News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

tf.callwithus drops after 15 minutes

Started by CheapSk86, May 22, 2014, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheapSk86

I saw this issue somewhere in a thread and now I can't find it so I am looking for someone who might have the link or info I need for this.

I wanted to try routing my toll-free calls through tf.callwithus to see how it was and if it eliminated some of the load off my outgoings through Phone Power. I call many conference calls a week, I am still evaluating PP, and I don't want the number of calls to my office conference lines to throw a flag.

I created a gateway with a proper Digit Map and verified the calls were outgoing through tf.callwithus instead of PP. I noticed that exactly 15 minutes after the call connected, I would get disconnected. I monitored this through 4 outgoing dials, and finally had to disable the gateway so I could continue a call I was on.

When I was researching options for plans and dialing out, I know I saw something where this problem was mentioned, but searching for it hasn't yielded the thread yet.

1. Can anyone point me to the solution for this via link or directly in reply?
2. Should I even bother with this, or is the PP tollfree (does not use outgoing minutes) going to be okay to continue to use without flag or issue being raised?

Thanks for help in advance.
Dave 8)

gderf

I have a few dollars in an account at CallWithUs. I started with the minimum buy of $5.00.

When I make toll free calls with it (using sip.callwithus.com, not using tf.callwithus) I have no apparent time limits and the calls are free.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

mo832

I've had problems with calls dropped after 2, 15, 30, and 60 minutes. I've never found a solution, but I think I narrowed it down to either localphone or ipkall, with ipkall being more suspect.

In your case, you may try to use 800 thru a different provider, like ideasip or others:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1466.20

azrobert

Below are the tollfree providers I found that work. I don't know if any have time limits. I use future-9. You can automatically add the ** or * prefix.

Required format and provider:
*18xxxxxxxxx    sipbroker.com
18xxxxxxxxx      tf.arctele.com
**18xxxxxxxxx  tollfree.future-nine.com
18xxxxxxxxx       tf.callwithus.com
18xxxxxxxxx       sip.denetron.com

CheapSk86

I was actually using the tf.callwithus.com instructions that AZRobert posted up in another thread. I have the Digit Map for that in now, but it's disabled because that was dropping them.

I set up the gateway so it was completely independent of my PP settings. I was able to confirm it going out through tf.callwitus.com and not PP. The 15minute drop only occurs through tf.callwithus. When I disabled that gateway and started routing through PP, the 15minute drop stopped.

Are the others listed the same type of configuration? And are they quick and clear?

azrobert

I have 2 OBi's and have Future-9 setup in one and CallWithUs in the other. Both seem about the same quality. Based on your reporting I will probably switch CallWithUs to one of the other providers. Thanks.

I have them all setup in an Asterisk PBX and only use them for very short calls. Only a few seconds. I'd be embarrassed to tell you what I'm doing. LOL They all seem fine, but I'm not sure.

The setup is the same except for the 2 that need a prefix. Use the following DigitMap for Future-9:
(<**>18(00|88|77|66|55|44)xxxxxxx)

This will automatically add the ** prefix.

ProfTech

I tried tf.callwithus without an account and couldn't get it to work. However they are so flexible that it is not a big deal to set up an account. You can now use a credit card and like gderf said I think you only have to put $5.00 on the account. Toll free calls are still free and it seems that CallWithUs may be one of the few providers that support "early media" which is important, especially for toll-free calls. Note that if you do decide to open an account I think you must make one paid call every 90 days to keep the account open.

ipse

Quote from: gderf on May 22, 2014, 11:25:31 AM
I have a few dollars in an account at CallWithUs. I started with the minimum buy of $5.00.
When I make toll free calls with it (using sip.callwithus.com, not using tf.callwithus) I have no apparent time limits and the calls are free.
Same here: I have done calls longer than 2 hrs (company bridge) but NEVER used the tf.callwithus server.
There could be limitations...best to shoot an email to Callwithus, they response is always prompt.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

mo832

Quote from: ProfTech on May 23, 2014, 08:44:10 AM
I tried tf.callwithus without an account and couldn't get it to work. However they are so flexible that it is not a big deal to set up an account. You can now use a credit card and like gderf said I think you only have to put $5.00 on the account. Toll free calls are still free and it seems that CallWithUs may be one of the few providers that support "early media" which is important, especially for toll-free calls. Note that if you do decide to open an account I think you must make one paid call every 90 days to keep the account open.

What is early media?

giqcass

Quote from: mo832 on May 23, 2014, 10:54:20 AM
What is early media?
A related thread talking about Early media.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5250.0

Quote from: CheapSk86 on May 22, 2014, 10:38:41 AM
I saw this issue somewhere in a thread and now I can't find it so I am looking for someone who might have the link or info I need for this.

I wanted to try routing my toll-free calls through tf.callwithus to see how it was and if it eliminated some of the load off my outgoings through Phone Power. I call many conference calls a week, I am still evaluating PP, and I don't want the number of calls to my office conference lines to throw a flag.

I created a gateway with a proper Digit Map and verified the calls were outgoing through tf.callwithus instead of PP. I noticed that exactly 15 minutes after the call connected, I would get disconnected. I monitored this through 4 outgoing dials, and finally had to disable the gateway so I could continue a call I was on.

When I was researching options for plans and dialing out, I know I saw something where this problem was mentioned, but searching for it hasn't yielded the thread yet.

1. Can anyone point me to the solution for this via link or directly in reply?
2. Should I even bother with this, or is the PP tollfree (does not use outgoing minutes) going to be okay to continue to use without flag or issue being raised?

Thanks for help in advance.
Dave 8)
I found a reference to the issue.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24272167-tf.callwithus.com-time-limit-per-call-?r=0.226813280315842

Quote from: Stewart(DSLReports)I'll try to explain the situation better:

Your device registers with provider A and also makes unregistered calls with provider B (CWU). You have no (NAT timeout) problem with A, because of one of the following:
1. Your register expiry (set by you or A) is shorter than the router's timeout (DD-WRT default is 120 seconds).
2. You have NAT Keep Alive set, which keeps poking A.
3. A is sending you keep alive packets.
4. You are getting a NAT timeout with A, but it doesn't cause you trouble (you don't have a DID with them and they don't send periodic reinvites).

B causes trouble, because none of the above are relevant to the different NAT association formed when you make the TF call. A long timeout will likely resolve the issue. Port forwarding should also work, but some routers don't implement it correctly. In particular, an "originating" outbound packet from the device IP and forwarded port must not have its source port number translated. I don't know whether DD-WRT is smart enough to do that. You can check, either by looking (with SIP Debug) at the rport tag in the Via header in the response to INVITE, or by capturing traffic on the router's WAN interface.
Long live our new ObiLords!

CheapSk86

I was away for a bit, hence the long time between responses and follow-ups from me on this issue.

That said, the latest link, with the quoted box included, looks like what I stumbled upon. Thanks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with the other TF services? If not, I may look at switching to one of those. I could adjust my settings for the router and my network DMZ, but if I don't have to start moving my device mappings then I would prefer not to.

carl

I have been using Callwithus for TF calls and never any problem.
You can also use Localphone but i had there a few dropped TF calls.