News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to protect current configuration

Started by nlurker, May 17, 2014, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlurker

How can I lock/protect the current state of my Obi110, such that it receives no changes/updates to the settings/firmware/etc.?  Just in case Obihai tries to disable any currently working functionality.

swg0101

You can go in the admin web interface and disable the auto-provisioning features in the OBi. I really don't think Obihai will remove the Google Voice functionality unless / until XMPP really stops working, but disabling the auto provisioning functionality will prevent you from configuring your OBi on the web (and you have to use the "expert" interface locally).
Nonetheless, I don't think Obihai will also prevent you from downgrading your firmware so even in that case you can probably reflash an old version (if you are talking about them dropping XMPP support)...

ipse

Quote from: swg0101 on May 17, 2014, 08:38:53 PM
Nonetheless, I don't think Obihai will also prevent you from downgrading your firmware so even in that case you can probably reflash an old version (if you are talking about them dropping XMPP support)...
Actually ...they do prevent you, even now. I have a few older fw versions and can attest the device will not allow you to downgrade...search the forum, but I don't thing anyone has found the xml file change required to downgrade.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

swg0101

Interesting, I never tested this - but I wonder if it has a built-in TFTP server for overriding this type of check  :)

azrobert

Disabling auto-provisioning will NOT prevent Obihai from loading new firmware on your OBi. I configure my OBi via the web interface and always had auto-provisioning disabled. I had a problem with my OBi110 and Obihai installed new firmware with a fix while I had auto-provisioning disabled.

swg0101

Did you also disable the ObiTalk connection?

azrobert

swg0101

I didn't look into it extensively, but I think Obitalk may have a control channel over XMPP for controlling the OBi device. I had to disable it when I wanted to stop Obihai from rebooting my device whenever I make a small change on the Obihai portal (although the changes won't push to the device anymore...)

giqcass

The only way to be sure they most likely can't touch your Obi is to reroute DNS away from all Obi servers.  They can force an update via incoming sip message if they want.  It's a special command in the SIP header.  I believe that command is only done via the Obitalk service but it could probably be don in other ways.  Obviously I make no guarantee.
Long live our new ObiLords!