News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Topology/Configuration possible?

Started by TodWulff, May 22, 2014, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TodWulff

Good day.

I recently purchased a pair of OBi devices - an OBi100 and an OBi110, to implement a direct OBi110 to OBi100 extension of a pots line to an analog phone in a location without copper running to it (via wifi).

I followed the instructions *here* to do so and it works very well (once I bridged her laptop's wired NIC to the wireless LAN, viola, pure joy was experienced :-*).

The OBi110 happens to be on my desk (in my home office) with an analog phone hooked to it, in addition to the analog pots line dedicated for use by her.

If she is not using her pots line (via the phone hooked to the remote OBi100), I could pick up the OBi110's handset on my desk and use it to place a call on her analog line.  The analog line hooked to the OBi110 is my Bride's business line and, out of professional courtesy (and an appreciation of life), I am not comfortable using it for fear of impacting her business dealing negatively (there would be hell to pay and, as any woman-fearing Husband will attest, a happy Wife is a very happy life... ;D).

SO... What I would like to do is to configure the OBi110 to place a direct sip call with the analog phone hooked to it, without use of the analog pots line and without impacting any call that may be in process on said analog line (from the remote OBi100).

Is the OBi110 able to be configured in this manner?

I do have a couple of sip accounts (IPComms and CallCentric) I have recently set up and got working with a soft-phone on my PC and a sip client on my mobile (droid) phone.  I have 2 DIDs and outbound termination on one of the SIP accounts (having successfully placed and received calls on both accounts via both).

I've searched and, honestly, the forums are so dense with information, that trying to find an applicable post is like trying to find a specific grain of sand on a large beach (simply brutal).  And, candidly, it is my perception that the manuals are targeted towards a readership that has a working knowledge of digital telephony principles, which is not too applicable for many novice users such as myself.  I suspect that in a year or two I will be able to make great use of the provisioning and programming guides, but for now, it is a whole lot of noise (and pretty darned overwhelming).

In the end, I can not negatively impact her use of her line.  If there is a means to an end with the OBi110 (as I strongly suspect there to be, given how powerful and configurable the devices appear to be), I am asking for any help or pointers to an applicable post, tutorial, or other guidance, which will be very well received and genuinely appreciated.

Thank you, in advance.

-Tod Wulff

ianobi

First thing to do is set up a voip provider on sp2 of the OBi110. This might be the same DID as one on your softphone. Some voip providers allow multiple registrations, some do not, so you may have to unregister that provider on the softphone.

When setting it up from your OBi110 Dashboard, if you tick the box to make the provider on sp2 "Primary Line", then your outgoing calls will automatically be routed through the voip provider on sp2. To call out via the pots line you would have to dial **8 followed by the number.

By default the Line Port (POTS) is the default Primary Line. If you wish to leave that so, then you would need to dial **2 followed by the number to make outgoing calls via the voip provider on sp2.

The OBi110 can handle four sessions (calls) at the same time. This means your wife can be using the POTS line from the OBi100 via the OBi110 while you make calls at the same time using the voip provider on sp2.

Next you need to consider what incoming calls ring where. If you followed that hwittenb post, then incoming calls on the POTS line only ring the phone attached to the OBi100. If that's fine then leave it like that. Incoming calls from your new voip provider on sp2 will only call the phone attached to the OBi110. This can be changed if necessary.

TodWulff

Quote from: ianobi on May 23, 2014, 05:37:41 AM
First thing to do is set up a voip provider on sp2 of the OBi110. This might be the same DID as one on your softphone. Some voip providers allow multiple registrations, some do not, so you may have to unregister that provider on the softphone.

When setting it up from your OBi110 Dashboard, if you tick the box to make the provider on sp2 "Primary Line", then your outgoing calls will automatically be routed through the voip provider on sp2. To call out via the pots line you would have to dial **8 followed by the number.

By default the Line Port (POTS) is the default Primary Line. If you wish to leave that so, then you would need to dial **2 followed by the number to make outgoing calls via the voip provider on sp2.

The OBi110 can handle four sessions (calls) at the same time. This means your wife can be using the POTS line from the OBi100 via the OBi110 while you make calls at the same time using the voip provider on sp2.

Next you need to consider what incoming calls ring where. If you followed that hwittenb post, then incoming calls on the POTS line only ring the phone attached to the OBi100. If that's fine then leave it like that. Incoming calls from your new voip provider on sp2 will only call the phone attached to the OBi110. This can be changed if necessary.

Thank you, ianobi.  Your guidance has been followed and everything is working exactly as expected/desired.  I very much appreciate your taking the time to respond to a noob's request for help with pretty vanilla config  (I suspect).  Thanks again.

Take care and be safe.

-t