News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PhonePower Forwarding & Google Voice ring delay

Started by srinc, May 18, 2014, 10:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srinc

I switched to PhonePower and everything went fine. I can make & receive calls fine utilizing my PhonePower number forwarded to my existing Google Voice number and the clarity is good.

The one issue I am seeing is the ring delay when I receive a call that is forwarded through PhonePower to my Google Voice number. On average it starts to ring after the fourth ring and will ring about two times and then go to Google Voicemail. I have modified the pickup settings using numerous time configurations in the PhonePower website and contacted their support to no avail.

If I call the PhonePower number directly it rings on the Google Voice line right away.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a setting that I may be missing?

swg0101

What kind of numbers are you forwarding to in GV? If you are forwarding to one of the free VoIP numbers on the Internet, GV is known to have issues ringing those numbers. I haven't noticed issues on my landline or cell number though...

srinc

I am forwarding a PhonePower number to my Google Voice number. The Google Voice is a number that was ported to Google a few years ago.

Taoman

Quote from: srinc on May 18, 2014, 10:21:06 AM

The one issue I am seeing is the ring delay when I receive a call that is forwarded through PhonePower to my Google Voice number.

If I call the PhonePower number directly it rings on the Google Voice line right away.

I don't understand the difference between the above two statements. In both cases, isn't the PhonePower number being called directly? What am I missing?

Just because I'm curious.......why are you forwarding from PP to GV instead of the other way around?

srinc

I have two numbers, one is the PhonePower number that they assigned when signing up for their service. The second number I have is my existing home number hosted by Google. The PhonePower number forwards all calls to the Google Voice number but you could dial it directly and there is no ring delay. PhonePower does their magic to show as it coming from my Google Voice number and not their number they assigned me.

My configuration is working correctly in all aspects other than a ring delay. I am just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with PhonePower and a ring delay to Google Voice? I did not encounter this issue when I was using Callcentric with the same setup.

I decided to switch to PhonePower because of their deal with Obitalk.

swg0101

I guess I am confused as well, I am assuming your forwarding path looks like this:

Phone 2
External Caller --> # Assigned by PhonePower --> Google Voice ----|---- Phone 1
                                                                                       Phone 3

In this case, forwarding from GV to Phone 1 / 2 / 3 matters, especially what providers these phones are using and the number the external caller is using. If PhonePower messes with the incoming caller ID value, then that may also be causing some issues as well (GV does not like incoming calls with CID set to itself, since it knows the call setup in this manner is not possible and many times forwarding will not work).

Taoman

Quote from: srinc on May 18, 2014, 01:33:02 PM
I have two numbers, one is the PhonePower number that they assigned when signing up for their service. The second number I have is my existing home number hosted by Google. The PhonePower number forwards all calls to the Google Voice number but you could dial it directly and there is no ring delay. PhonePower does their magic to show as it coming from my Google Voice number and not their number they assigned me.

Wow, this is confusing. I doubt you will get many responses since I doubt very many people are forwarding from PhonePower to Google Voice. Most people do it the other way around.

You say your "home number" is now hosted by Google. Isn't that the number you want most people to call you on? Isn't the number that PhonePower gave you a brand new number that no one knows yet? I'm trying to wrap my head around why you are forwarding from PP to Google instead of Google to PP? I just don't get it.

But if you are actually forwarding from your PP number to your GV number and your PP number is being spoofed with that GV number then it is quite understandable what you are experiencing. Google Voice has a problem answering a call that appears to be coming from itself.

Again, can you please explain why your are forwarding from PP to Google Voice instead of the other way around?

Taoman

Quote from: srinc on May 18, 2014, 01:33:02 PM
The PhonePower number forwards all calls to the Google Voice number but you could dial it directly and there is no ring delay.

Pretend you are talking to a 5-year old, ok? In the above statement you say you could dial "it" directly. What is "it?" We're talking about two different numbers here.

Again, I point you to my first post where I ask you what the difference is between these two statements. You have not answered the question.

QuoteThe one issue I am seeing is the ring delay when I receive a call that is forwarded through PhonePower to my Google Voice number.

How are those 2 statements different? In each case, isn't the PhonePower number being dialed "directly" and then it is being forwarded to Google Voice?