News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Hangouts has a new Telephone API for 3rd Party support:

Started by Crow550, May 17, 2014, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow550

Appears to be new 3rd Party Support for Apps and Devices.

https://developers.google.com/+/hangouts/telephone-oauth

Contact Obihai, GrooveIP, Talkatone and such & let them know. ;)

This is official 3rd Party support from Google. The previous way was a hack that was not okay by Google. Keep that in mind.

I don't think Obihai is aware of this official API by Google. No 3rd party is yet. It just popped up out of the blue. I'm sure Google will make an announcement eventually.

Kage

Glad I haven't moved to another voip yet, Google Voice is still going like a charm. If Obihai won't update their firmware so that Hangouts works in obi then I'll just purchase another device that does. I'm sure with this news there will be plenty on the market selling them.     

Crow550

You have to keep in mind this sorta just came out with no press release yet or anything. So the 3rd Parties don't even know. At least I assume they don't yet.

Someone found it and posted it as others like myself are making sure to pass it on and get the word out. ;)

I found it in the comments of this G+ post: https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

giqcass

I expect this to be added to Asterisk soon.  The Obi appears to use Java so I imagine this could run on an Obi. some Javascript.    The question is will they?  I don't know what the OS is based on.  I haven't dug into it too much but this API does not appear compatible.  Can they implement this without violating the TOS? I doubt the Obi uses Objective C or Android 4.2.2. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

tm1000

I have reviewed this with Asterisk developers and the input is as follows:
QuoteThis is for writing apps which run in the hangouts environment. The API here is for writing applications which are invoked inside of an active hangout session. You have to add the app to the google hangout platform, then you create a hangout which invokes the app and the app does "stuff". They are not for external manipulation for the purposes of setting up/tearing down hangouts

Quote from: giqcass on May 18, 2014, 03:26:10 AM
I expect this to be added to Asterisk soon.

Kage

Quote from: tm1000 on May 20, 2014, 08:00:20 AM
QuoteThis is for writing apps which run in the hangouts environment. The API here is for writing applications which are invoked inside of an active hangout session. You have to add the app to the google hangout platform, then you create a hangout which invokes the app and the app does "stuff". They are not for external manipulation for the purposes of setting up/tearing down hangouts

First I'm not at all familiar with Asterisk but even with this supposed limitation don't they still have the ability to initiate the hangout session to make their application do stuff inside of it? If that's the case then any third party application could do the same, what's the difference as long as the user isn't forced to go to the Google site first and login that way? 

tm1000

As I tried to explain previously. The "application" sits inside of Hangouts. It can not be accessed externally. The API is for making hangout applications, not for making external applications.

Simply put you can only create the application to sit inside of hangouts. You must also sign up and agree to Google's TOS to create an Application and then be approved to be part of the App store.

"as the user isn't forced to go to the Google site first and login that way" <-- you have to go to hangouts and login to hangouts to use a hangout app.

Quote from: Kage on May 20, 2014, 09:04:10 AM
Quote from: tm1000 on May 20, 2014, 08:00:20 AM

First I'm not at all familiar with Asterisk but even with this supposed limitation don't they still have the ability to initiate the hangout session to make their application do stuff inside of it? If that's the case then any third party application could do the same, what's the difference as long as the user isn't forced to go to the Google site first and login that way? 

Kage

Ok fine, wasn't sure exactly how that would work and whether Asterisk would have the ability to log into a Hangouts session for you independently without having to go to the Google site.

From my perspective at least then it seems kind of pointless and silly to have an app inside of Goggle Hangouts just to make a phone call. That would be like having an application inside the Skype client but I suppose some will find use for it.