News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Hangouts Telephone with Obihai Devices

Started by jhburgess, May 20, 2014, 02:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhburgess

The information below was posted on a FatWallet forum that Google has an approved 3rd party API for using the Google Hangouts Telephone service by providers such as Obihai:

News from 5-17: Google Forum.

Google Hangouts has a new Telephone API for 3rd Party support:
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:18:59 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
Appears to be new 3rd Party Support for Apps and Devices.

https://developers.google.com/+/hangouts/telephone-oauth

Contact Obihai, GrooveIP, Talkatone and such & let them know. Wink

This is official 3rd Party support from Google. The previous way was a hack that was not okay by Google. Keep that in mind.

I don't think Obihai is aware of this official API by Google. No 3rd party is yet. It just popped up out of the blue. I'm sure Google will make an announcement eventually.

Link Above:

Telephone APIs: OAuth requirements

The telephone and billing APIs provide access to the user's Google Voice balance and allow applications to place calls on the user's behalf, possibly costing them money. As a result some methods will only work if the user has granted access via an OAuth scope that the user must agree to when starting the application. Here are the steps to add the scope to your application:

Open the Google Developers Console.
Choose the project that contains your Hangout app.
Choose APIs & auth, find Google+ Hangouts API, then click on the gear icon () to the right of that service name. to get to the settings screen.
Check This application requires additional OAuth 2.0 scopes. This opens a field.
Copy and paste this scope into the field: https://www.googleapis.com/auth/hangout.telephone.
Click Save.

giqcass

I was excited to hear about this as well however after doing some reading I found the API is for Android and IOS.  This does not appear to apply to the current Obi device.  This would likely take reverse engineering to make work on the Obi which is one of the ways the old hack violated the TOS.  This has already been posted in this forum anyway.  It is good news for the Android and IOS device.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Crow550

Has anyone checked for any other APIs for devices?

It seems Google didn't make an announcement of this....

So it really seems like this API will not work on devices?

Maybe they will update it?

I guess until then either hang on to XMPP which can go any day or just use one of the many providers that work with Obi and offer caller id masking for your G-Voice number.