News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 PSTN dialing

Started by ashish, May 19, 2014, 08:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashish

I am trying to setup Obi110 with GV as SP1 and a PSTN line. I want the default to be PSTN, but could not get it to work.

I to change PhonePort->PrimaryLine to Trunk Group 1 to get GV to dial out correctly.
When I press # to reach the telephone line, I can hear the dial tone but cannot dial out. It disconnects without ringing and I hear the SP1 dial tone.

I tried to set PSTN line as Primary but that also did not work.

Any guidance will be appreciated. I searched and tried experimenting a few setting (e.g changing the Dial Delay, but that did not help)

Shale

What happens if you dial **8# ?

I don't have an OBi110, but I think that may be a useful diagnostic to see what works.

ashish

ianobi

The best test of the PSTN line is to press "#", which seems to connect, but then you cannot dial out.

The default setting for an OBi110 is for PSTN to be the Primary Line. This can be set at:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: PSTN Line

If you disconnect the OBi from the PSTN line and connect a normal corded telephone in its place, does that work correctly?

Maybe there is a problem with the PSTN line voltage. With the OBi connected to the PSTN line, but with no call in progress what voltage is shown here:

Status > PHONE & LINE Status > Line Port Status > TipRingVoltage

It should show around -45v.

ashish

Quote from: ianobi on May 19, 2014, 10:11:42 AM
The best test of the PSTN line is to press "#", which seems to connect, but then you cannot dial out.
Correct

The default setting for an OBi110 is for PSTN to be the Primary Line. This can be set at:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: PSTN Line
Done that

If you disconnect the OBi from the PSTN line and connect a normal corded telephone in its place, does that work correctly?
Yes, it works fine

Maybe there is a problem with the PSTN line voltage. With the OBi connected to the PSTN line, but with no call in progress what voltage is shown here:

Status > PHONE & LINE Status > Line Port Status > TipRingVoltage

It should show around -45v.
Here's what my screen shows:

ianobi

All looks normal. The problem seems to be that your local Telco is not recognising the dtmf tones put out by the OBi110. Did the corded phone you used for testing put out tones that you could hear when you dialled? A few places in the world still use loop disconnect rather than tones.

If the test phone worked and used tones, then using the OBi after you got dial tone by pressing "#" try dialling slowly and holding each key for a second or so. If that works, then we can increase the settings that control how the OBi110 sends out tones normally.

ashish

Quote from: ianobi on May 19, 2014, 11:21:45 AM
All looks normal. The problem seems to be that your local Telco is not recognising the dtmf tones put out by the OBi110. Did the corded phone you used for testing put out tones that you could hear when you dialled? A few places in the world still use loop disconnect rather than tones.

If the test phone worked and used tones, then using the OBi after you got dial tone by pressing "#" try dialling slowly and holding each key for a second or so. If that works, then we can increase the settings that control how the OBi110 sends out tones normally.

Thanks. Yes, I am able to use a DTMF tone phone with the telco. When I try to dial slowly, the line disconnects (after 4 presses or so) and I hear the SP1 dial tone again. At other times, I can hear a ring once and then the dial tone takes over. The dialed phone does not ring.
I tried dialing very fast, and I could hear the engage tone. So possibly this has something to do with Obi tone settings.....

ianobi

When you press "#" to get the Telco dial tone your OBi110 Phone Port is directly connected to the OBi110 Line Port, so not many OBi settings are involved. The volume going out to line can be adjusted by Line Port settings ChannelTxGain. ACImpedance could also be involved.

If calls are dropping out during dialling, then it could be a tone problem or maybe the OBi is falsely detecting a PSTN disconnection condition and ending the call.

Sorry I'm not being more specific, but there are a lot of variables with these physical line problems.

I'm signing off for now - getting late in my time zone, but I'll be back tomorrow so post details of what you try and what happens. For now I would concentrate on getting the PSTN line to work after you dial "#" to get the telco dial tone. Once that is working, it should be easy to get normal dialling set up.