider. Either one can be removed if needed.  Preferably get rid of SP2 first.

Greatly appreciate your help.  

tkc9789

You just beat me to the punch.  I'll try the proposed digimap tomorrow.
Any idea why the handset does not ring for incoming calls to Ooma?

RonR

Quote from: tkc9789 on May 03, 2011, 08:03:26 PMAny idea why the handset does not ring for incoming calls to Ooma?

No.  If you can get an Ooma dialtone by dialing just a #, incoming calls from the Ooma should ring the OBi's PHONE Port.

You might double-check the following setting:

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> InboundCallRoute : ph

Also make sure that none of the Calling Features (Call Forward, Do Not Disturb, etc.) on the LINE Port are enabled.  Everything on the LINE Port should be set to Default except for the new DigitMap.

tkc9789

checked all the settings.  They all have default values like you described.   :(

RonR

Then it's not clear to me why incoming calls from Ooma on the OBi's LINE Port don't ring the OBi's PHONE Port.  Others have reported using Ooma with the OBi.  Can you receive incoming calls from Google Voice and LocalPhone?

tkc9789

I do receive incoming calls from GV.  No longer using LocalPhone though.

RonR

I assume that the Ooma plugged into a stand-alone phone rings that phone?  Is there any ring configuration on the Ooma that might make a difference.  I'm about out of ideas.

tkc9789

Quote from: RonR on May 04, 2011, 09:14:55 AM
I assume that the Ooma plugged into a stand-alone phone rings that phone?  Is there any ring configuration on the Ooma that might make a difference.  I'm about out of ideas.

I'm using a DECT cordless phone. That phone rings fine when connected to the Ooma.  When it's moved to the OBi,  I can get Ooma dial tone by pressing the "#" key.  I can call GV and handset rings as well.  But doesn't ring when the Ooma number is called.  I can see the call indicator on the Ooma blinking.  No ring tone. And when I pick up the handset while the incoming call is still ringing,  I got a dial tone from OBi.  Don't believe there are ring configuration on the Ooma that can be changed.

QBZappy

tkc9789,

Hi

Can you call forward your ooma number to GV. If this work around  works for you, it still will not explain why the phone will not ring on incoming calls on your ooma number. At least your phone will ring on that incoming number.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tkc9789

Hi QBZappy,
I guess I could forward Ooma calls to GV.  But my goal is to get rid of GV in my setup.....

RonR

Quote from: tkc9789 on May 04, 2011, 09:57:22 AMI guess I could forward Ooma calls to GV.  But my goal is to get rid of GV in my setup.....

You should not need to use gimmicks like that.

jimates

what does the call history show for incoming calls on the line port. It should show where the Obi delivered the call to.

RonR

Since the InboundCallRoute is set to PH, the only place the call could be delivered to is the PHONE Port, which is apparently working since incoming Google Voice calls work.  If the Ooma's ringing isn't arriving or isn't being recognized, there won't be any record of it in the Call History.  It's worth a look to prove what is already suspected.

tkc9789

I don't see any incoming calls on line1.  Only outgoing test calls that I made.  Why aren't incoming calls picked up by the OBi ?

RonR

That's what I suspected.  For whatever reason, the OBi is not seeing the incoming ringing on the line from the Ooma.

Is there any way you can take your OBi somewhere there is a real PSTN phone line and plug it in to make sure the OBi can detect an incoming call from a real telephone line?  If it can, then the OBi hardware is OK and it's something to do with the Ooma.  If the OBi won't recognize a call from a real telephone line, it could be there is a problem with the OBi hardware.